What do you think of AI?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

What do you think of AI?

Post by reohn2 »

Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Dec 2020, 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Re: What do you think of AI?

Post by gaz »

Are we robot
Or are we dancer?
My sign is vital
My hands are cold
And I'm on my knees
Looking for the answer
Are we robot
Or are we dancer?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
peetee

Post by peetee »

Sophisticate CGI, that’s all.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

peetee wrote:Sophisticate CGI, that’s all.

Right....

If you're just talking deep fakes then to some extent yeah.
However don't underestimate a system that when provided with some footage of you and some voice samples can mimic you in real time using not only your voice but your mannerisms and be manipulated to say anything we want it to.
Obviously *you* know you haven't said it but can you convince everyone else?

But AI is way more than that.
They're solving protein folding problems, engineering problems, medical problems - in fact there's hardly a field where AI isn't helping out.
And it's getting better day by day.

Humans consider ourselves intuitive, but we're intuitive because we can balance five or six variables in our heads and based on experience come up with a possible solution.
AI can balance hundreds to thousands of variables and can be fed several lifetimes worth of "experience". There's no doubt that a lot of our future discoveries will be made using AI.
It's not dissimilar to what computers allowed us to do, but on steroids.

Despite all that though, we're a long way from true intelligence. There are a lot of unique features of humans based on survival, social needs, emotion etc etc that make us what we are, they don't exist for AI's nor is there much need to create them.
AI's will probably always have singular goals rather than the broad tapestry of goals we have.

Obviously that doesn't stop someone training up AI based weapons or your government using them to monitor its citizens.
(Did you know an AI can currently recognise a person with 95% accuracy from the way they walk? Soon there'll be no escape from their gaze... ;) )

On top of that going back to deep fakes, we're about to enter a world where almost nothing can be proven true. In just a few months we've gone from deep fakes requiring lab based computers and sophisticated software to open source software that anyone can use.

Is that your missus with the guy over the road? Doesn't take much to sow the seeds of discontent...
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

After the home becomes altered so that plain biological animals can't tolerate the conditions, then we must turn to hybrid... half-man, half-biscuit? No! Half-man, half-bicycle. Oh Yes.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:Are we robot
Or are we dancer?
My sign is vital
My hands are cold
And I'm on my knees
Looking for the answer
Are we robot
Or are we dancer?

Killer of a poem there Gaz :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, If A.I. is things like my lap-top trying to do predictive inserts when I try to compose my thoughts in e:mails, then no thank you!
Technology should be a servant not a master, my latest computer daftly has a button that if accidentally hit removes curser function? That screwed me up big time, as no paper manual to consult!
Artificial is by its very nature is unnatural!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . All the best for 2021, IGICB MM
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, If A.I. is things like my lap-top trying to do predictive inserts when I try to compose my thoughts in e:mails, then no thank you!
Technology should be a servant not a master, my latest computer daftly has a button that if accidentally hit removes curser function? That screwed me up big time, as no paper manual to consult!
Artificial is by its very nature is unnatural!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . All the best for 2021, IGICB MM

Using predictive text as a benchmark for AI is a bit like saying Bob down the pub is a useless rocket scientist.
Yes he is, but fortunately nobody is asking him to design a rocket.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Another example of artificial intelligence might be the use of analytic data for political purposes. The computer studies the data and comes to certain conclusions and the human takes those conclusions and uses them to make more likely the desired outcome of a vote... thus we are being manipulated by a machine. And as for those whirring electric dog things... OK, OK I know they don't poo, but.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Some wonderful developments. Some of the risks are known and some are...

Our regulatory response is currently about 25% baked.

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote:Some wonderful developments. Some of the risks are known and some are...

Our regulatory response is currently about 25% baked.

Jonathan

There are numbers of areas where that's the case - I remember the animated debate on here re facial recognition technology.
PitPony

Post by PitPony »

Thanks Kwackers , that’s the most interesting informative non-cycling post I’ve read on this forum.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Yo Kwackers, Won't catch me down the pub, even if my name is Bob! I'd get a "Rocket" from SWMBO. Predictive text soaks :oops: MM
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

A.I. was a good film, as I recollect, if a little grim in parts.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

At the Ai event horizon things will happen very fast

they will save our planet and if we are lucky they'll keep us as their pets here

they'll be many times cleverer than us and more alive than us

they are the next dominant species on earth, our true offspring

I hope I live to see the first self packing dishwasher then get to criticise it to its face.
I am here. Where are you?