Day Date Clock

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peetee

Re: Day Date Clock

Post by peetee »

An example of frustrating, ill-thought out technology Mick. And I have another one for you. Our kitchen clock is battery powered and checks it’s time against an internet signal. If the battery fails when you replace it the clock adjusts itself by spinning the hands round at great speed. This is a bit of a drain on a single AA battery but what makes it far worse is that the clock ‘brain’ doesn’t understand that visually 07:00 hours is the same as 19:00 hours. If, for example, I notice one morning at that the clock stopped at 07:30, when I replace the battery the hands fly round over two full revolutions when one and a bit would do. So in a matter of minutes your battery has been drained of a large proportion of its power! I have had the clock about 14 months now and it’s on its fifth battery. :roll:
Last edited by peetee on 1 Jan 2021, 2:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Here we are, 2021, phew!
But my clock query is simple = "Can a water clock really keep good time during a drought"? :roll: :roll: :roll: MM
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Sir, Sir!

"No, because it's always thirst day."

Jonathan
rjb

Post by rjb »

Syd wrote:I have a mechanical watch with day, date, month and moon phase.

It sits in a watch winder when not being worn as it’s a pain to reset it all.

Watch winder - is it human? :lol: :lol: never knew such things existed, can you post a picture.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

photobike wrote:Took 5 seconds in Excel
Brilliant! :D

sjs wrote:Haven't you asked this question before?
D'ya know?
I think you're right.
I have a habit of repeating myself. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

rjb wrote:
Syd wrote:I have a mechanical watch with day, date, month and moon phase.

It sits in a watch winder when not being worn as it’s a pain to reset it all.

Watch winder - is it human? :lol: :lol: never knew such things existed, can you post a picture.

It’s basically a box in which the watch is strapped to a padded cushion. The cushion is then rotated to keep the watch wound. Note they only work on automatic movements.

Movements can be wound either clockwise, anti-clockwise or bi-directional and different movements required a different number of rotations per 24 hour period. These can be adjusted in more expensive models of winders.

An example of one below without a watch in place.

rjb

Post by rjb »

Do such things exist for a manual winder?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Syd

Day Date Clock

Post by Syd »

The only one I can find available is the Orbita Sempre which costs $3,000 for a single and $5,000 for a double winder. Not exactly cheap though a pre-owned one is available on Chrono24 for £528 plus shipping from Russia.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Mick F wrote:The clock we have on the wall in the kitchen (battery driven) has a day and a date window.
The day and date change over at midnight of course, but it's not an automatic system.
This means that when there isn't a 31day month, the date is wrong the following day. The day of the week is always correct of course, so we have to move the date on manually.

Question:
Today, the clock is correct. Friday 1st.
On Monday Feb 1st it'll be correct too, as January has 31days in it.
By the time we get to Monday 1st March, the date will be shown as 29th. April, June and September will exacerbate this issue.

So .......... if we never corrected the date, when will the clock's date be correct again?

Yep and in under a month. You just need to remove the battery.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker