If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Poll ended at 31 Jan 2021, 4:35pm

Vote for the Trade Agreement
44%
Vote against the Trade Agreement
23%
Abstain
33%

Total votes: 43

al_yrpal

Re: If you were an MP how would you vote on Brexit Trade deal?

Post by al_yrpal »

Jdsk wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Its up to us Brits to think positively and get out there and do the business in growing markets.

Any suggestions of the economic sectors in which these opportunities are waiting to be grasped?

Thanks

Jonathan

Financial services is the obvious one. Education another - the Engish language gives us a massive advantage. Culture, music, theatre....And everything where we have expertise and is now freed from EU red tape.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

al_yrpal wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Its up to us Brits to think positively and get out there and do the business in growing markets.

Any suggestions of the economic sectors in which these opportunities are waiting to be grasped?

Financial services is the obvious one. Education another - the Engish language gives us a massive advantage. Culture, music, theatre....And everything where we have expertise and is now freed from EU red tape.

Yes, all great opportunities.

Perhaps you could add the ways in which Membership of the EU was holding each of those back... ?

Thanks

Jonathan
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Jdsk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:"How does trading with Europe conflict with trade with Asia?"

It doesnt, all he is saying is that Britain should concentrate its export efforts on dynamic growing markets not on schlerotic diminishing ones.

Its up to us Brits to think positively and get out there and do the business in growing markets.

Al

But there's no reason why the UK couldn't do that whilst still being an EU member

Exactly. But the new situation is much worse than neutral... we're going to deliberately shrink our home market. That makes building new export markets much much harder.

In addition to the education market the UK is very good in many areas of high technology, including computing which was also identified by mikeymo. But very few of the big projects are single company or single country any more, aerospace being an obvious example. I don't expect it will be long before we see that Leaving wasn't brilliant for Airbus...

Jonathan

Quite!
But in Al_yrpal's mind the world's our oyster,a stance he's been proved wrong on so mamy times it's getting tedious especially when he can't or won't back it up with facts other than stories secondhand from some of his overseas friends he keeps on mentioning,none of which seem to know any better than him.
The whole Brexit thing is as been stated so many times will be a disaster for the UK and couldn't have come at a worse time with the pandemic to contend with on top of it.
The words 'perfect' and 'storm' are ones that keep cropping up in my mind,but then according to Al,I and the many others who keep on pointing out these things either have no vision or are just a bunch of Trots who hate their own country so much we're prepared to run it down to prove him wrong :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You said it! And, you never proved anything. If every exporting business had a totally negative attitude like you and your mates Britain would sink without trace. Brexit is an opportunity. Thank goodness for our exporters, our Scientists, Engineers, Financial Wizards and Entrepreneurs!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the meantime, the MPs voted largely in accordance with their party whips
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote:You said it! And, you never proved anything. If every exporting business had a totally negative attitude like you and your mates Britain would sink without trace. Brexit is an opportunity. Thank goodness for our exporters, our Scientists, Engineers, Financial Wizards and Entrepreneurs!

Al

Come on Al explain how sclerotic Germany manages to export far more outside the EU than dynamic Britain does?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:You said it! And, you never proved anything. If every exporting business had a totally negative attitude like you and your mates Britain would sink without trace. Brexit is an opportunity. Thank goodness for our exporters, our Scientists, Engineers, Financial Wizards and Entrepreneurs!

Al

When you've proved me wrong I'll be the first to apologise,until then I'll stick to my opinion and what I'm seeing before me,which isn't good,not by a long shot!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:

Al

Come on Al explain how sclerotic Germany manages to export far more outside the EU than dynamic Britain does?

You won't get an answer from someone who doesn't have one.
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Al

Most of our scientists have spent their time telling us how science will take a hammering post brexit as we've been excluded from more and more EU funded research.

Perhaps it's just their negative attitude, I'd remove them from your list if I was you.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Al

You won't get an answer from someone who doesn't have one.

Al's answer to everything is to shoot the messenger. Always an easy way out, one can say whatever pops into ones tiny skull with impunity if you don't have to back it up.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Our scientists will continue to do their thing regardless of EU borders. Projects like CERN, rapid inexpensive, easily delivered vaccine development or our Satellite expertise dont depend on the EU. Britain got through the awful 1970s despite the wreckers best efforts. We will prosper in the current decade. A country thats exporting EV battery manufacturing lines to China isnt dead yet. We cant possibly be at the forefront of everything but we seem to do very well.

Al
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

al_yrpal wrote:Our scientists will continue to do their thing regardless of EU borders. Projects like CERN, rapid inexpensive, easily delivered vaccine development or our Satellite expertise dont depend on the EU. Britain got through the awful 1970s despite the wreckers best efforts. We will prosper in the current decade. A country thats exporting EV battery manufacturing lines to China isnt dead yet. We cant possibly be at the forefront of everything but we seem to do very well.

Al

They will do their thing. Most of them will move abroad.
If you're a scientist working on a large EU project is the dream. Working for a pittance on small projects in the UK isn't.
Not only that but the quality of scientists we could attract is reduced for the same reasons. You need a good reason to come to the UK now when all the big projects are elsewhere.
Of course we could attempt to fix that by investing more in science but that's never been our way.

Whilst not science, pre-2016 the company I work for could expect several enquires a week from folk outside the UK looking for work in computers. Now it's such a rare occurrence it gets special mention. Trouble is they're not even good candidates.

I'm interested in what EV battery manufacturing lines we're exporting to China?
Most of the EV tech we buy in - including the batteries.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

They will do their thing. Most Scientists will move abroad. :lol: :lol: :lol: Our top export? Lots do go to the US, a tolerable country with no language barrier...

Al :lol:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Al
You appear to be agreeing with Kwackers :roll:
W H Auden
Debs

Post by Debs »

al_yrpal wrote:They will do their thing. Most Scientists will move abroad. :lol: :lol: :lol: Our top export?...

Al :lol:

The top Brexit Britain export will be £-billions of tax avoidance going off-shore. The number 1 reason for Brexit.