New Year Honours Dec 2020

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: New Year Honours Dec 2020

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am an elderly left-winger, I just detest 'motor sport'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

Bonefishblues wrote:I'm interested in what one has to do to deserve the title 'tax cheat'.

He's also a cheat at motor sport, keeps turning up with a faster car.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I'm interested in what one has to do to deserve the title 'tax cheat'.

In Lewis Hamilton's case being the sort of person elderly right wingers dislike i.e. young, not white and with more money than them.

Don't forget the tattoos and the fashion.

Yep. Don't recall them criticising Roger Moore's knighthood even though the "tax cheat" had been living in Monaco since the early eighties.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Yes I did.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

pete75 wrote:
You haven't explained why private individuals shouldn't be "tax cheats" when senior members of the government are themselves "tax cheats"? Surely the latter are the most deserving of criticism.

I don't need to explain anything because I make no distinction between them. All are deserving of criticism.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

bikepacker wrote:
pete75 wrote:
You haven't explained why private individuals shouldn't be "tax cheats" when senior members of the government are themselves "tax cheats"? Surely the latter are the most deserving of criticism.

I don't need to explain anything because I make no distinction between them. All are deserving of criticism.

Are ISAs cheating? Pensions? I am interested in the distinctions you make between ways to reduce tax paid.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bikepacker wrote:Yes I did.

Evidence please.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Ask my MP.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
bikepacker wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Are ISAs cheating? Pensions? I am interested in the distinctions you make between ways to reduce tax paid.

My wife is one of Bikepacker's "tax cheats". She actually puts all her office expenses, tax salaries, premises and equipment costs against her tax bill. Everyone running a business does the same though I'm sure holier than though Backpacker wouldn't have done had he ever the gumption to run a business.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

bikepacker wrote:Ask my MP.

And who might that be?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
bikepacker wrote:

My wife is one of Bikepacker's "tax cheats". She actually puts all her office expenses, tax salaries, premises and equipment costs against her tax bill. Everyone running a business does the same though I'm sure holier than though Backpacker wouldn't have done had he ever the gumption to run a business.

As a Contractor I pay myself via a Limited Company, via a mix of dividends & salary, so I am interested to see my own Cheat Quotient.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Hamilton is not a tax cheat because he is not breaking tax laws. But I don believe he should receive an honour because he doesn't contribute to British society via his taxes.
John
colin54

Post by colin54 »

An BBC article here about Hamilton's tax affairs and knighthood, fair play to him, he's at the pinnacle of a worldwide sport. Something to be celebrated in my opinion.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54965544
Quote from the article :- HM Revenues and Customs 2019 figures put him ''within the top 5000 highest UK income tax payers''.
Nu-Fogey
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I read earlier this week that Hamiltons Tax affairs were 'misunderstood' and that Johnson personally intervened to get him nominated after pressure from within.
Everything in our system is corrupt.
Scrap the honours list completely for me.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

He must be dodgy if he's being defended by Johnson!!!! :lol: