How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Pebble

Re: How's your weather?

Post by Pebble »

has been below freezing for days, now we have heavy rain and it is still below freezing - those roads are going to be fun.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Mick F wrote:
colin54 wrote: .......... from the Side of Ashurst Hill, West Lanc's.
Lived in Newburgh and often went up Ashurst and to the beacon too. Father-in Law and Mother-in-Law's ashes are scattered up near the beacon.

Quite a lot of people leave flowers next to the beacon as a remembrance.
This probably wasn't there in your day but there's a bronze plaque mounted on a plinth about 50 yards away showing what can be seen on a clear day, (cropped to be readable) & click..
P1120222.JPG

P1120222.JPG

...and here's a young polar bear perched on the same plinth a few days later drinking from a giant bottle of beer (if you close one eye and squint).
Have a happy and whimsical New Year !
P1120242.JPG
Nu-Fogey
peetee

Post by peetee »

It looks very frosty out there. I was walking up the valley at midnight and the roads were treacherous. It rained til 8pm and judging by the stippled ice on the car it was freezing as it landed. The roads are very icy. I’m tempted to ride off-road today but it’s going to be difficult to get anywhere without using some tarmac sections.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Tamar Valley is a frozen valley this morning, and I knew it would be.
Damp wet sleet, turned to damp wet hail, then frozen hail.
Thawed a bit, and then froze solid.

I don't think we can safely leave the front door as the drive is an ice-sheet.
Still solid now, and it's 10am.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Give it an hour, and I'll walk the dog. I'm ok with my boots on I would think, and I'd like to see what the lanes are like.
I'll risk it.

Cuppa time now. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

It was looking frosty last night, but this morning the cars were frost free and there is no frost on the fields. But my traction for this morning's excursion (due to start soon) will be walking boots.

(S Wales coastal)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Thick hoar frost in West Somerset. We are lighting the woodburner and locking down. Happy New Year one and all.. heres to better times.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

An hour's walk.
Very very icy and treacherous in places.

Here's a photo of a lane near here. Rather steep uphill but the photo doesn't do the hill justice. OS has it with two chevrons.
The tyre tracks and the footprints look wet, but they are solid ice. Me and the dog walked on the grass! :shock:
IMG_0247.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

No snow here in Edinburgh except is extremely shaded spots that dont see sun. Occasional icy patches on footpaths.

Sun is out and clear skies. Temperature currently 2 degrees C. Went out for a pleasant walk at 8am with the moon still dominating in the sky.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Walking for me too this morning. Amazingly we had snow overnight too. Although only a dusting on north facing slopes.
CE3A6780-6883-4174-AAA2-BF186A09CB43.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Beautiful crisp morning here in Somerset. Roads still lethal as they aren't salted. Extensive flooding has closed several roads. This is the view from North Curry church - the Cathedral of the Moors as it's known. May try ice skates, not worth risking the bike, could possibly get into Taunton on the river or canal. :lol:

IMG_20210102_102808.jpg
IMG_20210102_103250.jpg
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Syd wrote:No snow here in Edinburgh except is extremely shaded spots that dont see sun. Occasional icy patches on footpaths.

Sun is out and clear skies. Temperature currently 2 degrees C. Went out for a pleasant walk at 8am with the moon still dominating in the sky.

I see it was a different story this morning in Edinburgh
Lawnmarket
Lawnmarket
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Syd

Post by Syd »

Paulatic wrote:
Syd wrote:No snow here in Edinburgh except is extremely shaded spots that dont see sun. Occasional icy patches on footpaths.

I see it was a different story this morning in Edinburgh
20BE284D-C3A4-4F23-B19F-82317B8CA125.jpeg

Yes, was about a 20 minute flurry. Cleared quite where there was foot traffic and the sun hit but still a bit white elsewhere due to low air temperatures.

Went for a walk earlier and was pleasantly warming waiting in the sun outside a shop whilst Mrs Syd did some essential shopping.
sjs

Post by sjs »

Grey skies, low single figure daytime temperatures, overnight frosts and until recently a lot of rain, here in Herts. Footpaths muddier than I've ever known them.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

In Nottingham yesterday was ok for 20 miles on Brompton on minor and major urban roads, but light snow yesterday appears to have frozen overnight. Major A route into city only 100 yards away and will I expect be ok to ride, but it's down hill from here and I would probably have to slide down to it!
Open garage doors and an hour on the turbo in the open air seems the safe option this a.m.