Cold weather charging

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Grandad

Cold weather charging

Post by Grandad »

My car is a tight fit in our integral garage - only a Hyundai Matrix but lots of storage racks. The Orbea Gain lives in an unheated shed and in this recent cold weather I need to get it into the garage to charge it. I don't like leaving the car outside in bad weather in case I need it for an emergency - always a possibility with a semi-invalid wife.

The bike fits in the car wheels in if I drop the rear seats so this means I can keep both in the garage. Which brings me to the question - is there any problem charging the battery whilst the bike is laying down? I suspect not but want to make sure.
willcee

Re: Cold weather charging

Post by willcee »

A mate is on his 2nd Gain ,in cold weather the carbon one he has now is wheeled directly from his large workshop shed into his pensioners bungalow and charged in the warm and stored behind his kitchen table in his small kitchen, reason , my battery guy warned us not to try to charge or store any li/ battery in the cold,or indeed winter store it fully charged, he's just had his expensive auxiliary battery replaced under warranty after a few months of uncertainty from both dealer and Orbea..my own custom 15,17&22 amp batteries are stored indoors, charged indoors and if left outside in my wooden built workshop are wrapped in heavy old cloth bedding wrapped over the frame ..In service my experience of cold conditions does affect them by as much as 20+%... never been left wanting on any ride but it takes sometimes 2/3 hours longer to charge up..will
hemo

Post by hemo »

The storage of li cells/batteries in the cold it self isn't an issue the main issue is charging them when cold, though they charge to full voltage they don't accept full capacity.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Thanks. The boiler is in the garage so although it's not as warm as in the house it's well above the shed temperature.
peterb

Post by peterb »

What temperature would 'cold' be? I keep (and charge) my gain in an unheated but insulated garage attached to the house that at the moment is fairly consistently between 40 - 50 " F.
hemo

Post by hemo »

40 is getting a little low though probably acceptable, mostl from what I read it is at about freezing or below where charging capacity level is less in the cold. Though voltage reading may read normal the cold retards actual capacity retention, this is temporary and the capacity does recover when charged in ambient temps which are warmer.
peterb

Post by peterb »

Thanks. Until this winter the ebike was kept inside the house, in the study, along with my other bikes, but relocation has provided a large garage space for them. I haven't noticed any drop in performance or range as yet. I'll keep an eye on the temperature and bring the bike into the house proper to charge it if it gets colder.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

is there any problem charging the battery whilst the bike is laying down? I suspect not but want to make sure.

In the absence of any reply to this I assume there is no problem.
willcee

Post by willcee »

SOrry no one has responded to your last query about laying down when charging . so long as the wires are not stressed and the charger has some air around it ,they can get warm and as others have said in the past you keep a wary eye on the proceedings I wouldn't stress too much about that ..
I would however draw your attention to laying any hydro braked bike on its side, its a warning issued by Shimano , neither on its side or upended.. that said I transport mine in my estate on its side for a 20min journey when I go cycling with a mate, and 'my bad' if its lashing with rain on my return sometimes its left overnite in the car.. I am aware however and do a brake check each time before I remount.. WILL
stodd

Post by stodd »

I suspect 'not laying down when charging' was a reasonable rule in the far gone days of lead acid ebike batteries; but not important now (at least as pointed out above, not important as far as the battery is concerned).
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I would however draw your attention to laying any hydro braked bike on its side, its a warning issued by Shimano , neither on its side or upended.

Nice to know there is one advantage to my basic cable operated brakes :D
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Early morning here in Thailand its freezing (~24 deg c) but haven't seen much of a difference in batter life like you guys are seeing in the UK
Neil
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Is there not a case for having removable batteries? Even if it might spoil the profile and aesthetics of the bike?
John