camera with long life battery?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nez

camera with long life battery?

Post by nez »

I have had a Gopro Hero4 for some years and the only thing wrong with it is the battery... but what a fault. In terms of battery life it is hopeless. Can anyone suggest a forward facing and preferably cheap action camera with a really long battery life? Brand doesn't matter to me - it could be made by Okey Kokey Shotun for all I care. It just needs to keep rolling. Thanks
gazza_d

Re: camera with long life battery?

Post by gazza_d »

Drift Ghost range.
Ghost XL is £150, 1080p and has a 9 hour battery life.
Designed as a helmet cam too so a lot sleeker and discrete than something with a GoPro form factor.
I have a Ghost X and it's spot on
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks Gazza. Will one of those clip on to the bike somewhere? It looks like it's designed for helmets whereas I don't always use a helmet
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I use a USB powered dash cam, powered from a dynamo setup... That gets pretty good battery life...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

nez wrote:Thanks Gazza. Will one of those clip on to the bike somewhere? It looks like it's designed for helmets whereas I don't always use a helmet

I never wear a helmet so fitted to bike.
I stuck the mount onto a bit of flat plastic sheet cable tied to the bars and stem. That's good as you can use the qr mount.
I've since progressed to using a generic alloy GoPro bar mount and tripod adaptor as the drift has a tripod socket in the base
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nez wrote:Thanks Gazza. Will one of those clip on to the bike somewhere? It looks like it's designed for helmets whereas I don't always use a helmet

I'd read the reviews before buying a Drift Ghost.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nez

Post by nez »

reohn2 wrote:

Thanks. They’re all a bit up and down. Anything specific?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

nez wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Thanks. They’re all a bit up and down. Anything specific?

Reading through the negative reviews it seems the after sales support is pretty bad if you have problems,and there seems to be quite a few people who have had problems.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I have an SJ4000 which is essentially a poor mans goPro. I have this tethered to an external 10A battery and it is good for 20 hours, not that I ever ride 20hrs in one go but it does mean I only have to charge it up once a week
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Battery life tends to vary drastically according to the settings you're using, so if you don't need it to look really nice you can run it at the lowest recording resolution/framerate with image stabilisation etc turned off and it should give you way longer on a single charge.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

When I bought my bikecam battery life was obviously going to be an issue for those cams where the battery was built in.

I'm not sure what the modern versions do, but my Garmin Virb has a removable battery, so I keep a spare. between them I get about 5 hours or so on the high-quality image setting, depending on how cold it is out there.

If I wanted more, then carrying an extra spare battery would reliably give me up to 8 hours.

Camera - and batteries - are about 5 years old, I used to get almost 3 hours from a charge.

The "cost" of course is in the weight of the camera with its (probably) physically bigger battery and the battery compartment.

The camera could also take power from an external power pack - which would be bigger and heavier than either the spare battery I carry on longer rides, or the camera itself.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
nez

Post by nez »

Thanks for these replies. Apple mail has been quietly putting them in the junk. God knows what apple has against Cycle uk - perhaps they’re CTC diehards!
RickH

Post by RickH »

nez wrote:Thanks for these replies. Apple mail has been quietly putting them in the junk. God knows what apple has against Cycle uk - perhaps they’re CTC diehards!

It is a technical issue basically because the from address is Cycling UK but the server sending it isn't. With Gmail I, & others, needed to set up a filter that stopped them going in junk/spam.

See this post & surrounding discussion for more info.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
nez

Post by nez »

RickH wrote:
nez wrote:Thanks for these replies. Apple mail has been quietly putting them in the junk. God knows what apple has against Cycle uk - perhaps they’re CTC diehards!

It is a technical issue basically because the from address is Cycling UK but the server sending it isn't. With Gmail I, & others, needed to set up a filter that stopped them going in junk/spam.

See this post & surrounding discussion for more info.

Thanks Rick - very helpful.