R or W?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
LollyKat

Re: R or W?

Post by LollyKat »

Jdsk wrote:Rhotic consonant:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotic_consonant

It's common for people who do it routinely to find it difficult or impossible to make the more common r sound.
But isn't always an impediment. It's been used as a cultural style, most obviously in upper class speech in England in the nineteenth century.

Jonathan

Wemember Woy Jenkins of the SDP? :D (Now I come to think of it he was Welsh)
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Jdsk wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:One of my pet hates is Aaarx for ask.Seems to be a Southern thing.

It has a fascinating history, and a current cultural relevance:
"Why Chaucer Said 'Ax' Instead Of 'Ask,' And Why Some Still Do"
https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/12/03/248515217/why-chaucer-said-ax-instead-of-ask-and-why-some-still-do?t=1609783712697

Jonathan

Interesting.
Stevek76 wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:A cycling friend of mine pronounces Bath Baaarf.

Well the f is off, but Bath is very much pronounced Baarth if you're from these parts with the amount of 'r' varying depending on the amount of west country being added... :wink:

See 'Trap Bath Split'.

He's not from the West Country he's from Sarf Laaandan :wink:
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote:so ...................... it's a regional thing?
Same as (as already been said) that some people say F instead of Th ............Fings ain't wot they used to be?

I cannot for the life of me remember any single person I knew in Lancashire who pronounced Fings or Fwogs.

what if you had both st the same time ? this fwead could get very confusing
I am here. Where are you?
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

And a Bison is the thing Aussies use for hand washing.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I quite enjoy hearing regional accents in TV interviews.
What I detest is the way some young people, born in the UK, adopt the rapper way of speaking.
I guess most will grow out of it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

francovendee wrote:I quite enjoy hearing regional accents in TV interviews.
What I detest is the way some young people, born in the UK, adopt the rapper way of speaking.

Like Tony Blair, educated at Fettes, adopted Essex speak.
John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Starting each sentence with "So" is now mandatory for young folk and old fools who think they're young. I find this frustrating as your mind is hunting for the previous statement the "So" refers to and you don't then take in what the rest of the message is about.
I am here. Where are you?
Ride-sleep-repeat

Yo Am 53 Fam innit.Get wiv it guy!

:lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:Wigginers pronounce mild as maald
No they don't.
Or at least they didn't when I was dragged up there. Lived there from age 3 to age 19 and was connected there until the 1990s.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote:Starting each sentence with "So" is now mandatory for young folk and old fools who think they're young. I find this frustrating as your mind is hunting for the previous statement the "So" refers to and you don't then take in what the rest of the message is about.

Discussed earlier in the thread, including its long and distinguished history. As with any construction it can be overused.

Jonathan
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
No they don't.
Or at least they didn't when I was dragged up there. Lived there from age 3 to age 19 and was connected there until the 1990s.

The word mild is pronounced by Wiganers as maald with the double aa being said like you'd pronouce baa as in a sheep's call,the word tile is spoken similarly.
I've lived in within 6 miles of Wigan all my life and worked with Wiganers (pronouced Wiggin by natives who speak in the broad vernacular),16 years in mining in a pit(Parkside Colliery Newron le Willows)that due to other small pits in the area that closed,drew miners from a 10 mile radius of Wigan(the most mined area in Europe),and the remaining 30 years in construction with a smaller catchment of people.
I can even tell which part of Wigan they come from or been brought up in,the difference between a Chorley or Coppull accent where they tend emphasise the letter 'r' more than Wiganers and which becomes stronger the closer they live to Preston.
Or some slight differences in accent and dialect between Wiganers and Leigh(sometimes pronounced Leyth by Leigh inhabitants).
I don't claim to be clever or a dialect expert but I know and can recognise the Wigan dialect within three or four words of it being spoken.
My natural dialect when spoken is so strong that when speaking with a fellow Wiganer people from outside the North West need a transation and can only catchnthe odd word! :)
There a forum member who I've ridden with a frpew time who's from darn sarf says some words I use in confersation with him need a translation as he doesn't recognise them :)
You've been away from Wiggin to long,not that a blame thi :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ride-sleep-repeat

francovendee wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

The really sad thing is there's one of the dads who used to be outside my sons Junior school that spoke like that and he was well into his 30s :roll: I heard him speak a few days ago in Coop and he's still doing it.He has to be 40 by now.He sounds ridiculous :| If he was one of my mates I'd have to have a word :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
No they don't.

The word mild is pronounced by Wiganers as maald with the double aa being said like you'd pronouce baa as in a sheep's call,the word tile is spoken similarly.
I've lived in within 6 miles of Wigan all my life and worked with Wiganers (pronouced Wiggin by natives who speak in the broad vernacular),16 years in mining in a pit(Parkside Colliery Newron le Willows)that due to other small pits in the area that closed,drew miners from a 10 mile radius of Wigan(the most mined area in Europe),and the remaining 30 years in construction with a smaller catchment of people.
I can even tell which part of Wigan they come from or been brought up in,the difference between a Chorley or Coppull accent where they tend emphasise the letter 'r' more than Wiganers and which becomes stronger the closer they live to Preston.
Or some slight differences in accent and dialect between Wiganers and Leigh(sometimes pronounced Leyth by Leigh inhabitants).
I don't claim to be clever or a dialect expert but I know and can recognise the Wigan dialect within three or four words of it being spoken.
My natural dialect when spoken is so strong that when speaking with a fellow Wiganer people from outside the North West need a transation and can only catchnthe odd word! :)
There a forum member who I've ridden with a frpew time who's from darn sarf says some words I use in confersation with him need a translation as he doesn't recognise them :)
You've been away from Wiggin to long,not that a blame thi :D
R2, I bow down to your credentials. :D

Dad and his family were born and bred in Wigan - Gidlow and Standish Lowerground. Mum and her family were born and bred in Coppull ................... and had a "Preston" R.

Maybe my accent and my family's accent is more from the northern side of Wigan? Standish maybe as we lived at 61 Chorley Rd Standish. Went to primary school at St Michaels, Swinley (since demolished) Earl Street, out beyond Standish Gate on the left.

Later, I went to Shevington County Secondary (since called Shevington High) when we lived in Wrightington and later when we lived in Newburgh.

So ................... I don't have a "Wigan" accent, but a West Lancashire accent?
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

reohn2 wrote:
Mick F wrote:
No they don't.

There a forum member who I've ridden with a few time who's from darn sarf says some words I use in confersation with him need a translation as he doesn't recognise them :)

Maybe you've never had to say maald before Mick, only bitter. :)

If that's me r2, I wouldn't say sarf, I'd say saauth, being from 'artfordshire originally not, 'ackney.
Mind you when I left grammar school I would probably have said 'dine sithe' for me sins, I soon lost that in the world of work !
Nu-Fogey