Is there any difference between pedal reflector brands?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mr Tom

Is there any difference between pedal reflector brands?

Post by Mr Tom »

I've got regular pedals not spds and I like to have reflectors on them. I've found that the reflective bit seems to fall out quite often, not sure if it's from getting hit or just from vibration. I've used ones with metal threads and also push in plastic ones. I've tried replacing the missing part and gluing them in place but it doesn't seem to help. Is there a particular brand which will last longer or is it just something I should accept and buy a big box of them to have as spares?
Nigel

Re: Is there any difference between pedal reflector brands?

Post by Nigel »

Assuming the threaded ones come undone at the nut, then those with metal threads may stay longer if fitted with anti-vibration washers, and possibly the addition of some thread-lock (or varnish) on the threads before fitting the nut.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

nylock nuts are a pretty good solution to nuts unscrewing themselves.

However pedal reflectors that bolt on are basically afterthoughts, and almost invariably easy to damage/lose. If you are keen to have reflectors , it is much the best idea to use pedals are designed for it, eg which have the reflectors mounted in recesses in the pedal body.

Its not strictly legal but using yellow self-adhesive reflexite is better than nothing and similarly better than a reflector that is going to break and/or fall off.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

I secured my reflectors to the pedals with nyloc nuts, but the plastic reflectors are glued to the mounting bracket and tend to come unstuck. I ended up just replacing with reflective tape, once the reflectors come unstuck. If anyone finds any decent makes, I would be interested to hear.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I'm assuming you have this sort of arrangement;

IMHO this is barely fit for service, and whether the reflectors fit via plastic bayonets or small bolts through a plastic housing it matters little; if they stick out like afterthoughts such reflectors will get broken and fall off, time and time again. If I wanted to I could pick dozens of the things off the roads where I live, anyplace where a cyclist has to put their feet down is where the reflectors break and fall off, presumably as feet are put back on pedals. Until fairly recently you could buy reflectors mounted in metal housings which were more robust, but no longer it seems. The two-bolt mounting is a hangover from toe-clips. Plastic reflector housings often have slotted mountings for the bolts which further weakens them.

As I mentioned previously the best choice is probably pedals which have reflectors in integrated/recessed mountings;

this isn't bad but the top edge of the reflectors is still exposed and this will allow damage.

this is a better design. The reflector insert is usually standard and if necessary can be replaced, typically sliding in a slot which faces inboard.

One of the few available bolt-on alternatives is this one (for bromptons)
but it is expensive, doesn't fit other pedals that easily, and still isn't unbreakable.

If you are keen to mount reflectors on your existing pedals once, and do it right, I'd suggest a little amateur metalwork may provide a solution. If you take some ~1.5mm thickness aluminium sheet you can fold it into a simple 'C' shaped bracket so that it will accommodate (and protect) a pedal reflector insert. Two holes with CSK screws and nylocks will secure each bracket to the pedals. Double-sided tape (of the sort that is used to secure trim onto cars, with a foam backing) can be used to secure the reflector insert in position. Provided the insert is underflush with the sides of the C-shaped bracket, it should be a robust and secure arrangement.

You can also drill the inserts themselves and pass the bolts (which should not be CSK type in this case) through them too. However if you do this, you can't tighten the screws fully (not without cracking the insert), and you will be reliant on spring washers and nylocks to hold everything well enough without it moving around too much. If you go this way, and use 5mm screws, I advise 5.0mm holes through the brackets, and 6.0mm holes through the reflector inserts. This way when you stomp on them, any shear load will always be taken through the bracket into the pedal, not through the insert. The end result is strictly not legal because part of the reflector is obscured by the bolt heads.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 6 Jan 2021, 8:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

They are all cheap and nasty. My main source is the family cycle trail near me. I always have a surplus even though I smash/lose them on a weekly basis.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It's a little bit more hassle but you could always use some reflective ankle slapstraps instead.They'll be just as visible and give the same movement pattern, and should last longer.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

gregoryoftours wrote:It's a little bit more hassle but you could always use some reflective ankle slapstraps instead.They'll be just as visible and give the same movement pattern, and should last longer.

... but are not on their own legal between dusk and dawn - assuming the bicycle was manufactured since the mid-1980s - which is perhaps why the OP wanted something specifically for their pedals rather than to slap around their ankles.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Mr Tom wrote:I I've found that the reflective bit seems to fall out quite often,?

+ 1. Have to admit for twelve years now, I've found the ultra cheap, moulded resin pedals from Wilko are best! £4.99 a pair.

Made the mistake of buying a brand name, metal pair at considerable cost 4 years ago, thinking they'd last. The reflectors lasted a few months at best
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Blob of hot glue or silicone or builders glue on the back works.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

vintage cibie pedal reflectors as above occasionally appear on ebay, NOS. They are less likely to break or allow the inserts to fall out.

cheers
tommydog

Post by tommydog »

Brucey wrote:vintage cibie pedal reflectors as above occasionally appear on ebay, NOS. They are less likely to break or allow the inserts to fall out.

I like the look of these. Are these what you were referring to in your previous post when you said "Until fairly recently you could buy reflectors mounted in metal housings which were more robust."

I may well have a look out for these.
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

I've been using this style pedal reflector for as long as I can remember, and they are still available:

Pedal Reflectors.jpg

With replacement nyloc nuts I've never had one fall off. One set has a few cracks in the plastic frames surrounding the relective bits but they must be decades old.
Mr Tom

Post by Mr Tom »

Thanks for all the ideas! The problem for me specifically was the reflective bits falling out, rather than the nuts coming loose. I tried superglue but that wasn't any good. I'll experiment with some of the ideas on here and see what I can come up with.

My pedals are this kind...

48401-63357-full-1180-we795s-83.jpg

So should be possible to find some that at quite well protected by the pedal. The current ones stick out a bit. Will have a look around online
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

tommydog wrote:
Brucey wrote:vintage cibie pedal reflectors as above occasionally appear on ebay, NOS. They are less likely to break or allow the inserts to fall out.

I like the look of these. Are these what you were referring to in your previous post when you said "Until fairly recently you could buy reflectors mounted in metal housings which were more robust."...

yes but it is not the only sort that used to be available. FWIW I suspect that DIY brackets of the sort I described earlier could be made stronger even than that.

cheers