Bike insured by your home insurance?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

Bike insured by your home insurance?

Post by simonineaston »

A heads-up for folks who expect that their bike/s are covered under the terms of the household conents insurance. In this short consumer-watchdog piece, we learn that insurers may not consider the cycles covered unless sepcifically named.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
mjr

Re: Bike insured by your home insurance?

Post by mjr »

The linked item is more about comparison sites failing to pass details on to insurer sites. Check before you click buy.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Good question. Mine are insured via my FFCT membership but it's worth checking. It's also worth checking for "unless otherwise insured" clauses.

I wonder what happens if you have two policies which include that proviso. Do they cancel each other out so that neither indemnifies you? :o
Have we got time for another cuppa?
PH

Post by PH »

Audax67 wrote:I wonder what happens if you have two policies which include that proviso. Do they cancel each other out so that neither indemnifies you? :o

According to an ex-broker friend (Before all things were online) you claim from the most appropriate or specific, declare the other/s, one insurer handles the claim and counter claims from the other/s if appropriate. Though apparently they usually don't for anything other than a huge claim, expecting the same in return and for it to average out.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The answer is to use a broker who will find an appropriate policy.

My broker has me with AXA with pedal cycles declared as named valuables. Much like you might name a Rolex or granny's heirloom diamonds.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mine is as a specified item.
John
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Try TSB for house/bike insurance. The automatic cover for bikes on your house insurance disappered years ago, along with automatic cover for mobile phones, and for much the same reason - high incidences of fraudulent claims from people getting upgrades at the insurance compani expense, at a time when bikes became more and more fashionable in the "you must have this year's model" sense.

I never use comparison sites, did try it once when I was trying to get insurance for a classic car a few years back. My car insurer at the time wouldn't touch classic cars, 2 comparison web sites gave several options for it - both had at the top of thier lists quotes from - my current insurer! Waste of time. A few colleagues (in a financial institutuion) referred to one of them as "Confused - you will be!"
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Our home insurance policy covers a bike worth under £1000 automatically and any over that if individually listed. UK and European use though I guess the latter will go now.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Audax67 wrote:Good question. Mine are insured via my FFCT membership but it's worth checking. It's also worth checking for "unless otherwise insured" clauses.

I wonder what happens if you have two policies which include that proviso. Do they cancel each other out so that neither indemnifies you? :o

Given what some insurance companies are like very probably.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker