winter socks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Re: winter socks

Post by horizon »

bongo wrote:
The sealskinz might be worth a try next but at £40 a pair, yikes.

Don't worry, you won't get a pair for love nor money at the moment. Stocks everywhere have run out and the next shipment is probably in a boat half way between China and here.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

If you don't want overshoes or winter cycling boots, then socks alone will not cut it.

I suggest some builders boots. There are some that look like more robust normal shoes, but these are often wind and waterproof. They're also insulated as builders spend a lot of time outside.

I have a pair I use for DIY, gardening, car maintenance and have been using these in the last few days for running errands on the bike. Feet have been toasty.

Can be bought for a lot less than Sealskinz socks.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:You seem to be setting impossible criteria.

I'd say that different socks in the same shoes are unlikely to make a noticeable improvement and if they are any thicker are likely to make things worse. Once you have eschewed overshoes, then bigger shoes + thicker socks or two pairs thin socks, must be the only way.

+b 1 to that tc - I recognise the voice of experience............
horizon

Post by horizon »

Cyclewala wrote:If you don't want overshoes or winter cycling boots, then socks alone will not cut it.

That wasn't/isn't my experience. Sealskinz do make my feet a lot warmer. They also deal to some extent with the open nature of Shimano cycling shoes (both the sole and the mesh top). Having said that, I would like an adequate pair of cycling shoes to obviate the need for mega-socks. In the meantime, it's sealskinz.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

JohnW wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:You seem to be setting impossible criteria.

I'd say that different socks in the same shoes are unlikely to make a noticeable improvement and if they are any thicker are likely to make things worse. Once you have eschewed overshoes, then bigger shoes + thicker socks or two pairs thin socks, must be the only way.

+b 1 to that tc - I recognise the voice of experience............

I agree. Cramming more socks into the same size shoes doesn't help.

If overshoes are "out" then the only way is bigger shoes to create space for socks within. As the questioner said they're a hill walker, I'd ask whether they can ride reliably in walking boots/shoes on flat pedals ? That's my "its really cold" option, though I would choose overshoes for less extreme.

At a price, there are electric foot warmers, sold for skiing use. Typically have a small battery pack worn around the ankle.

- Nigel (in southern Scotland)
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I have ShowerPass waterproof socks.

I normally wear running socks (fairly thick) and a pair of trainers to cycle in.
Pedals have toe clips without straps.
The trainers are large enough to accommodate the waterproof socks.
Generally have kept my feet toasty including cycling through floods (which was the reason to buy the WP socks in the first place).
nomm

Post by nomm »

I recently bought some of the winter sealskinz (although they were in the sale at £30 rather than £42) to replace my leaky 10yr old pair - they are excellent at warmth/dryness, also get used for trekking and has meant less overshoe use this year thus far
crossy

Post by crossy »

How do you use your sealskin socks? On their own or on top of another pair of socks.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
horizon

Post by horizon »

crossy wrote:How do you use your sealskin socks? On their own or on top of another pair of socks.

On their own. I do, and AIUI, that is how they are supposed to be worn. I suppose you could though wear a pair of light socks underneath. The winter Sealskinz are designed to provide the extra warmth.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

LittleGreyCat wrote:I have ShowerPass waterproof socks.

I normally wear running socks (fairly thick) and a pair of trainers to cycle in.
Pedals have toe clips without straps.
The trainers are large enough to accommodate the waterproof socks.
Generally have kept my feet toasty including cycling through floods (which was the reason to buy the WP socks in the first place).

You see, LittleGreyCat, you've found by experience what works for you, and it obviously works for you or you'd not be doing it.

Many of us (older than you) have been through the same process down the years and it works for us.
You've done well to find socks that are actually 'waterproof' - keeping feet dry is an essential to keeping them warm. I still wear knee-length waterproof/water shedding spats when the weather demands (clips-n'-straps do shorten their lives) and I'm not averse to putting a poly bread-bag or similar over my socks and inside the shoes. All this stuff isn't streamlined racing (poser-impressive) gear, but it works - and thankfully, we only need these things when the season requires them.

What you say LittleGreyCat is refreshingly practical.
I wish you many happy miles. :D :D :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

How cold does it get where you are?

The main things for keeping feet warm in winter are two things:
keeping out wind and water
insulation layers

I wear winter boots one size too big, so I can get an extra pair of socks in without making them too tight. If they are both thick, knitted wool socks, I can cycle in temperatures down to -10 C. (whether I want to is another thing :wink: )

For insulation layers, you can add them outside or in, but you need to add them. If you are cold wearing your current boots, and cannot buy boots sized big enough for another pair of socks, you almost have to add something on the outside. For blocking wind & water, you can use home made solutions, like plastic bags between your socks & shoes, home made toe covers, or rigging a wind/splash shield for your pedals out of plastic containers or milk jugs.

The extent to which you need to do these things depends on how cold it gets where you are, and how much your feet feel the cold. How you deal with it depends on your time versus money values. I'm sure that you can figure out something that works for not too much money, but it will likely take some trial and error with home made solutions.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Vorpal wrote:How cold does it get where you are?

insulation layers

I wear winter boots one size too big, so I can get an extra pair of socks in without making them too tight. If they are both thick, knitted wool socks, I can cycle in temperatures down to -10 C. (whether I want to is another thing :wink: )

For insulation layers, you can add them outside or in, but you need to add them. If you are cold wearing your current boots, and cannot buy boots sized big enough for another pair of socks, you almost have to add something on the outside. For blocking wind & water, you can use home made solutions, like plastic bags between your socks & shoes, home made toe covers, or rigging a wind/splash shield for your pedals out of plastic containers or milk jugs.

The extent to which you need to do these things depends on how cold it gets where you are, and how much your feet feel the cold. How you deal with it depends on your time versus money values. I'm sure that you can figure out something that works for not too much money, but it will likely take some trial and error with home made solutions.

+1 - Another voice of experience.
For 22 years I commuted 10 miles each way on the bike - all year, all weathers.
Plenty stories to tell there.
One year I was associated with a building site on an almost daily basis, and the thermometer on site recorded, for 14 consecutive days, minimum working day temperatures of -11ºC. (not the whole day, you understand, but certainly part of it).
Every day I commuted on the bike and working along the lines that Vorpal suggests I never felt cold feet once.
What helped of course, was that we're in a hilly area, and at least half of every journey is uphill - thereby keeping the blood pumping.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Vorpal wrote:How cold does it get where you are?

insulation layers

thanks for this vorpal
Sweep
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

<snip>

Many of us (older than you) have been through the same process down the years and it works for us.

<snip>[/quote]

I salute you for being incredibly ancient! :lol: