The psychology behind using a turbo trainer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eileithyia

Re: The psychology behind using a turbo trainer

Post by eileithyia »

I've used a turbo on and off since the mid 80s. Got one when one particularly wet / heavy showers June meant I was being discouraged from getting out on the bike to do training miles as well as my commute miles. You think modern turbos are boring, I lived in a flat with a separate garage, unlit no electricity, just a couple of workouts to work to.....

These days I have a smart trainer, garage with electricity, wifi, TV monitor, Radio, and still sometimes need motivation. I will always prefer to be out on the road however; I use it for various reasons:- to do a specific workout ie timed intervals, to keep my fitness up in periods of poor weather, to get back on the bike riding following injury / surgery.

Recent years I have taken up the Rapha 500 challenge, until this year turbo miles were not included in the challenge, combo of icy roads and fitting in around the start of some extensive work on the house saw me using the turbo far more than I would normally and must admit on a couple of days the motivation dipped severely.

I don't try to do the sort miles I might do on the road, although the 500 saw me doing more miles than usual on the turbo. I find 90-100 mins is normally my tolerance level, both for undercarriage and for boredom (even with the distractions of zwift and the radio and the birds I can see from the window), I work on the basis that miles on the turbo are actually harder than on the road, remember no easing off the pace for junctions, no stopping at those junctions to relieve your position, no freewheeling... you pedal all the time in a very dialled in fixed position... so not always as comfy as being on the road.

I have to be disciplined to get it done, it does help that recently via zwift I have indicated I would 'join' an 'event' group ride or meet up.... obviously you are not beholden to do it, but knowing you have a ride start time and 'others' to ride with, certainly helps with the discipline of getting out to the garage and doing it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

LittleGreyCat wrote:... Finally, does anyone look remotely like the Zwift (and other products) riders in the TV ads?
Complete with the big screen TV or tablet etc.

I’ve just caught the end of a BBC Click feature on Zwift presented by a chap who I think was a cycling newbie. Maybe worth watching out for on the BBC News channel or when it’s available online.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

I use an iPhone and stream it to my 65'' flat screen ( cheap one from eBay ) that I had in the garage during lockdown in the summer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Do you think a 65" screen is big enough? :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

that's just what my partner said ............
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Thanks again for all the information!

I get pelted with Zwift ads on my Twitter App on my phone.

One has a male riding a trainer set up as a TT bike.
Forward bars and everything.
Now I can see that if you are training to ride in a very specific aero position to get set up for real life on the road this could be of benefit, but apart from that...aero on a static bike?
At least he isn't wearing an aero helmet. :lol:
Syd

Post by Syd »

LittleGreyCat wrote:Thanks again for all the information!

I get pelted with Zwift ads on my Twitter App on my phone.

One has a male riding a trainer set up as a TT bike.
Forward bars and everything.
Now I can see that if you are training to ride in a very specific aero position to get set up for real life on the road this could be of benefit, but apart from that...aero on a static bike?
At least he isn't wearing an aero helmet. :lol:

The bike currently on my turbo is an older TT bike. I took off the aero bars and fitted normal drop bars and shifters I has spare. More comfortable for a start.

Didn’t bother fitting break cables though. Something I need to remember if I take it out on the road again. [emoji846][emoji57]
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

amaferanga wrote:Those claiming its too boring on a turbo trainer should try Zwift.

Or simply read a book and listen to the radio while pedalling!!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
drossall

Post by drossall »

And, with Zwift, you can spend ages on the Zwift forums, talking about it instead of doing it. It's exactly like real riding :lol: