Want to sell my car in order to cycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mcshroom

Re: Want to sell my car in order to cycle

Post by mcshroom »

You spent a good period of time without a car recently, so I would guess you can assess your situation better than a lot of us can. What did you find the most difficult about the period without a car, and why did you decide to get another one in the end.

Also you could try leaving the car parked up as much as possible for now, and see how it goes.

If you know what the problems were and would prefer not to drive (as it sounds from your OP), then perhaps we could offer some ideas for how to work around those issues and make being car free easier.

Cars make many things very convenient, but you pay a significant cost for that convenience. You have to weigh things up yourself. I wouldn't think other people should think any differently about you for not having a car. 17 million households in the UK don't have one, so it's not that unusual. Whether they should, and whether they do is of course two different things.

Good luck if you choose to try!
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

When is your tax/mot/insurance due ??
If not for a few months then you've time to park the car up and trial not using it.
This will let you find out how practical it is whilst not doing something you may want to reverse later.

Luck ...... :D
Duradulo

Post by Duradulo »

Me and Mrs Duradulo have never owned a car in 10+ years of cohabiting; I have never leared to drive despite growing up in a semi-rural area. There's very few occasions when it has been an inconvenience - though that is in part due to conscious decisions on living close to shops and a station. For quite a bit of that time I have also not owned a bicycle.

It sounds like you'd have no trouble without a car - living in a city give the option of taking the bus if you don't feel like cycling for whatever reason, as you say. Car clubs are very good value nowadays for the occasions you do feel the need to drive. From the tone of what you've written it sounds the reason you got another car is as much societal expectations as personal needs: not something I experience especially other than the occasional disbelief that anyone can live without one.

Get a shopping trolley and/or decent panniers (depending on distance to your favoured shops).
S.1234

Post by S.1234 »

Thank you all for the responses, honestly so much help!

It is great to see there are people out there with the same thoughts as me and good to know I am not alone. Not so long after my accident a couple of weeks ago, people have been like 'oh no, you'll regret it!' and 'driving isn't really THAT expensive!' and 'how will you get to work?!' (this magical thing called public transport, taxis or a bike!!) when I have brought up the subject. I have also accepted the fact I probably will not get any sort of refund for my insurance because I have claimed and it was my fault but I am cool with that, even though I only renewed in November.

Having said this, I am still pretty worried about what others think about the whole scenario about wanting to get rid of my car, but I do really believe that my partner (who does not drive and has never learned) and I can survive without it. I always feel mentally exhausted with having a car, waiting on the next expense to come along and trying to budget each month to put a bit of money aside for my insurance each year (I pay it annually). So I think it could be good for me as a person.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How easily can you rent a suitable vehicle when you want one?

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Don't worry what others think if your partner is in agreement with you. IMO, that's the only other opinion you need to be concerned with but it's important you really do agree: don't just take it for granted.

Nowadays, employers have their green image to think of so they ought to be unlikely to disapprove.

BTW, when calculating your journey times, think about any changing etc you need to build in.

Bike storage at work etc., can be a problem. I always recommend boiler rooms and the like. It's always useful to keep on friendly terms with caretakers, concierges, commissionaires etc. Best to be friends with everybody, of course, but they have the keys to all the warm, dry, safe places in most buildings.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

S.1234 wrote:I am still pretty worried about what others think about the whole scenario about wanting to get rid of my car, but I do really believe that my partner (who does not drive and has never learned) and I can survive without it.

My sister, now in her 60s, did not drive until in her 30s and gave up after a couple of years. She went to work by bus before she moved further out, and then by train for the 9 mile trip. 10 minute walk either end.
I (now in my 60s) did not have a car until I was 28. Walk, cycle, public transport.
Neither of us have been worried about what others thought and had no problems with getting to work or to social occasions. I thought the idea of a car being necessary was something that was dropping out amongst young people, especially city dwellers.

The reason I still keep a small car is so that I can do things that cannot be done with a rental - take stuff to the tip for example, and to get me to distant cycling events that I can no longer ride to or use a train to reach. Usually I drive less than 1000 miles a year - last year was only 100. If I were to move to somewhere without a garden (rubbish to the tip) I would certainly dispose of the car and rent for the few occasions one is needed.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Funny how we all think about what we do now. Just thinking back to going to school:

5 min walk to station; 15 min train ride; 10 min bus ride; final 10 min walk to the school, plus of course waiting time. No one seemed to think it was a problem then for all of the 7 years I did it.

(Edit this would probably be considered child neglect or abuse nowadays.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote:Funny how we all think about what we do now. Just thinking back to going to school:

5 min walk to station; 15 min train ride; 10 min bus ride; final 10 min walk to the school, plus of course waiting time. No one seemed to think it was a problem then for all of the 7 years I did it.

(Edit this would probably be considered child neglect or abuse nowadays.)

This is such an important social issue. And I'm not aware of any data that justifies our current fears.

Jonathan
bikerwaser

Post by bikerwaser »

I sold my car about 8 years ago and never looked back.

I thought about it before for a while and made lots of excuses for keeping the car.

If you spend £20 a week on petrol that's £1040 a year.
Tax, Insurance, MOT and Maintenace could be anywhere between £500 and £1000

Based on minimum wage and taking out Tax, Weapons and paying for the Royal Family, I worked out that owning a car meant that I had to work 6 weeks a year to pay for it.

Someone mentioned about getting a Touring bike for the job . I totally agree with that. I use my Thorn Sherpa and it's great for my shopping. I fill up all my panniers and it's easy.

I have a friend that has never had a car. He has a Surly Big Dummy and has move the entire contents of his house on it.

It needs a mindset change and preperation.

One thing I promised myself was that I wouldn't skimp on cycle clothing or anything I needed. If I needed that £40 pair of gloves or the Goretex jacket , then I'd buy it. The money I save every year is massive.

You can do it !
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I might have difficulty moving a grand piano.
John
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I still have a car but trying to use only on longer trips or lugging stuff. I can now carry my oil paints and easel. Still not resolved bulky fishing gear. Would.d an ebike and trailer suit the OP as I am thinking that way.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I go fly fishing on a Stillwater 18 miles away, using my bike.
John
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

bikerwaser wrote:
If you spend £20 a week on petrol that's £1040 a year.
Tax, Insurance, MOT and Maintenace could be anywhere between £500 and £1000

^This. And of course add to that depreciation, the big expense most people don't think of. Even if you run old an old banger you have to consider how long it will last and how much it will cost to replace (any half decent s/h car with 12 months MOT is going to cost around a grand). Also old cars generally have higher maintenance bills. There's nothing wrong with owning and running a car if you want to and can afford it but don't kid yourself that it's cheap!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Oldjohnw wrote:I go fly fishing on a Stillwater 18 miles away, using my bike.

You wouldn't want to go carp fishing that distance away on a bike!!!

Cheers James