COVID Lockdown - Guidance versus the Law

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: COVID Lockdown - Guidance versus the Law

Post by Psamathe »

irc wrote:14 mile cycle ride? What is the problem? ....

e.g. that Norfolk Police Official on TV said I should not leave my village which limits me to rides of a few hundred meters.

Ian
ossie

Post by ossie »

DaveReading wrote:
ossie wrote:Any comment on his 14 mile cycle ride?

Surely only 7 miles ? In fact probably not that far.

I thought he was 7 miles from No 10...I presumed he cycled back
ossie

Post by ossie »

Psamathe wrote:

e.g. that Norfolk Police Official on TV said I should not leave my village which limits me to rides of a few hundred meters.

Ian

Our top hospital guy said if you have a road traffic accident don't expect an ambulance anytime soon, if one rocks up don't expect a bed.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Did wonder why there was a cop van randomly parked outside earlier today, thought given the weather that pouncing on people in the park wasn't going to yield a great deal...

Don't see much problem with the visit, he is the PM, however from the photo I saw he really wasn't 2m from from the 80+ person he was talking too and his mask was almost off his nose! :|

The flap about his cycle ride is ridiculous, still this is a rod the gov has created for itself putting the daft vague 'local' advice in the guidance.

ossie wrote:I thought he was 7 miles from No 10...I presumed he cycled back

Given his job I'd be surprised if he was allowed by his security to do that, more likely had a lift there and back to get some space to have a cycle in perhaps?

mjr wrote:The worst recent one was the London/SE Tier 4 change:

Made at 6.00 a.m on 20th December 2020
Laid before Parliament 21st December 2020
Coming into force at 07.00 a.m. on 20th December 2020

I didn't check the website before 7am but I seriously doubt it was published in under an hour on a Sunday morning.

Ah, had missed that one. hansardsociety twitter feed posted a link to the pdf at 06:56, so was before... just!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Stevek76 wrote:....
..... still this is a rod the gov has created for itself putting the daft vague 'local' advice in the guidance.

I agree. To me I'll go along with whatever (sensible) advice is appropriate from Government/scientists. What I see as so daft is that all different officials are giving all sorts of widely differing advice when "local" isn't even in the law (apparently).

How can the public be expected to comply with such variable official interpretation from something that does not even exist?

And when the local has to be ignored (e.g. who is going to go on their exercise cycle ride within 500m of home), so people start ignoring wider advice/guidance/law as they just give-up.

Ian
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

So it seems the fine has been lifted and an apology made, I wonder what would have happened had there not been the news coverage? Would they have gone to court? If they did would it have made it that far? What would the judge have decided?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-55625062
irc

Post by irc »

Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Not the PMs fault if the police invent stuff. There is no distance restriction on taking exercise (in England).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

irc wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Not the PMs fault if the police invent stuff. There is no distance restriction on taking exercise (in England).

PM could create laws that reflect his guidance and provide guidance that is not so open to wildly differing interpretation or to provide a definitive interpretation to avoid Police having to invent their own (and all different) interpretations.

Ian
irc

Post by irc »

Meanwhile Derbyshire Police have withdrawn the tickets and said sorry.

"Chief Constable Rachel Swann said the fines "have been withdrawn and we have notified the women directly, apologising for any concern caused".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-d ... e-55625062

Hopefully they will also explain to their cops the difference between guidance, opinion, wishes, and the actual law.
irc

Post by irc »

Psamathe wrote:
irc wrote:
Psamathe wrote:e.g. that Norfolk Police Official on TV said I should not leave my village which limits me to rides of a few hundred meters.

Ian

PM could create laws that reflect his guidance and provide guidance that is not so open to wildly differing interpretation or to provide a definitive interpretation to avoid Police having to invent their own (and all different) interpretations.

Ian

The police chose to invent their own interpretation. No excuse for writing a ticket when no law has been broken. I would have thought knowing the law was a first step in enforcing it. Maybe that's old school?
millimole

Post by millimole »

In priciple police forces operate to the guidance issued by The College of Policing (effectively the professional body for police officers) this allows them to understand how the law and guidance is to be operated in practice - the updated guidance that forces work to can be found from https://beta.college.police.uk/guidance/covid-19-restrictions
My understanding (flawed it may be) is that this has only been released since the (stupidity) of the Derbyshire reservoir incident.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

ossie wrote:
DaveReading wrote:
ossie wrote:Any comment on his 14 mile cycle ride?

Surely only 7 miles ? In fact probably not that far.

It now appears he was driven there and back and simply pedalled around the Olympic Park for a bit.
mjr

Post by mjr »

DaveReading wrote:
ossie wrote:
DaveReading wrote:Surely only 7 miles ? In fact probably not that far.

It now appears he was driven there and back and simply pedalled around the Olympic Park for a bit.

His security probably don't like him waiting at red lights where any Tom, Dick or John Bellingham could assault him.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I don't think I'm speaking out of turn regarding this pair of complete and utter *&^%^&%$ who totally extracted the urine at the weekend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-yor ... e-55622387

Not only did the idiots drive from Rochdale to Ingleborough,c.120 miles round trip,but they were also "inexperienced and unprepared in treacherous weather conditions."
WHY??????
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:I don't think I'm speaking out of turn regarding this pair of complete and utter *&^%^&%$ who totally extracted the urine at the weekend.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-yor ... e-55622387

Not only did the idiots drive from Rochdale to Ingleborough,c.120 miles round trip,but they were also "inexperienced and unprepared in treacherous weather conditions."
WHY??????

Stupid is as stupid does :? .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden