Is Trump Mad?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Is Trump Mad?

yes
65%
no
25%
maybe
6%
maybe not
2%
dont know
2%

Total votes: 143

Mistik-ka

Re: Is Trump Mad?

Post by Mistik-ka »

With regards to discussion of Trump's supporters and their unfathomable adulation and support for him no matter what he says or does, think "football fans" (and in light of recent events, "football hooligans").

Their support has nothing to do with a political or intellectual process, nor with any sort of ideas or ideals; it is simply a (rare) opportunity to feel they on the winning side of anything, and to be reassured by the screaming fans around them that they are part of something important. Why do you think Trump does so well at massed rallies?

Remember his declaration, "We won with the poorly educated; I love the poorly educated," and the roar of applause it brought forth from his followers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mistik-ka
Good analogy.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

We're hearing about Trump but it's good not to be hearing from him.
John
RickH

Post by RickH »

According to the Trivia section of the IMDb entry about the movie Home Alone 2...

IMDb Trivia wrote:As of January 2021, Donald Trump is the only cast member of Home Alone 2 to both attempt a violent overthrow of the American democratic system and get banned from Twitter in the same week.

(link)

:D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

So getting back to the literal question, here's an expert:

[youtube]Ku3z9ZejrLQ[/youtube]

The psychoanalyst has been on here before - I remember reohn2 concurring with his opinions - but it's still as worrying as ever until Trump's gone.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Oldjohnw wrote:We're hearing about Trump but it's good not to be hearing from him.

Is it good that the social media giants are regulating our politicians? should it not be the other way around?

It may be all well and good to have one silenced we don't care for, but the day may come when they silence the ones we do like. We're all being increasingly led by the media and that is a very worrying direction.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Pebble wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:We're hearing about Trump but it's good not to be hearing from him.

Is it good that the social media giants are regulating our politicians? should it not be the other way around?

It may be all well and good to have one silenced we don't care for, but the day may come when they silence the ones we do like. We're all being increasingly led by the media and that is a very worrying direction.

Firstly, they are hardly regulating them or silencing them. Trump still has the media at his beck and call, a press office, and the capability to get other people to publish stuff for him, if he so wishes. Politicians in general have more possibility to make themselves heard than the rest of us, even without Facebook and Twitter.

Secondly, social media platforms have terms of service for a very good reason. Trump has repeatedly violated them. I would argue that he should have been removed long ago, and received special privilege because of his position.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

They are hardly regulating anyone. Trump could talk to millions - or even billions - any time he wanted. He has a press room. He can phone Fox News. They would talk.

It would be a different matter of the State was silencing people.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pebble wrote:

That is a good point, but I think so far they have erred a bit to far towards freedom of speech and are now correct in pulling the plug when what he says results in a mob running riot. And imagine how things might be now if US politicians had been able to regulate social media for the past four years, with Trump pulling the levers! But there is some power being exercised by Twitter and the like, and who wields that power, and how, is a big question. The lawmakers ought to set up a body that acts according to principles and regulations, but which is independent of the government of the day. A bit like an independent judiciary, able to make decisions even if it doesn't please whoever is in power at the time.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

An interesring interview with Rick Wilson founder of The Lincoln project,among other very important issues that have happened in the US he touches on the media's roll in the way they've been responsible for allowing Trump's attitude to the office of president to go unabated.
The way the Republican Party fell in line behind him and how their crazy followers became so brazen in thinking they could do what they've done,not just in taking over the Capitol building and killing a police officer but many other things that have gone on during this maniac's term of office. :- https://youtu.be/MEVTnC0Hky0

There are certainparalells with what's happening in the UK,not as overtly violent but neverthless equally as disturbing,particularly with funding and the media.
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

there is a lot of leaders out there far worse than trump who still have the freedom of free speech through twitter. Banning trump seems very political to me.

Did he really incite violence, he called on people to march on parliament and be strong. Being able to march on parliament is the norm in all free countries and hopefully it always will be. Don't see where he told anyone to break the doors down and and bring along home made napalm!

I don't think trump has the media at all, most of the media seems to have been on his back from day one, often exaggerating and even making stuff up about him.

it suits me Trump has gone, I've loathed the bloke since he trashed a SSSI in Aberdenshire to build a golf course
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48789620
But i have found it disturbing how one sided the media can be (even our own BBC). Are we all just being brainwashed ?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
Pebble wrote:

That is a good point, but I think so far they have erred a bit to far towards freedom of speech and are now correct in pulling the plug when what he says results in a mob running riot. And imagine how things might be now if US politicians had been able to regulate social media for the past four years, with Trump pulling the levers! But there is some power being exercised by Twitter and the like, and who wields that power, and how, is a big question. The lawmakers ought to set up a body that acts according to principles and regulations, but which is independent of the government of the day. A bit like an independent judiciary, able to make decisions even if it doesn't please whoever is in power at the time.

Freedoms without responsibility is mayhem,we've just witnessed that in the US,the Zuckerbergs and Murdochs of this world are the ones who's freedom without responsibility needs curbing,they're quite literally getting away with murder by their spew!
Trump happens to be their latest provider of that spew and his followers are the ones being manipulated to carry out the evil of that spew.
It's happening because the people are stupid enough read it and pay attention to it,but it's the orcastraters of evil who are to blame by legitamising that evil.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Pebble wrote:there is a lot of leaders out there far worse than trump who still have the freedom of free speech through twitter. Banning trump seems very political to me.

Did he really incite violence, he called on people to march on parliament and be strong. Being able to march on parliament is the norm in all free countries and hopefully it always will be. Don't see where he told anyone to break the doors down and and bring along home made napalm!

I don't think trump has the media at all, most of the media seems to have been on his back from day one, often exaggerating and even making stuff up about him.

it suits me Trump has gone, I've loathed the bloke since he trashed a SSSI in Aberdenshire to build a golf course
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48789620
But i have found it disturbing how one sided the media can be (even our own BBC). Are we all just being brainwashed ?

Until very recently the BBC have been very restrained in their accounts of Trump's crazy behaviour. He has made himself look a fool and any neutral media will reflect that, because it is just reality. It is impossible to not be critical with that sort of nonsense going on, day after day, week after week.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I bet he's mad this morning!
A Judge stopped the Execution of Lisa Montgomery.unless the Supreme Court overturns this the appeal will go into Bidens Presidency.I think Trump is trying to execute as many Death row prisoners as he can and I also think having the first women execution in over half a century was some sort of 'badge of honour'.I would have liked to be a fly on the (padded)wall of his room when he heard about this.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote:I bet he's mad this morning!
A Judge stopped the Execution of Lisa Montgomery.unless the Supreme Court overturns this the appeal will go into Bidens Presidency.I think Trump is trying to execute as many Death row prisoners as he can and I also think having the first women execution in over half a century was some sort of 'badge of honour'.I would have liked to be a fly on the (padded)wall of his room when he heard about this.

He's not alone in wanting the death penality carried out,our very own Priti Patel has expressed her wish tobring it back in the UK.
W H Auden