Dame Cressida Rose Dick (What do we know)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Dame Cressida Rose Dick (What do we know)

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
As the person has appeared on TV recently talking about covid it came to my attention to them and I wondered who they were.
I have heard the name of the person previous but I now find that they were the person connected with a wrongful shooting, and they were protected because any prosecution might affect their career?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cressida_Dick

"was appointed Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service in London. Cressida Dick is the first woman to take charge of the service, being selected for the role in February 2017 and taking office on 10 April 2017."

"Dick attracted little media attention, but became well known as having been the officer in command of the operation which led to the fatal shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shootin ... de_Menezes

"Two officers fired a total of eleven shots according to the number of empty shell casings found on the floor of the train afterwards. Menezes was shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder at close range and died at the scene. An eyewitness later said that the eleven shots were fired over a thirty-second period, at three-second intervals.[16] A separate witness reported hearing five shots, followed at an interval by several more shots."

11 shots were fired by two officers but only eight met their target.
These were not the first officers to approach the deceased, One of these said a shot went past their ear and they were dragged out of the way.
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 12 Jan 2021, 12:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
francovendee

Re: Dame Cressida Rose Dick (What do we know)

Post by francovendee »

It always struck me the Met were covering up after making a dreadful mistake. Understandable mistake at a time of terrorist threats maybe, but an innocent man died.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Every-time she appears on TV I can only think of her record over Menezes. I don't think much of her or her abilities and every appearance on TV just re-affirms my impression.

Ian
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I also wonder how you can divide the blame around in such tragic cases. How far up and down the chain do you assign your opprobrium (the censure part of that definition was meant). Aiui intelligence was faulty, judgements were faulty and a whole lot of bad luck on Menezes' side.

How much pressure are armed police under when on active duty? How much does this relieve them of guilt? How much can a gold commander really control from a safe room in hq monitoring events? How much can training and experience help? Which then plays into whether the officer with the gun can be expected to always get things right.

It's all a touch job that I doubt many on here really understands.

Imho I'm less bothered about ms. Dick getting her role than the former south Yorkshire officer getting the cc job in Merseyside police! 96 people died because of faulty decisions there but the senior officer ends up getting the top police job in the very city the dead people came from.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:I also wonder how you can divide the blame around in such tragic cases. How far up and down the chain do you assign your opprobrium (the censure part of that definition was meant). Aiui intelligence was faulty, judgements were faulty and a whole lot of bad luck on Menezes' side.

How much pressure are armed police under when on active duty? How much does this relieve them of guilt? How much can a gold commander really control from a safe room in hq monitoring events? How much can training and experience help? Which then plays into whether the officer with the gun can be expected to always get things right.

It's all a touch job that I doubt many on here really understands.

Imho I'm less bothered about ms. Dick getting her role than the former south Yorkshire officer getting the cc job in Merseyside police! 96 people died because of faulty decisions there but the senior officer ends up getting the top police job in the very city the dead people came from.

I don't know enough about the Mrs Dick case,but you're spot on about the case of the 96 lives lost then being lauded over by the very man who let it happen,disgusting doesn't begin to describe it!
Last edited by reohn2 on 12 Jan 2021, 4:37pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Just on a point of information, at the time of the Hillsborough disaster, Norman Bettison was a chief inspector in South Yorkshire Police and IIRC, he was an off-duty spectator at that match. ie He had no involvement in the policing of the Hillsborough ground on the day of the match. In the normal way that what were once known as ACPO ranks move on promotion, he came to West Yorkshire as an assistant chief constable and was eventually appointed Chef Constable of Merseyside. It's hard to imagine that the people making the selection didn't know that he had spent part of his career in South Yorkshire.

Eventually he returned to West Yorkshire as chief constable.

When Teresa May authorised the official inquiry, the IPPC investigation led to him being charged with offences of misconduct in public office which IIRC were dropped by the prosecution during the trial at Warrington.

I have only posted this to clarify that he wasn't the senior officer at Hillsborough, That was David Duckenfield.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TC
Point taken,but he was part of the cover up.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

She's definitely not of the boat rocking variety, corruption abounds in government, to a degree easily of that in the cash for honours scandal and met is happy to turn a blind eye at present.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Stevek76 wrote:She's definitely not of the boat rocking variety, corruption abounds in government, to a degree easily of that in the cash for honours scandal and met is happy to turn a blind eye at present.

I think you should expand on that comment.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello mod, Can you tell me why the Blue Pencil has been used? MM
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Stevek76 wrote:She's definitely not of the boat rocking variety, corruption abounds in government, to a degree easily of that in the cash for honours scandal and met is happy to turn a blind eye at present.

I think you should expand on that comment.

I thought the houses of parliament had their own police or investigation procedures which means the metropolitan police has to wait to be invited in to investigate any allegations of criminal offences. Aiui corruption in parliament can only be investigated by the Met if parliament calls them in. So technically not a case of turning a blind eye but of being limited by the law and our system. I'm sure it would be a difficult situation if the met broke the law in upholding the law.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

No. the Palace of Westminster is policed by the Metropolitan Police Service.

Current arrangement:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_and_Diplomatic_Protection

Discussion in 2013, including funding and... market testing!
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201213/ldhansrd/text/130225w0002.htm

Were you thinking of the decision to refer cases for investigation and possible prosecution? That can end up as a question of referral from the Parliamentary authorities following disciplinary processes or a complaint.

Jonathan
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Thought the original cash for honours scandal sparked an investigation straight from the met? Though no charges were ultimately bought, you could argue the same likely now.

In terms of other thoughts of recent things, huge issues of cronyism with the covid PPE contracts, school lunches? The file from the electoral commission on the referendum funding illegalities they sat on for years?

Get the general impression the met is far too happy to be deferential to the government rendering the latter significant immunity from the laws that apply to the rest of us. Another element of the overconcentration of powers in the executive in our constitutional arrangements that seems to be increasingly abused.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Stevek76 wrote:Thought the original cash for honours scandal sparked an investigation straight from the met? Though no charges were ultimately bought, you could argue the same likely now.

Sure, I wasn't saying that couldn't happen, but trying to explain what Tangled Metal might have been recalling.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Only times I've seen her on TV over the last year is her routine denial about there being any race issues in "her force". I can't comment on the state of racism inside the Met but she seemed particularly un-prepared to consider the possibility (despite the data around then about Stop-and-Search). It surprised me she was so closed on the issue. Just talking about the TV appearances I saw and may have missed or overlooped more recent ones.

Ian