Largest rear panniers made?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andrew_s

Re: Largest rear panniers made?

Post by andrew_s »

Cyclewala wrote:I saw a Deutsche Post bike in Germany that had custom panniers but they were the cargo bike variety and looked like you could run a home removal service with it. They made my 51L Vaude look like seatpost packs.

Similar to the Surly Big Dummy bags?
These are at least available on their own, but you'd need the right bike.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

£230! You might well find something non-cycle specific and adapt it for much less. Large drybags maybe.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bmblbzzz wrote:£230! You might well find something non-cycle specific and adapt it for much less. Large drybags maybe.

For £230 you could post your kit ahead!
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I noticed on this chaps videos ( extraordinary young chap riding home from China ) ( thanks reohn2 -- incredible journey ) he nearly exclusively uses front panniers and wished he'd brought less kit.

viewtopic.php?t=143366
I am here. Where are you?
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I watched that video last night . It didn't look like the best setup to me. I wondered if his bike wouldn't take a rear rack or something. I wouldn't want to ride all that way with his system. Enjoyed the video though . Watched another after a guy traveling through the wakan corridor in Afghanistan on a recumbent bike again it just looked wrong and hard work. But he did it . Both inspiring videos and a great achievement.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I used the 70l ortlieb panniers on my recumbent together with normal sized in the middle rack. That have me 110 litres capacity. I might have added a 25 litre drybag on the rear rack too.

The ones I got had a large mesh front pocket too. I'm sure they gave extra capacity as the mesh was stretchy.

If you need more volume I believe there's a Canadian bike luggage company that is very expensive indeed but they do modular bike luggage IIRC. This means panniers that can have extra bag compartments added. I think they will offer the potential to carry higher volumes than even the 70 litre ortlieb panniers. Ghyllside cycles in Ambleside sells their stuff but IIRC Arkel sells direct to UK too.
nsew

Post by nsew »

The more you know, the less you carry. The reverse applies equally.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Cowsham wrote:I noticed on this chaps videos ( extraordinary young chap riding home from China ) ( thanks reohn2 -- incredible journey ) he nearly exclusively uses front panniers and wished he'd brought less kit.

viewtopic.php?t=143366

A true adventurer, will likely find it difficult to quit the lifestyle. Love the way he takes obscure roads/trails and seeks out the highest peaks. All living creatures are a welcome companion. Other than Costa Rican cows. It’s mildly agonising watching him haul all that stuff over mountain trails and then setting up a camera to record the agony, I often can’t be ars*d to stop and take a simple photo at the best of times. The wisdom of carrying so much and spending almost half your life in a flimsy ultralight tent is a bit off. Easily the best of the you tube cycle travellers.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

nsew wrote: I’ve been glanced a few times using Carradice Super C’s, think they’re 54L.

That's right, so the "100 l" Chinese ones on ebay referred to previously would have to be almost twice as big as Super Cs, i.e. enormous!
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

andrew_s wrote:
Cyclewala wrote:I saw a Deutsche Post bike in Germany that had custom panniers but they were the cargo bike variety and looked like you could run a home removal service with it. They made my 51L Vaude look like seatpost packs.

Similar to the Surly Big Dummy bags?
These are at least available on their own, but you'd need the right bike.

They were similar to the larger of the two panniers at the back of the bike in the pic.
Screenshot_20210114-143210.png
djb

Post by djb »

nsew wrote:The more you know, the less you carry. The reverse applies equally.

that's a good quote. Will remember that one.
I feel it's mostly true, although I think it's fair to say that when we were young, we had to learn sometimes from unpleasantness to add some things (food, water lets say) , but then of course, the older we get, we tend to appreciate small things that make a difference comfort wise (but hopefully are wise enough to offset this by choosing small, lightweight "comfort" things, and/or reducing other stuff to make up for these things.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Now you have had all the sensible answers........

In much of SE Asia they use large woven baskets. Sometimes they put a couple of straps on them and carry backpack style. They also attach them to their bikes, pannier style. They are made of split bamboo (wide stuff, not canes) and have a very open weave, so would need a liner. Not sure what the capacity is in litres, but they can take a medium sized pig.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It's a neat saying. I'd say not so much you take more or less but make more appropriate choices in what you take.
nsew

Post by nsew »

djb wrote:
nsew wrote:The more you know, the less you carry. The reverse applies equally.

that's a good quote. Will remember that one.
I feel it's mostly true, although I think it's fair to say that when we were young, we had to learn sometimes from unpleasantness to add some things (food, water lets say) , but then of course, the older we get, we tend to appreciate small things that make a difference comfort wise (but hopefully are wise enough to offset this by choosing small, lightweight "comfort" things, and/or reducing other stuff to make up for these things.

Totally agree. I shudder at the thought of what I used to hump around when I first started travelling. I also recoil at the weight of many items on my early cycle travels. Conclusion is that it’s better to spend a little more on key items where weight and size can be reduced and performance enhanced, without sacrificing too much on durability. And to keep those items to a sensible minimum. Basically, simplify and reduce the weight of those items.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

However, if you're touring with a family and you've got the only bike designed to carry a full touring load you might find a need for a lot of luggage capacity because you're carrying for more than just yourself. Besides, my SMGT really didn't feel too different fully loaded once n you're moving? You really should try touring with a touring recumbent at least once in your life.