Free school meals

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Free school meals

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Re: Free school meals

Post by Psamathe »

Add to that
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/free-school-meals-tory-donor-rashford-b1786501.html wrote:Free meals firm at centre of outcry was run by Conservative party donor
The companies at the centre of the outcry over the “disgusting” free meals provided to struggling families while schools remain closed have links to the Conservatives, it has emerged.

Ian
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

This is a corrupt, inept government, what do you expect?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Morning, Remember, All governments favour their friends, be they Left, Right or Middle ground. Twas ever so, and always will be! MM
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

outcry over the “disgusting” free meals
I'd agree that the picture in the Indy article shows something quite inadequate, but I'd hesitate to use the word 'disgusting'. Most of the items, aside from the confectionery, look fairly nutritious: a fair amount of fruit and vegetables, and some protein. It's just that there isn't enough to feed a growing child.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

661-Pete wrote:It's just that there isn't enough to feed a growing child.
True, but remember it is intended to substitute for a school lunch, not a whole day, or so I believe. Spoken as a recipient of free school dinners in the late 1960's.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Oh Dear, Tatanab will be burdening us all over his deprived childhood! Joke Tatty :wink: .
If he mentions that he often had to go to to school with no boots on his feet, we will remember the politicians reposte "That was only be because he got too big for them!" :roll:
But you are quite correct about it being meant for one meal of the day. Parenting skills have certainly got less common in the modern era, us from the rationing generation were fed better despite the shortages. Cooking skills don't have to be Cordon Blue to generate a nourishing and economical diet, imagination gives added value. Woolton Pie and Potato Piglets would be worth a try? MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

tatanab wrote:
True, but remember it is intended to substitute for a school lunch, not a whole day, or so I believe. Spoken as a recipient of free school dinners in the late 1960's.

And don't forget that's supposed to be £15's worth and for all week 5 lunches.
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:
tatanab wrote:

that makes £1 for food £14 for profit for Conservative Party donors. Quite a lot of food for £1.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:Add to that
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/free-school-meals-tory-donor-rashford-b1786501.html wrote:Free meals firm at centre of outcry was run by Conservative party donor
The companies at the centre of the outcry over the “disgusting” free meals provided to struggling families while schools remain closed have links to the Conservatives, it has emerged.

Ian

Beaten to it
I did a bit of research myself last night and found the CEo of Chaterwells had donated £10,000 of his own money to the Tory Party.
Why am I not surprised?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
tatanab wrote:True, but remember it is intended to substitute for a school lunch, not a whole day, or so I believe. Spoken as a recipient of free school dinners in the late 1960's.

that makes £1 for food £14 for profit for Conservative Party donors. Quite a lot of food for £1.

Ian

Quite!
W H Auden
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

tatanab wrote:

Yes, though many on free meals may not be getting much on the other two meals either so the lunches are specced to be relatively nutritionally complete.

merseymouth wrote: Parenting skills have certainly got less common in the modern era, us from the rationing generation were fed better despite the shortages.

Have they? This seems to be one of those bits of received wisdom that is exacerbated by the usual anecdata consisting of outrageous examples in tabloids and on tv (benefits street) but lacks any actual evidence for.

Think there's been two issues mixed up with this.

One is whether free meals should be a thing? In my view yes. I cannot see any real reason to oppose them. Even from a purely capitalist perspective I struggle to see the logic in opposing them. Surely better to help children regardless of their (supposedly) feckless and irresponsible parents so that they have a greater chance of being economically productive as adults.

The second is about government procurement & cronyism. Regardless of views on the first part, that contracted companies were providing what they were, for what they were being paid to do is completely outrageous. I've seen MPs claiming that what was provided was sufficient for 5 lunches, that rather misses the point that someone's been paid £10-15 of public money to provide what, even in a supermarket, could be acquired for about a fiver and at bulk wholesale rates must have been perhaps £3 max. I've concerns on the basic hygiene issues of apportioning up a tin of tuna into miscellaneous plastic bags/containers as well.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stevek76 wrote:
merseymouth wrote: Parenting skills have certainly got less common in the modern era, us from the rationing generation were fed better despite the shortages.

Have they? This seems to be one of those bits of received wisdom that is exacerbated by the usual anecdata consisting of outrageous examples in tabloids and on tv (benefits street) but lacks any actual evidence for.

Think there's been two issues mixed up with this.

One is whether free meals should be a thing? In my view yes. I cannot see any real reason to oppose them. Even from a purely capitalist perspective I struggle to see the logic in opposing them. Surely better to help children regardless of their (supposedly) feckless and irresponsible parents so that they have a greater chance of being economically productive as adults.

The second is about government procurement & cronyism. Regardless of views on the first part, that contracted companies were providing what they were, for what they were being paid to do is completely outrageous. I've seen MPs claiming that what was provided was sufficient for 5 lunches, that rather misses the point that someone's been paid £10-15 of public money to provide what, even in a supermarket, could be acquired for about a fiver and at bulk wholesale rates must have been perhaps £3 max. I've concerns on the basic hygiene issues of apportioning up a tin of tuna into miscellaneous plastic bags/containers as well.

Spot on!
The good old days,yeah right :?
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I cannot help thinking that in today's British society, a lot of people are paid much more than their contribution to society merits.

Premier League footballers are but one case in point.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:I cannot help thinking that in today's British society, a lot of people are paid much more than their contribution to society merits.

Premier League footballers are but one case in point.

Whilst I agree,I wouldn't blame the footballers,etc,it's the people who are daft enough to pay stupid money to support their 'talents'.
There was an article on the lunchtime news about a young man who 'earned' £5million for playing computer games.
The world's gone mad.
W H Auden