Are Adventure Bikes the reincarnation of Sport Tourers?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
nsew

Re: Are Adventure Bikes the reincarnation of Sport Tourers?

Post by nsew »

Here’s to poor planning. For years something I’ve unwittingly placed great stead by. With mixed results.
Last edited by nsew on 14 Jan 2021, 2:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Here's to adventure, on any and all bikes!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Back in the day, ie my youth, we had bikes or racers. Whichever, it was steel, either hub or derailleur, mudguards or not. Same brakes In the RFS you had whatever you had, knee length wool socks, boy scout shorts and a wool jumper and a cape for bad weather.

Saving a few minutes was not a thing.

Are we too precious now? For those who want to race or need speed, fair enough. But most of us?
John
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

jumpers for goalposts, isn't it, hmmm?

some of it was that there wasn't much else available, and some of it was that we didn't know any better (or wouldn't have cared if we did perhaps...)....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

I am over a certain age and I know what I like and I'm sticking with it as long as I can find the parts. But if I were young and experimenting with different bike styles and different types of cycling I think I would have a wonderful selection to play with, possibly better than at any other time.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

MartinC wrote:Yes.

+1
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Maybe, if possibly would be a good answer. How do you define both the sports tourer and the adventure bike.
I would put the Dawes Galaxy, a classic that may of us are familiar with a a touch clunky for the term sports tourer, nice ride that it can be.
I would see an adventure bike as something at the heavy (mostly) end of the gravel bike idea. It will have whopping tyres, a single chain ring and very slack geometry in line with modern MTBs.
Therefore, to me, sports tourers are a log way from adventure bikes. One of the multi purpose CX bikes from a few years ago would be more of a sports tourer. Reasonably sharp handling, mudguard and bottle mounts and the ability to pop along quickly on the roads but cope with the back roads as well.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

mattsccm wrote:Maybe, if possibly would be a good answer. How do you define both the sports tourer and the adventure bike.........

Exactly. Most bikes can, and do get used for a variety or purposes. The taxonomy of bicycle types and purposes depends entirely on a subjective classification of both. They are also shaped by whatever the current fashion in marketing is. It's not a big deal, if people talk about a Gravel bike, Adventure bike, Road bike, Cross bike etc. we generally know what they're talking about.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Martin C has summed it up really.