Tier 4 exercise limits

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thirdcrank

Re: Tier 4 exercise limits

Post by thirdcrank »

1301-MATT-GALLERY-WEB-P1.jpg
1301-MATT-GALLERY-WEB-P1.jpg (28.11 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:I got four out of the seven correct, but a couple of the ones I got wrong were iffy IMHO.
The last one about weddings and funerals I got wrong too.

I wouldn't worry too much about that unless you're planning to get married or die soon. ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

That quiz highlights a large part of the problem. It is titled "How much do you know about the Covid rules", but goes on to talk about "the law" in the answers.

The rules as often stated by Govt Ministers, etc are often not what is stated in law. Aaaaagggghhhhh!
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

simonhill wrote:That quiz highlights a large part of the problem. It is titled "How much do you know about the Covid rules", but goes on to talk about "the law" in the answers.

The rules as often stated by Govt Ministers, etc are often not what is stated in law. Aaaaagggghhhhh!

Legislation = rules
Guidance = advice

HTH
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Legislation = Law

Rules tend just to be official advice, and not Law.
Mick F. Cornwall
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Mick F wrote:Legislation = Law

Not in my dictionary:

rule: one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct or procedure within a particular area of activity

advice: guidance or recommendations offered with regard to prudent future action
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

DaveReading wrote:
Mick F wrote:Legislation = Law

Not in my dictionary:

rule: one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct or procedure within a particular area of activity

advice: guidance or recommendations offered with regard to prudent future action

Agreed. There is a difference between legislation and advice, but rules and regulations can have legal force, eg:
UK Statutory Instruments
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi?title=rules

Jonathan
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cycling UK wrote:In a joint letter with British Cycling and British Triathlon, Cycling UK has asked the government to end confusion over ‘stay local’ guidance in England... (link)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Rules are rules.
School rules?
Did you break any and get the cane? :wink:

rule |ruːl|
noun
one of a set of explicit or understood regulations or principles governing conduct or procedure within a particular area of activity: the rules of cricket | those who did break the rules would be dealt with swiftly.
Note "particular area of activity".

law |lɔː|
noun
[mass noun] (often the law) the system of rules which a particular country or community recognizes as regulating the actions of its members and which it may enforce by the imposition of penalties: shooting the birds is against the law | they were taken to court for breaking the law | [as modifier] : law enforcement.
Note "particular country" and "enforce" and "penalties".
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

prestavalve wrote:When I need to be on site, I normally cycle to work. Today, it started sleeting just before lunch and is still going, so I don't fancy riding back and am taking the train. Just saw a dude get on at Haymarket with a big set of golf clubs. Not the first time I have seen him do it either. Wondering what his excuse could be, or maybe he doesn't need one. Riddle me that.

You say Haymarket so assume Scotland.
The guy was off for a game of golf on his local course no doubt not going more than 5 miles outwith his authority. On the train wearing a mask, I hope, and SD . Doesn’t need an excuse all perfectly good within Scotland.
Doesn’t listen to that lot over the Border they’re totally confused. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mike Sales

Can you catch Covid outside?

Post by Mike Sales »

I thought this BBC article would be interesting to cyclists.

What makes the outdoors safer?

Researchers say infections can happen outdoors, but the chances are massively reduced.

Fresh air disperses and dilutes the virus.

It also helps to evaporate the liquid droplets in which it is carried.

On top of that, ultraviolet light from the Sun should kill any virus that's out in the open.

Even so, there are a handful of cases where it's believed that infections did happen outside.

One study found that two men in China talking face-to-face for at least 15 minutes was enough to spread the virus.

So the risks are low but not zero, but what are they?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-55680305
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Re: Can you catch Covid outside?

Post by Jdsk »

That's pretty good but "kill any" is a bit too strong for the effect of UV from the sun. It certainly helps.

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

On any need for masks outdoors, referred to upthread and apparently championed by mayor khan, this might be of interest to folks, in addition to chris whitty's take on outdoor risk.
BBC News - Covid-19: Can you catch the virus outside?

If folks want to wear them, feel free of course.

Stay safe folks.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:On any need for masks outdoors, [...]
BBC News - Covid-19: Can you catch the virus outside?

If folks want to wear them, feel free of course.

This caught my eye: "they worry about areas that are not just crowded but also partly enclosed, such as market stalls or bus shelters."

Now, I don't know about everywhere, but most market stalls are pretty much either roof-only or you stand completely outside them (like jewellery kiosks or fishmongers). Even permanent markets like Norwich have most stalls open on 2 or 3 sides. Only covered markets like Oxford or Borough Market seem enclosed to me.

Bit different to bus shelters, some of which are open three sides but many are enclosed on all but part of one, but probably is itself insignificant compared to the risk on the bus which is more enclosed and probably heated.

Market days here have been pretty quiet lately anyway: Downham Market has fewer stalls (or more on the Town Square instead of the Market Square? I'm not sure) to space them out more and almost everyone is wearing masks (partly because the town council seems to be giving them to anyone without one); whereas Lynn's Tuesday Market appears to have collapsed entirely.

Even so, exercising is probably lower risk than market shopping or bus use and much lower than indoor shopping.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I'd think exercise was much lower risk if it's just running/cycling on public roads/parks, even if you find an area of high concentration you'll be through it in seconds so total viral load exposure remains low.

With markets, even roof only ones or a few stalls can substantially disrupt the airflow (of course this will vary day to day). If wind speed is low, a roof only one will become a big old virus trap. Plus the virus being emitted into it is much higher, lots of people, many talking, and the exposure time is longer, someone at a market is probably going to be there for anywhere from 15min-1hr.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop