killing parts!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
foxyrider

killing parts!

Post by foxyrider »

So last week i ordered a new back wheel, the one in the bike has served well but the rim is quite worn and the bearings are shot after a particularly hard year of riding and many years of general abuse. Anyhow, delivery is expected next week - no problem says i, pretty sure the bearings will last me that long and the brake track isn't that bad, and the wheel is still true. That is until today, horrible damp, windy weather, a strangely large amount of spilt deisel on the damp roads, i didn't give the squirmy braking too much thought, the tyre was inflated, the wheel looked pretty straight still. When i got back tho, it was immediately obvious what the issue was!

DSCN8473.JPG

Yep, complete failure of a nipple hole, i've missed the warning signs because of all the crud on the roads around here coating everything in a liberal layer of field, the last de-crud was a week ago.

So my pre emptive wheel purchase has now become a desperate replacement need!

Perhaps i should offer my services to the bike trade - i seem to be able to kill just about any component - at xmas it was the BB and the headset on the same bike is, i know, in dire need of attention as we speak! :lol:

ps - my bikes do get cleaned and serviced, i don't use cheap parts either.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
fastpedaller

Re: killing parts!

Post by fastpedaller »

Wow - can I ask which rim it is, make/model?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I have seen many rims fail in that kind of way. If similar it'll be;

- a driveside rear spoke
- in a wheel with full dishing eg 8s/130mm
- a tight build
- statistically it is most likely to be within a few holes of the rim joint,
- in a single-eyelet (or no-eyelet) rim,
- with PG spokes not DB ones
- the rim isn't corrosion proofed around the nipples
- the wheel is used on a bike that sees freshly gritted winter roads and relatively infrequent washing
- the bike has either no mudguards or mudguards which lack a long front mudflap

IME it is unusual not to score at least 6/9 when a failure like that is seen.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

I have seen better wheels in a museum !

when as this wheel last cleaned ? ..................looks like it was knackered before it rusted out the nipple - looking at the braking surface - or lack of.

I can't comprehend how you let your wheel become so ''tired''. bearing in mind you say that you clean and service it
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

cyclemad wrote:I have seen better wheels in a museum !

when as this wheel last cleaned ? ..................looks like it was knackered before it rusted out the nipple - looking at the braking surface - or lack of.

I can't comprehend how you let your wheel become so ''tired''. bearing in mind you say that you clean and service it

last cleaned 3 rides ago - most of the crud was from the previous ride in S Gloucs 2days before. Hasn't rusted out at all, its Al, and under the crud there is a worn but still serviceable braking surface.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

fastpedaller wrote:Wow - can I ask which rim it is, make/model?

If memory serves its an 'Omega V', the wheel is a Raleigh Trubuild of about a ten year vintage.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Brucey wrote:I have seen many rims fail in that kind of way. If similar it'll be;

- a driveside rear spoke
- in a wheel with full dishing eg 8s/130mm
- a tight build
- statistically it is most likely to be within a few holes of the rim joint,
- in a single-eyelet (or no-eyelet) rim,
- with PG spokes not DB ones
- the rim isn't corrosion proofed around the nipples
- the wheel is used on a bike that sees freshly gritted winter roads and relatively infrequent washing
- the bike has either no mudguards or mudguards which lack a long front mudflap

IME it is unusual not to score at least 6/9 when a failure like that is seen.

cheers

6/9 is about right.
Its not a particularly tight build, its never needed any attention from new.
Not a lot of gritting on the roads around here until the last week and crud is usually washed off after each ride - the hose froze at the weekend and the nozzle is now kernackered which is why there is so much on the wheel - its mostly from the previous ride.
Full mudguards since September - there is a longish front mudflap but indeed muck does get past that.

The wheel certainly doesn't owe me, i've got a duplicate build (the hub's more a project than economic repair!) on order, if i get the same service life i'll be well happy.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Please could you clean it and show us another photo?

Jonathan
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

foxyrider wrote:
cyclemad wrote:I have seen better wheels in a museum !

last cleaned 3 rides ago - most of the crud was from the previous ride in S Gloucs 2days before. Hasn't rusted out at all, its Al, and under the crud there is a worn but still serviceable braking surface.

youve done well travelling from South Yorkshire * as per your profile ) to Gloucester for a ride out :)
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jdsk wrote:Please could you clean it and show us another photo?

Jonathan

Just to prove there actually is a rim under that muck? :lol:

That is the reality of doing lots of miles in winter whilst not spending the rest of your time cleaning. I have had wheels look like that (without the broken rim) in mid winter.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Jdsk wrote:Please could you clean it and show us another photo?

Jonathan

New wheel due tomorrow :D , i'll give the dead one a quick wipe when i do the wheel swap stuff - i don't really want to get covered in crud removing tyre/ cassette :lol:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

cyclemad wrote:
youve done well travelling from South Yorkshire * as per your profile ) to Gloucester for a ride out :)

i've been marooned in Brizzle due to CV19, i'm between accomodation atm, but i'll be back in GOC as soon as conditions allow.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

So the replacement wheel arrived today - time for a quick clean/service including removing a bit of grime off the old wheel.

DSCN8485.JPG

Which is when i discovered not just the failure which prompted the thread

DSCN8483.JPG

but what i thought was the wear indicator on the drive side was in fact an almost complete failure of the side wall!

DSCN8489.JPG

This wasn't there when i set out on Wednesday and thankfully the inner wall and the joiner fillet kept things together - its no wonder it started getting a bit sketchy under braking!

For the techno's out there, the exploded nipple hole was actually 90 degrees from the rim join / valve hole and as predicted, drive side, wheel has a Quando 8/9 sp hub, 36 plain gauge spokes and an older iteration of the Omega rim on the new wheel (below) which is different only in having a Tiagra 10/11 speed hub. I've had to use the 11sp shim supplied with the wheel as well as the original 8 to 7 spacer behind the cassette.

DSCN8490.JPG
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thank you

Jonathan
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

You got full value out of that rim