And this man is in the cabinet!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

And this man is in the cabinet!

Post by pete75 »

What an idiotic statement. Still he is the chap who reckoned you could avoid Covid by singing the national anthem while washing your hands.

The Commons leader Jacob Rees-Mogg said he believes fish are “better and happier” at being fully “British” now the Brexit process is complete. “The key is we’ve got our fish back – they’re now British fish! And better and happier for it!” he exclaimed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... ost-409389
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
simonineaston

Re: And this man is in the cabinet!

Post by simonineaston »

The fellow is a supercilious, stuck-up, toffee-nosed, solid-gold nobber... no wonder they hide him away at every opportunity!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cringeworthy.
The whole thing sounds like a Steven Fry line from Blackadder.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I rather get the impression the fish are happier not because they're British but because there's less incentive to catch them.

https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-eu-scotland-fishing/exclusive-its-a-catastrophe-scottish-fishermen-halt-exports-due-to-brexit-red-tape-idUSL1N2JJ0QK
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:I rather get the impression the fish are happier not because they're British but because there's less incentive to catch them.

https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-eu-scotland-fishing/exclusive-its-a-catastrophe-scottish-fishermen-halt-exports-due-to-brexit-red-tape-idUSL1N2JJ0QK

That'll be abaet reet :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

simonineaston wrote:The fellow is a supercilious, stuck-up, toffee-nosed, solid-gold nobber... no wonder they hide him away at every opportunity!

Spot on,comonly termed as an,A1,first class,tw@t,who has nothing in common with the ordinary people he's supposed to represent :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
W H Auden
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Most distressing he couldn’t hide his glee that it was harming Scotland.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Funnily enough, I work with a lot of primary schools across his constituency, and whenever his name crops up, it's frequently not treated with perhaps the respect he might hope is due...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Surely if the fish is 'happy' it'd be heartless to catch it, cook it and eat it!

I'm reminded of the Ameglian Major Cow in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. There we had a beast that "not only wanted to be eaten, but was capable of saying so, clearly and distinctly".

Same with this 'happy fish' surely? No thanks! I'll have Arthur's green salad... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

reohn2 wrote:
simonineaston wrote:The fellow is a supercilious, stuck-up, toffee-nosed, solid-gold nobber... no wonder they hide him away at every opportunity!

Spot on,comonly termed as an,A1,first class,tw@t,who has nothing in common with the ordinary people he's supposed to represent :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You are right about him but the voters chose him. What does that say about the area he represents. :(
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

You are right about him but the voters chose him. What does that say about the area he represents. :(

The same as the whole of the UK the voters chose the present government on a single sound bite,this is what we got for it.

You can fool some of the people all of the time,
You can fool all of the people some of the time.
But you can't fool all the people all of the time.
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

francovendee wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Mogg represents the great fishing ports of Keynsham, Radstock and Nempnett Thrubwell(!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...funnily enough, one of the nicest sea-food outlets I found recently is / was in Chew Magna, plumb in the middle of Rees-Mogg's consituency. A small shop unit, they've done it out as a wet-fish shop with a kitchen, and room to eat (just!) at small tables round the sides. Simply look to see what you like the look of and ask them to cook it. Worked well, the times I've been. Bit pricey, mind... reviews here. No sign of J R-M :-)
S
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Where's Al?
Ideal thread for him to pop up and tell us how good the fish is in his local fishmongers...