How's your weather?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: How's your weather?

Post by pwa »

thirdcrank wrote:It's snowed here (Gildersome, South Leeds) without let-up all day. Judging by the neighbours' cars gone to work, it didn't start much before 6am. Last week's snow had gone so today's is all new. It's not the typical large snowflakes which float down and settle but very fine. There's no wind so no drifts but I just measured it as 4" deep. By the standards of round here, that's a lot of snow.

By the standards of round here (S Wales coast) that is a lot of snow too. We haven't had snow this winter, and today is mild and grey again. Not even frost last night. A hint of rain this morning but just grey now.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

A bit wet and miserable here but not too cold so we took the road bikes out today since the full mudguards keeps most of the water from drenching our feet. Mountain bikes have been great on the frosty/snowy dry days.
I am here. Where are you?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote:It's snowed here (Gildersome, South Leeds) without let-up all day. Judging by the neighbours' cars gone to work, it didn't start much before 6am. Last week's snow had gone so today's is all new. It's not the typical large snowflakes which float down and settle but very fine. There's no wind so no drifts but I just measured it as 4" deep. By the standards of round here, that's a lot of snow.

There is saying in Welsh:-
"Eira mawr Eira bach,
Eira bach Eira mawr"

Which means;
" big snow little snow,
Little snow big snow"

It is often very true.
When the flakes are small and fine the actual snowfall is often large.
And when really big flakes fall, large accumulations are rare.

The really big falls in my lifetime have nearly always been from fine snow often associated with Easterly flows. It's then the drifting snow that really makes "life" difficult.

In 1947 the drifts on the Denbigh Moors were 30' deep. Though winter didn't start until the very end of January but then lasted until the end of March, almost without any thaw.
Cattle starved to death in the hills of Wales. It was a terrible hard winter that went on and on and is still in the memories of old folks.

Things have warmed up globally since then though.
Maybe the UK will never see such weather for millennia, though weather and climate are rather different phenomena!!
rjb

Post by rjb »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
In 1947 the drifts on the Denbigh Moors were 30' deep. Though winter didn't start until the very end of January but then lasted until the end of March, almost without any thaw.
Cattle starved to death in the hills of Wales. It was a terrible hard winter that went on and on and is still in the memories of old folks.

Maybe the UK will never see such weather for millennia, though weather and climate are rather different phenomena!!

When the beast from the east struck Somerset in 2018 the snow drifts were so deep at the top of Porlock Hill it was easier to put in a temporary road through a farmer's field to enable the reopening of the main North Devon coast road the A39. So the chances of such weather phenomena may not be distant as you imagine.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

rjb wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

When the beast from the east struck Somerset in 2018 the snow drifts were so deep at the top of Porlock Hill it was easier to put in a temporary road through a farmer's field to enable the reopening of the main North Devon coast road the A39. So the chances of such weather phenomena may not be distant as you imagine.

Oh you misinterpret me.
Hence my last comment.
I am always prepared!!
I remember 1963!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=62Fy25NgXuQ
pwa

Post by pwa »

I must admit, I've not cycled at all so far this year, preferring long walks instead. The thing that puts me off when the question "A walk or a ride?" comes up is all the wet salt on the roads. The bike is sitting in the garage, nice, dry, well lubricated and very clean. Five minutes on the road would have salt all over it, so I get the walking boots out instead and go for a hike. It isn't as if I am in training for anything.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

We set off for a short ride this afternoon as it was nice and dry but with a cool northerly wind.
Cycled down to the coast and the sun came out, which instantly lifted the temperature.
Instead of doing our planned short ride, we extended it by a few miles and enjoyed warmth on our backs all the way home (though the cold north wind was chilly on our fronts :wink: ).
peetee

Post by peetee »

pwa wrote:I must admit, I've not cycled at all so far this year, preferring long walks instead.

I am doing the same following one painful ride in January and a visit to the chiropractor for attention to my neck. “Stay off the bike and walk for the next two weeks at least” was the instruction. Rather now than in the summer is my view and it’s giving me an opportunity to absorb a lot of local history that has passed me by.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm off on my second ride this year this morning.
Weather mild (for January) and dry.

My first ride (on Tuesday) had an average temp of 9degC but it was drizzly and windy.
Seems very different this morning. Dry and calm, temp is probably 5 or 6degC.

We have a couple of great tits hanging around the nesting box high up on the back wall. I took the box down late last year to clean it out and repair it, as it's been in place for ten or fifteen years. First occupants were nuthatches, but since then it's been blue tits.

Only put it back up at the end of last week, so it's nice to see prospective new owners so soon.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Enjoy your ride Mick still waiting for favourable conditions. it got above freezing here yesterday, for the first time, but rained with snow on't hills. . Today is dry but back in minus numbers and iced up again.
Walk it is then.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Off for my 3rd ride of the year shortly in bright sunshine. The lanes have lots of running water and wet leaves so care will be needed.. Doggy walking pm. I tend to take them short distances to avoid mud in the fields but stick throwing and retrieval gives them the exercise they need.

Al

EDIT ps... It was so cold when I set out (4 degrees apparently) that I turned around after a mile and came home to collect a Buff to protect my ears which were nearly falling off with the cold.
Doggy expedition went well but lots of mud around.
Last edited by al_yrpal on 15 Jan 2021, 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Our weather is like this:

Have we got time for another cuppa?
peetee

Post by peetee »

You lot are going to hate me for this but I have just finished a three hour walk around the north coast. It was a light southerly breeze so I was sheltered for a lot of it and it was very nearly t-shirt weather walking along the beach towards Hayle Towans.
Left a little message in the sand for anyone feeling that the present social climate is getting them down.
E71433DA-629C-43FD-9012-22D01950954F.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was cold on my ride this morning.
I was dressed ok, but after 15miles my feet were freezing and I was glad to get home.

Fine and dry with light airs, but with temps of 4degC.
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Dry,cloudy and frosty here in West Lanc's, lots of frozen standing melt-water in the fields from the recent snow, nice enough if you wear 'suitable clothing'.
P1120681.JPG

P1120667.JPG
Nu-Fogey