Driving licence renewal.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Driving licence renewal.

Post by Mike Sales »

I received today a letter from the DVLA informing me that my driving licence expired the day before my seventieth birthday which was some months ago.
Besides the two questions about eyesight, the enclosed renewal form has twenty one questions on various health problems, from diabetes to severe learning disability.
Is this new?
All very fine, but I have never had a full driving licence, and the provisional one I once had expired some years ago.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Jdsk

Re: Driving licence renewal.

Post by Jdsk »

How strange. Does the letter include a driving licence number? if so you can check what they think your status is at:
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

Jonathan
peetee

Post by peetee »

That’s a bit suspect. I thought DVLA were communicating by email unless you request otherwise. Sounds to me like a lot of questions that would make a marketing company very happy. What is the return address?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Good thought.

Which?: "How to spot DVLA scams":
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-spot-dvla-scams

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

peetee wrote:That’s a bit suspect. I thought DVLA were communicating by email ............
DVLA don't know our email address.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Mick F wrote:
peetee wrote:That’s a bit suspect. I thought DVLA were communicating by email ............
DVLA don't know our email address.

Nor mine.

The form came with a return envelope correctly addressed to the DVLA in Swansea. It seems unlikely that a scammer could have set up a way to intercept the R.M.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
rjb

Post by rjb »

TC started a thread on this topic recently. Answers to most questions can be found here. viewtopic.php?t=141775
I'm 70 later this year so will try and remember this thread for later. :(
:wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

rjb wrote:TC started a thread on this topic recently. Answers to most questions can be found here. viewtopic.php?t=141775
I would suggest that the two threads be merged. (MODS?!)

I too passed the big 'seven-oh' last year, but at least I got the renewal letter some weeks before. When I submitted my application, although I have no chronic conditions to declare, I did have to mention that I'd had an operation for subdural haematoma a few weeks earlier.

So they stalled, telling me I had to get the OK from the consultant neurosurgeon before getting my licence. And then, of course, you-know-what happened and it was impossible to get to see any doctor, let alone a consultant, unless you were either at death's door, or had Covid (or both) :( .

So I waited. I wasn't in any hurry to drive anywhere anytime soon, what with lockdown and all, so the car languished on the driveway (SORN'd - I'm the only driver) while we did our shopping by bike - as we nearly always have done anyway. Finally the DVLA ordered me to undergo a field-of-vision test at Specsavers, which I duly attended, and then I finally got my licence back! :)

Still haven't put the car back on the road though. It'll need a new battery, then be taxed (sorry: "VED'd"), insured and MOT'd all in one go. I'll wait till lockdown has eased a bit, and with luck I'll have had the jab(s) too...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

661-Pete wrote:
rjb wrote:TC started a thread on this topic recently. Answers to most questions can be found here. viewtopic.php?t=141775
I would suggest that the two threads be merged. (MODS?!)

I too passed the big 'seven-oh' last year, but at least I got the renewal letter some weeks before. When I submitted my application, although I have no chronic conditions to declare, I did have to mention that I'd had an operation for subdural haematoma a few weeks earlier.

So they stalled, telling me I had to get the OK from the consultant neurosurgeon before getting my licence. And then, of course, you-know-what happened and it was impossible to get to see any doctor, let alone a consultant, unless you were either at death's door, or had Covid (or both) :( .

So I waited. I wasn't in any hurry to drive anywhere anytime soon, what with lockdown and all, so the car languished on the driveway (SORN'd - I'm the only driver) while we did our shopping by bike - as we nearly always have done anyway. Finally the DVLA ordered me to undergo a field-of-vision test at Specsavers, which I duly attended, and then I finally got my licence back! :)

Still haven't put the car back on the road though. It'll need a new battery, then be taxed (sorry: "VED'd"), insured and MOT'd all in one go. I'll wait till lockdown has eased a bit, and with luck I'll have had the jab(s) too...

Don't worry: it's tax. Excise is just a word for tax but levied on goods.
John