Did you clap this time round - or last time?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Syd

Re: Did you clap this time round - or last time?

Post by Syd »

I can’t speak for nurses, as I don’t recruit any of those, but any recruitment process I have carried out over the past year has seen applicants both increase in number and quality.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Syd wrote:I can’t speak for nurses, as I don’t recruit any of those, but any recruitment process I have carried out over the past year has seen applicants both increase in number and quality.

It was recruiting nurses in particular that I was interested in.
Along with this an interest in has the retention of nurses improved or worsened?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote:
Syd wrote:I can’t speak for nurses, as I don’t recruit any of those, but any recruitment process I have carried out over the past year has seen applicants both increase in number and quality.

It was recruiting nurses in particular that I was interested in.
Along with this an interest in has the retention of nurses improved or worsened?

ONS report, published June 2019:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicspending/articles/isstaffretentionanissueinthepublicsector/2019-06-17

NHS Improvement: "The national retention programme: two years on":
https://improvement.nhs.uk/resources/national-retention-programme-two-years-on/

Jonathan
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

pwa wrote: Nursing staff are generally £30k or less, unless they have risen well up the ladder.

Well it depends on what you define 'risen well up the ladder'. A newly qualified nurse is Band 5 and starts on £25,000; about 7 years later, and without moving up any pay bands, increments will take that to £30,000 a year. In 2018 the Royal College of Nursing calculated the average annual pay for a nurse is £33,384, which roughly means the average nurse is in Band 6 with 2 years experience in that Band.

This is unless you're including auxiliary nurses, who obviously have an important nursing role, but who can start with a minimum of NVQs or even on-the-job training, they do not do three years training to start. My mother-in-law worked as a nursing auxiliary for the last 20 or so years of her working life. She started with no qualifications beyond common sense.
Syd

Did you clap this time round - or last time?

Post by Syd »

Ben@Forest wrote:
pwa wrote: Nursing staff are generally £30k or less, unless they have risen well up the ladder.

Well it depends on what you define 'risen well up the ladder'. A newly qualified nurse is Band 5 and starts on £25,000; about 7 years later, and without moving up any pay bands, increments will take that to £30,000 a year. In 2018 the Royal College of Nursing calculated the average annual pay for a nurse is £33,384, which roughly means the average nurse is in Band 6 with 2 years experience in that Band.

This is unless you're including auxiliary nurses, who obviously have an important nursing role, but who can start with a minimum of NVQs or even on-the-job training, they do not do three years training to start. My mother-in-law worked as a nursing auxiliary for the last 20 or so years of her working life. She started with no qualifications beyond common sense.

Due to changes being finalised this year it will now take less time to go from bottom of the band to the top. Its also geared to help the lower bands move up quicker.

At the time agenda for change came about grade D and E staff nurses were both move across to band 5, (grade compression) grade D at the bottom and grade E at midpoint. This means what would have been a grade D nurse now no longer needs to gain promotion to end up earning what previously would have been a grade E salary.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've taken a look but the NHS retention scheme and it's showing a .6% improvement from 2017. I'm not clear what this period covers. I infer it's up to June 2019.
I can't see a date for the publication but two years is mentioned in the text?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
landsurfer wrote:£56K a year combined take home pay

I don't resent their money which is roughly similar to classroom teachers but I must say this is hardly breadline stuff where people need to visit foodbanks to survive.

When you say "take home" do you really mean take home ie after taxes, NIC, pension etc?

My wife has been teaching for thirty years and has never got near £56k, even as a head of department. And the higher paid roles have been disappearing, meaning that she has effectively been demoted like many of her colleagues, resulting in shrinking pay. £40k is more like it these days.

Nursing staff are generally £30k or less, unless they have risen well up the ladder.

My own job puts me on the front line, exposed to potentially infected members of the public, and a lot of the people I come into contact with appreciate that and thank me. Face to face. Which is nice. If you don't clap, fine, but it is good to show some appreciation to key workers who keep the wheels rolling, however you do it. It does make them feel that they are not being taken for granted.

This was the joint income .
John
Syd

Post by Syd »

Oldjohnw wrote:
pwa wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
I don't resent their money which is roughly similar to classroom teachers but I must say this is hardly breadline stuff where people need to visit foodbanks to survive.

When you say "take home" do you really mean take home ie after taxes, NIC, pension etc?

My wife has been teaching for thirty years and has never got near £56k, even as a head of department. And the higher paid roles have been disappearing, meaning that she has effectively been demoted like many of her colleagues, resulting in shrinking pay. £40k is more like it these days.

Nursing staff are generally £30k or less, unless they have risen well up the ladder.

My own job puts me on the front line, exposed to potentially infected members of the public, and a lot of the people I come into contact with appreciate that and thank me. Face to face. Which is nice. If you don't clap, fine, but it is good to show some appreciation to key workers who keep the wheels rolling, however you do it. It does make them feel that they are not being taken for granted.

This was the joint income .

Which will be a bit higher now once the incorrect salary is sorted out
David9694

Post by David9694 »

It was nice to see our neighbours the first time around - it became a thing for a short while in our road. I don’t like it though - mawkish, hypocritical in many people’s case. Wasn’t sorry to see the attempted revival flop.

NHS staff deserve better.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.