Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KTHSullivan

Re: Post-Brexit - buying bike parts abroad . . (incl. Rose/DutchBikeParts)

Post by KTHSullivan »

So two thirds of that unexpected bill was the VAT that she would have paid anyway, but of course it's a better story if you don't make that clear and put the detail several paragraphs below the initial claim.

+1

I on occasions import optical equipment from the EU. The company that I predominantly deal with are now selling into the UK to exclude local (German) VAT when the price of the goods exceed the £135 (150 euro) threshold. So one would expect to be paying hopefully the VAT on the goods once.

However, I have noticed that some companies, either in error or deliberately are charging local VAT for goods that are clearly being exported to the UK which should be "local" VAT free as far as I can determine.

Again, I think that there will be quite a few "anomalies" until it all settles down. But during the interim I suspect, as I have eluded to in a previous post, an awful lot of charlatans will get on the band waggon.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

PH wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:I thought it was the other way round? If the value is under £135, the purchaser is responsible for paying VAT (usually via the delivery service). If it's over, it is paid by the vendor and relaid by them to HMRC.

No, the VAT on consignments under £135 should be collected by the retailer, over £135 should be handled on import by the purchaser.
I's also important to know it's the consignment value, rather than the individual products.

Not just VAT, the Free Trade Agreement only removes Import Duty for goods which pass the Rules of Origin tests, which are different per product and require a certain %age of the components to be made in that Customs Area.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Psamathe wrote:
KTHSullivan wrote:I read that the "pre-payment" are causing major issues with EU hauliers stopping shipping to UK due to this aspect
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/20/absolute-carnage-eu-hauliers-reject-uk-jobs-over-brexit-rules wrote:'Absolute carnage': EU
[b]A truck with a £200,000 cargo would need cash or a T1 financial guarantee document for £40,000 in VAT alone, he said, a significant burden for transport companies with multiple trucks going to the UK.

Sounds similar to the financial guarantee required to get an ATA Carnet for temporary import.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

PH wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:I thought it was the other way round? If the value is under £135, the purchaser is responsible for paying VAT (usually via the delivery service). If it's over, it is paid by the vendor and relaid by them to HMRC.

No, the VAT on consignments under £135 should be collected by the retailer, over £135 should be handled on import by the purchaser.
I's also important to know it's the consignment value, rather than the individual products.

Okay, thinking about it some more, that is right and I was wrong above.
I think the total sum under/over £135 also includes postage/shipping?
nomm

Post by nomm »

so my £60 order from a big german bike retailer is likely going to arrive late and cost me a fee via the courier?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd bet that way.

Jonathan
nomm

Post by nomm »

Jdsk wrote:I'd bet that way.

Jonathan

balls
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

nomm wrote:so my £60 order from a big german bike retailer is likely going to arrive late and cost me a fee via the courier?
At £60, the retailer should be registering with UK HMRC, calculating VAT and import duty, generating the customs paperwork and then passing the money on to the UK govt. The courier's only meant to do that for packages over £135.
A novice learning...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Apologies if already answered.

1: I understand that below £135 I have no import/customs duties to be paid - and so no fee to a courier to collect them?

If so that simplifies one thing for me personally (though I stress that I think the broder picture a complete mess)

2: Am I right in thinking that if I buy anything at all from anywhere at all based anywhere (europe, far east, anywhere) on an ebay outlet (and some foreign retailers have ebay outlets - notably Taylor Wheels I think) then I can assume that ebay will have taken care of all UK VAT, already charged me for it, and that I will then not be liable for any UK VAT payment nor a processing fee from a courier or whoever to collect it?
Sweep
Syd

Post by Syd »

I don’t often order bike parts from the EU but when I have done in the part it’s been from two places.

Both now have prominent notices saying they have temporarily stopped shipping to the UK.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Jdsk wrote:
De Sisti wrote:
De Sisti wrote:I ordered some glasses from a company in Italy at 20:00 on 31st December. Their comformatory email
quotes a delivery date of 12 January 2021. I wonder if they will honour, or cancel it?

I have received an email stating that the glasses are held up in customs. I expect they'll be adding a charge
for their release (and for the courier to demand something).

Yes. Update when appropriate, please.

Jonathan

Phew! Oakley Sutro Forager sunglasses arrived a couple of minutes ago (via UPS). No customs
or courier charges. Was it because they were ordered before the Brexit deadline? I don't know.
Anyhow, I'm happy.

When I first saw these glasses being promoted on various cycling websites last spring/summer, prices
ranged between £108 and £134. It is my opinion that they didn't sell in the numbers Oakley wanted,
hence the reduced price.

I bought them for £58*, with free postage. A triple-whammy good news story for me. :D

*Yes, I know. Cheaper glasses are available.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I ordered a Sigg bottle last year (late Dec). Web site "suggests" it is from UK (a UK phone number provided but dial it and you get a "you have dialled an incorrect number" message from BT). Apparently it is shipping from Germany and they still have not dispatched it - apparently because of DPD service issues. It was ordered on a quoted 2-4 day delivery.

That said, I have contacted their UK representatives who are sorting out something as they have no idea how long the current situation will last.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

De Sisti wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
De Sisti wrote:I have received an email stating that the glasses are held up in customs. I expect they'll be adding a charge
for their release (and for the courier to demand something).

Yes. Update when appropriate, please.

Phew! Oakley Sutro Forager sunglasses arrived a couple of minutes ago (via UPS). No customs
or courier charges. Was it because they were ordered before the Brexit deadline? I don't know.
Anyhow, I'm happy.

Thanks

Jonathan
RickH

Post by RickH »

Sweep wrote:Apologies if already answered.

1: I understand that below £135 I have no import/customs duties to be paid - and so no fee to a courier to collect them?

If so that simplifies one thing for me personally (though I stress that I think the broder picture a complete mess)

2: Am I right in thinking that if I buy anything at all from anywhere at all based anywhere (europe, far east, anywhere) on an ebay outlet (and some foreign retailers have ebay outlets - notably Taylor Wheels I think) then I can assume that ebay will have taken care of all UK VAT, already charged me for it, and that I will then not be liable for any UK VAT payment nor a processing fee from a courier or whoever to collect it?

I think you may still be liable for duty (plus courier collection feedepending on what it is & where it is shipped from. If the shipment is over £135 then they shouldn't charge vat & you will pay that as well as duty. (if they do charge VAT you will probably pay twice & have no easy way of getting it back).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

RickH wrote:
Sweep wrote:Apologies if already answered.

I think you may still be liable for duty (plus courier collection feedepending on what it is & where it is shipped from. If the shipment is over £135 then they shouldn't charge vat & you will pay that as well as duty. (if they do charge VAT you will probably pay twice & have no easy way of getting it back).

thanks for the reply Rick.
I found this on the ebay page:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/payi ... intent=tax

which seems to say you are in the clear if buying stuff through ebay as regards VAT as long as it is below £135 - as you will have already paid it, it will be shown as tax paid just before you hand over the money and you will get an invoice showing VAT paid.
So nothing to collect on entry to the country/delivery and no handling fee to collect it.
So that just leaves the question of customs duties on stuff under £135.
Are there any?
Sweep