Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote:Isle of man are keeping their vaccination interval at 21 days instead of the 12 weeks interval the uk are leaving.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of- ... 9-vaccine/

I'm very surprised by that. The IoM uses Public Health England, the MHRA and the JCVI... it doesn't have many relevant scientific experts of its own.

I'd guess that the reason is that there isn't so much pressure to unload the healthcare providers as in the UK.

Cowsham wrote:I think this is the correct course of action -- I remember scientists saying, at the beginning of this 12 week policy the uk had adopted, that they didn't agree with the longer gap between doses.

I know there's debate on both sides of the argument even on the island but I would trust their opinion more than the uk government after all they got a lot of things right first clip on this situation.

The lengthened interval is not a concern to the vast majority of experts in the field.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote:
Cowsham wrote:Isle of man are keeping their vaccination interval at 21 days instead of the 12 weeks interval the uk are leaving.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of- ... 9-vaccine/

I'm very surprised by that. The IoM uses Public Health England, the MHRA and the JCVI... it doesn't have many relevant scientific experts of its own.

I'd guess that the reason is that there isn't so much pressure to unload the healthcare providers as in the UK.

Cowsham wrote:I think this is the correct course of action -- I remember scientists saying, at the beginning of this 12 week policy the uk had adopted, that they didn't agree with the longer gap between doses.

I know there's debate on both sides of the argument even on the island but I would trust their opinion more than the uk government after all they got a lot of things right first clip on this situation.

The lengthened interval is not a concern to the vast majority of experts in the field.

Jonathan

Didn't seem that way early on -- why the change in experts decisions? IIRC there was quite a backlash from the majority of experts. How do you know?
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The change followed the availability of data on protection from the first dose, and the consequent recognition that it was possible to get a better effect with the limited supplies available by getting one dose to as many people as quickly as possible.

As the JCVI put it:
"Given the high level of protection afforded by the first dose, models suggest that initially vaccinating a greater number of people with a single dose will prevent more deaths and hospitalisations than vaccinating a smaller number of people with two doses"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prioritising-the-first-covid-19-vaccine-dose-jcvi-statement/optimising-the-covid-19-vaccination-programme-for-maximum-short-term-impact

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Maybe so ----- The island hopes to have everyone over 50 fully vaccinated by the end of May if the projected delivery of the vaccine to the island is realised. I think it's so they can have options on opening up the borders ( ports ) after that time.
6.5_lives_left

Post by 6.5_lives_left »

I took both my parents to the vaccination centre today. It was a Surgery in a small village. It was well organised. There was a chap outside on the road wrapped up warm to greet people as they (mostly) were driven there. Directed in one door when their time slot came up. Collected from another door after they had been processed. Took about 15 minutes from going in to coming out. Chap outside told me that they had 86 time slots times 3 nurses = 86 x 3 = 258 people per day.

My father, who gets a bit confused at times, emerged from the exit with his shirt sleeve rolled up and a wad of cotton taped over his upper arm, saying "I have to go back in a bit to get my injection". I tried to get him away from the entrance because he was blocking it and there was a queue forming behind him of patient patients waiting to get out. Before I could whisk him away, he grabbed the hand of the chap outside and shock it. :face_palm: . The chap took this graciously. I collected both parents and got them home safely. Job done.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

New real world data suggest that the UK should reconsider the decision to delay the second dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2021/01/20/re ... 9-vaccine/

The Isle of Man governors were right! I think we are going down the wrong path with this 12 week delay
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Just a quick thought:

The ONS, god bless em, are not being drawn on how many illegal immigrants are in the UK. However various estimates put the figure at somewhere between 310,000 & 860,000 ish. The later figure is to include the offspring of illegal immigrants. A significant proportion of these poor souls are thought to live in or near the capital. (This startling info came from a study commissioned by BJ when he was mayor of London, where he was endeavouring to determine a C/B analysis of providing an amnesty).

So we have potentially a comparatively large group of people who will never be called to have the Jab. If one were to view the figures in extremis, taking into account the upper figure postulated; we could potentially find a situation where roughly 9% of the Greater London population will never be vaccinated. The caveat obviously being not all illegal immigrants live, or indeed would want to live in Greater London.

I hasten to add that I am not decrying immigration in any of its guises, I am just considering what next to torment my local MP with.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

[quote="KTHSullivan"]Just a quick thought:

The ONS, god bless em, are not being drawn on how many illegal immigrants are in the UK. However various estimates put the figure at somewhere between 310,000 & 860,000 ish. The later figure is to include the offspring of illegal immigrants. A significant proportion of these poor souls are thought to live in or near the capital. (This startling info came from a study commissioned by BJ when he was mayor of London, where he was endeavouring to determine a C/B analysis of providing an amnesty).

So we have potentially a comparatively large group of people who will never be called to have the Jab. If one were to view the figures in extremis, taking into account the upper figure postulated; we could potentially find a situation where roughly 9% of the Greater London population will never be vaccinated. The caveat obviously being that not all illegal immigrants live, or indeed would want to live in Greater London.

I however wonder if this may be a prevailing factor in the recent incidence of the CV explosion in the home counties?

I do ponder the strangest things at times.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Just a quick thought:

So we have potentially a comparatively large group of people who will never be called to have the Jab. If one were to view the figures in extremis, taking into account the upper figure postulated; we could potentially find a situation where roughly 9% of the Greater London population will never be vaccinated. The caveat obviously being that not all illegal immigrants live, or indeed would want to live in Greater London.

I however wonder if this may be a prevailing factor in the recent incidence of the CV explosion in the home counties?

I do ponder the strangest things at times.[/quote]
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Just a quick thought:

I do ponder the strangest things at times.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Letter from JCWI to SAGE:
https://www.jcwi.org.uk/news/letter-to-sage-ensure-all-migrants-can-access-the-vaccine

It's a well known problem in public health, especially in communicable diseases and in antenatal, obstetric and neonatal care.

Jonathan
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Jdsk wrote:Letter from JCWI to SAGE:
https://www.jcwi.org.uk/news/letter-to-sage-ensure-all-migrants-can-access-the-vaccine

It's a well known problem in public health, especially in communicable diseases and in antenatal, obstetric and neonatal care.

Jonathan

At least someone has flagged it, thanks for the link.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The thing about illegal immigrants is that they don't get counted. They have to try to be invisible.
John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

They said on the uk government briefing last night on the news that it was a political decision to extend the immunization gap to 12 weeks and contrary to scientific opinion.

This was because the government waited too long to close the schools where the virus mixed with many households. The levels of infection were so high they couldn't afford to do the immunization properly at 3 weeks gap since that would not reach enough people in time to ease the pressure on the NHS.

Boris has yet again managed to muck it up in a new and interesting way.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Just when, at last, they had begun to do something roughly right - apart from the ridiculous boasting about leading the world
John