What would you wear in 1938.........?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Biscuit

What would you wear in 1938.........?

Post by Biscuit »

..................... If you were a bloke (ladeez can answer too :) ) and you were about to enter into a LEJOG/JOGLE adventure.

Why do I ask?

I was pondering, as I do on a regular basis, what I will take clothing wise when I do my E2E (probably on the trike). I then starting thinking a bit more as I was assembling my 1938 Humber 'Gentleman's bicycle' received thro' the post t'other day. I also caught sight, t'other day, of the forerunner of 'Rain Legs' in the Brooks catalogue of about '38 (very nice they are too). So as I said I pondered.......

Would I pack my favourite briar pipe with plenty of shag/ready rub and lashings of ginger beer topped off with a, tank top, deerstalker, oilskin cycling cape and some natty tweeds and brogues........... Or would I choose skiing gear (think of Kirk Douglas's smock top while skiing away from the germans in Norway in the film The Heroes of Telemark - come on youve all seen it).

What would you wear - were you around then :) have you a personal take on it, does any body care, should this be in another forum section :shock:

General cycling gear/clothing tips from the 30s appreciated anyway......
Si

Post by Si »

the finest tweed plusses and matching jacket, argyle socks, a merino wool jumper and and white shirt and tasteful tie. A stout pair of brown cycling brogues and a gentleman's flat cap.

Basically the sort of stuff that is found through out the galleries of:

Frank Patterson site

Indeed, I'd still dress like that for normal riding today if I could get away with it, and if tweed plusses weren't so damned expensive.
wallyone

Post by wallyone »

When I'm touring these days I still wear Tweed plusses. I'm afraid I don't go to Tweed jacket or a tie but definitely a woolen jumper and the white shirt is now a Rohan.
Check out the Eroica section of the Brooks website for some ideas. I have a postcard of a Michelin advert with a rider dressed this way cresting a col with spare tyres across his back and smoking a pipe. Many photographs from early Tour de Frances show smoking as a common activity. I thik I'll pass and stick with the clothes.
Have fun!
wallyone

Post by wallyone »

Sorry. I've just found this link. http://www.eroica.it/ Mountain touring on fixed wheels? Another tradition I'll pass on.
fossil

Post by fossil »

this is a still life water colour of me and stinky brown on our E2E 1938
I'm on the left wearing a notched lapel blazer of homespun maroon tweed, worn with a ine doeskin trouser ( a Bermuda specialty )

and stinky is waering a double breated suit worsted in the increasingly popular Burmashade with the lapel rolled to the lower button

Hope this helps

oh that bing's back such fond memories.........

NURSE.. i need a bed pan :cry:

sorry the pic would not load up will try anotherImage
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

Absolutely splendid, I can see me in some of that gear, erh not! I quite like the idea of plus 4s and a bit of tweed tho'. Certainly instill a slightly different sense of wanting to make progress compared to being encased in Lycra and the latest TdF team top (which I never wear) I guess the trousers have a bit of drag factor about them.

Rapha and 'swrv' seem to have a nice line altho' resulting in an empty wallet (Harris softshell jkt £450!!!!!!) I guess I'l still be looking for a rain cape.

How about this............. not quite 30s but an E2E in this might get some looks :shock:

http://www.dashingtweeds.co.uk/dt/?page_id=43

Ta for your thoughts.
Gotte

Post by Gotte »

Jackboots and a tin hat...
meic

Post by meic »

Rags and no shoes on our feet :)
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

This was made in the early fifties the clothes wouldn't have changed much since before the war.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw
fossil

Post by fossil »

jolly spiffing , what O , Mr Cholmondley-Warner
jawaka

Re: What would you wear in 1938.........?

Post by jawaka »

well now i'd always thought it would so britishly eccentric to ride up alpe d'huez on a pashley princess and now i've got the gear for it and yet more eccentrically; the looks on folks' faces would keep you amused into dotage. i've avoided a pun on gears but i don't think the pashley has them low enough for this (for me).
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I've always been partial to knee breeches, proper ones not overgrown shorts, worn with knitted stockings. Moleskin might be better than corduroy. A collarless whiteshirt, sleeveless v neck "pully" for coolerdays and a tweed jacket with leather elbows - they dont soak up bar top puddles! A silk scarf maybe, Oh, hair! I'd have to get some hair....
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Shorts and an alpacca jacket for the summer! See the Patterson drawings.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

What ho old chap,
I should take my trusty oil skin cape with matching southwester and chaps. Worn by grandad then dad and inherited by me in the 1960s.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

What about Scout uniform? Smokey bear hat removed.
Pa in Lymington 1937.
Attachments
Dad.Lymington055.jpg