Sinwave/dynamo install question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
thecycleclinic

Sinwave/dynamo install question

Post by thecycleclinic »

Well i have a dynamo lights to fit with a sinewave powerbank.

While fitting them is easy i really need the dynamo out put going to a switch mounted under the stem and the two outputs are switchable. One setting lights on. The other output is to the sinewave.

The problem is what switch. Does anyone know a suitable waterproof switch that can be mounted under a stem. Trying to do a neat install.
Brucey

Re: Sinwave/dynamo install question

Post by Brucey »

IME a non-waterproof miniature toggle switch, mounted largely upside down in a housing which is more or less waterproof, will work quite well.

BITD I used a headlight with a metal housing as the 'switchbox' for the electrical system. I ran all the wires into the headlamp shell. I also mounted a toggle switch underneath the headlamp shell, so that it stuck out at about 45 degrees (i.e. such that it would never be the point at which water would either pool (inside the shell) or (outside) drip from).

I used a rubber boot which was meant to make the switch waterproof from the outside. I suppose that it might have done some good, but since it only lasted six months before it perished horribly it is difficult to say. What I can report is that the switch carried on working (without the rubber boot) for at least ten years even though the bike lived outdoors.

IIRC such switches are available in DPDT format (with a mains voltage rating and ~1A current rating) and mount through a 6mm drilled hole. It is therefore possible to have "off", "on battery" and "charge" settings. In combination with the headlamp switch the "charge" position can be used to run the lights at the same time as charging or not. Alternatively a second switch can be used for more elaborate arrangements.

It occurs to me that some A-head stems may be strong enough that they could be used as a 'switchbox housing'. However most of them will also leak water into the stem (past the handlebar clamp) like a bloomin' sieve. If in doubt, leave a tissue inside a potential housing and see if it is still dry after a ride in the rain. I've had a lot of disappointments doing this!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2_i

Post by 2_i »

Look at motorcycle switches on Ebay. You want a high/low one. I normally go for Lucas/Triumph reproduction handlebar switches. There are more choices but it may get you started.
crossy

Post by crossy »

I’ve got my Dynamo and sinwave wired up to a shimano on one Lego brick. I use a muller and busche front switchable light when the light is switched on the light takes what it needs and the rest goes to the sinwave or I switch the light off and all the power goes to the sinwave. I have the small box sinwave that I fitted underneath the stem.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
thecycleclinic

Post by thecycleclinic »

Busch and muller light is exactly what is going on this bike. Therefore toggle switch it will be. Thanks.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I've used a switch like the one Brucey showed for years to switch in a secondary light off the dynamo. It's still working fine despite commuting in all weather for years.
PH

Post by PH »

Watching with interest as it's something I may be considering in the near future.
What's the purpose of the switch? Is the device drawing any power if there's nothing connected to it, or is there the intention to always have something connected?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I have this switch on my B + M set-up:

Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 10.40.56.png

Two indicator lights, push only, and mounts nicely on the stem or bars or an extension bar.

Screenshot 2021-02-21 at 10.45.00.png

Jonathan
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Wow, that's an expensive little box. Should be cheap as chips! I doubt there's more that £10 worth of components in it.

For those of you not afraid to tackle some electronics diy see:
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... c-to-5v-dc
2_i

Post by 2_i »

fausto99 wrote:Wow, that's an expensive little box. Should be cheap as chips! I doubt there's more that £10 worth of components in it.
For those of you not afraid to tackle some electronics diy see:
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... c-to-5v-dc

Since I have some practical knowledge in this area, I cannot resist adding a comment. Certainly choose the DIY route if most of the following applies to you:

--You do not care when you have a device that works in practice. Even if it is after the USB standard fades out, it is still OK.
--You consider a career in electrical engineering in some vague future.
--You do not mind ultimately spending far more money than on a commercial device. After all, it is an investment in your future career. If the career never pans out, no refunds.
--You do not mind damaging a phone or two in the process - after all it is about getting it done.
--You do not mind that after all the time and money spent, you still buy Sinewave or another commercial device.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

You're overcomplicating this chaps.
Buy one of those car usb fag lighter sockets from Poundland. Connect (solder) one leg of dynamo output to the outer and the other to the centre pin and properly insulate. Now plug in one of those phone charger batteries and as you cycle it'll charge.
I switch between lights and usb charger on tour but switch between 1&2 lights normally.
So for a couple of £ you can charge a battery and use that to charge your phone later.....sorted.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Greystoke wrote:You're overcomplicating this chaps.
Buy one of those car usb fag lighter sockets from Poundland. Connect (solder) one leg of dynamo output to the outer and the other to the centre pin and properly insulate. Now plug in one of those phone charger batteries and as you cycle it'll charge.
I switch between lights and usb charger on tour but switch between 1&2 lights normally.
So for a couple of £ you can charge a battery and use that to charge your phone later.....sorted.

I think the op wants something to work from the dynamo ac output and not to have to bother with a dc power pack, which is fair enough. I was just saying that over £100 for a rectifier and USB module in a box is taking the p. That’s the price for early adopters I suppose. I’m sure there’ll be a Chinese copy soon enough.
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I suspect you are correct.
However for those of us who like to 'tinker' what I suggest charges a powerbank fine. Never tried charging my phone direct as couldn't see the point.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

In the past, I've used RCA Phono plugs to make / break connections in the wiring twixt dynamo and lights (there being a need to break the wire, due to the Moulton's separability). I used them mainly 'cos I had several lying around, but have continued to do so, as once shrunk-wrapped, they've proved to be quite reliable & weather-proof.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Greystoke wrote:I suspect you are correct.
However for those of us who like to 'tinker' what I suggest charges a powerbank fine. Never tried charging my phone direct as couldn't see the point.

Whilst not doubting you I'm intrigued as to how one can charge a powerbank from and AC source?