Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
kwackers

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by kwackers »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Giving blood is often an experience.

Giving blood is the only time I ever feel whoozy.

No idea why, the blood doesn't bother me, the needle doesn't bother me.
I just stand up ready for the tea and biscuits and suddenly need to sit down with my head between my knees.

I think it's my brain simply trying to embarrass me, some sort of autonomous reaction.
(TBF, on rare occasions if I've been sat for any length of time and suddenly stand I also feel a bit whoozy)
Debs

Post by Debs »

I donated blood during the 80s.

Never had any problems giving it, but on one occasion i was given an hour off my late shift so i could bicycle over to the donate centre about a mile away, and then bicycle back to work again, all done no problem, but at end of shift when cycling home some 9 miles away i struggled a bit and didn't feel i had anything at all in reserve...

On another occasion i donated blood, the following evening i went out to race the local 10m TT.
I did a personal worst :D

On yet another occasion i cycled the 3 miles to the blood donation place where i padlock & chained my bike to the railings outside.
After the donation i went outside to find i'd forgotten the padlock key, and had to walk 3 miles home to get it, 3 miles back to collect my bike, and cycle back home 3 miles. Oh how i laughed! :cry:
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

When I was a student many years ago I was once offered beer rather than a cup of tea after donating. Well, what sort of student refuses a free beer? Unfortunately I didn't consider that my alcohol tolerance might have been affected....at the piano lesson that followed I was completely pie-eyed. I was too embarrassed to explain and just hoped my teacher would put my flounderings down to lack of practice. :oops: :lol:
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't think talk of blood donation is going to help anyone struggling with a phobia of needles :lol:

Let's remind people that the needles used for vaccination are the smallest, thinnest sort, and you really do not feel anything much at all with them.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:I don't think talk of blood donation is going to help anyone struggling with a phobia of needles :lol:

Let's remind people that the needles used for vaccination are the smallest, thinnest sort, and you really do not feel anything much at all with them.
That's almost certainly true now, but it wasn't so in my more tender years - unless I'm misremembering.

When I had my BCG, back in my early teens (1960s: I think all kids were given it, back then), I distinctly remember asking the nurse - who was a strictly no-nonsense sort of person - "will it hurt?". She laughed and replied "of course not - no worse than a bee-sting". Well, I've been stung by bees and wasps a few times in my life, and I assure you it does hurt. And so did that jab - this is not something I'm likely to have forgotten - not even after all these years...

So things are definitely a lot more comfortable for would-be jabbees, nowadays!

As to needle-phobia - yes, it does exist, and yes it is as irrational as any other phobia. Think of spiders. Almost all spiders we encounter in Britain are totally harmless - but there are many folks who flee shrieking when they meet up with our eight-legged friend in the bath. And plenty of people cannot bear to pick one up in the hand. Indeed, I've been told off for posting a spider photo on a forum without warning!

I doubt if any amount of reassurance that present-day vaccinations are completely painless, will overcome all these phobias...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:
pwa wrote:I don't think talk of blood donation is going to help anyone struggling with a phobia of needles :lol:

That's almost certainly true now, but it wasn't so in my more tender years - unless I'm misremembering.

When I had my BCG, back in my early teens (1960s: I think all kids were given it, back then), I distinctly remember asking the nurse - who was a strictly no-nonsense sort of person - "will it hurt?". She laughed and replied "of course not - no worse than a bee-sting". Well, I've been stung by bees a few times in my life, and I assure you it does hurt. And so did that jab - this is not something I'm likely to have forgotten - not even after all these years...

So things are definitely a lot more comfortable for would-be jabbees, nowadays!

As to needle-phobia - yes, it does exist, and yes it is as irrational as any other phobia. Think of spiders. Almost all spiders we encounter in Britain are totally harmless - but there are many folks who flee shrieking when they meet up with our eight-legged friend in the bath. And plenty of people cannot bear to pick one up in the hand. Indeed, I've been told off for posting a spider photo on a forum without warning!

I doubt if any amount of reassurance that present-day vaccinations are completely painless, will overcome all these phobias...

The BCG was notoriously painful. We still have the scars!

But modern vaccinations are a doddle. They are surprisingly low on pain. Mild discomfort at most. And over with in a few seconds. Those with a phobia of needles need to be helped to focus on that, because their irrational fear is a big obstacle for them.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:Let's remind people that the needles used for vaccination are the smallest, thinnest sort, and you really do not feel anything much at all with them.

That seems unlikely given they need to get the tracking devices down them. ;)
pwa

Post by pwa »

kwackers wrote:
pwa wrote:Let's remind people that the needles used for vaccination are the smallest, thinnest sort, and you really do not feel anything much at all with them.

I forgot about that!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

kwackers wrote:

With quantum tunneling, anything can be achieved.... :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Well my missus is back from her jab and she looks just the same (or if she's a copy she's good enough to keep me happy).
No blacked out cars following her, no drones in the sky I can see.

So far so good.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I've given blood over 60 times and never had a problem with needles.
I had my first flu jab a couple of months ago and never flinched.
I've got my vaccination due tomorrow.
Spoke to our phlebotomist friend yesterday who had her jab last week.
She told us it hurt like hell. :shock:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

fausto copy wrote:She told us it hurt like hell. :shock:

My missus said it felt like a small prick (and she should know).
Syd

Post by Syd »

Exactly this.

Had I not actually watched, in a reflection, I have been convinced they had not injected me.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

She told us it hurt like hell. :shock:
It so does not! ;-) I had mine last Wed. Like syd, I honestly didn't feel anything :-)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Syd

Post by Syd »

fausto copy wrote:She told us it hurt like hell. :shock:

If it did then it must have been operator error.