Who's had the vaccine?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: Who's had the vaccine?

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:
pwa wrote:Let's remind people that the needles used for vaccination are the smallest, thinnest sort, and you really do not feel anything much at all with them.

That seems unlikely given they need to get the tracking devices down them. ;)

You need two injections
http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2021/02/19/2nd-jab-essential-in-order-to-update-microchips-in-1st-jab/ wrote:2ND JAB ESSENTIAL, IN ORDER TO UPDATE MICROCHIPS IN 1ST JAB
This update is regarded as essential in order to fix security vulnerabilities in the embedded software drugs contained in the initial anti-covid vaccinations. It is feared that, otherwise, the microchips health giving medicine might be at risk of contamination by some kind of virus.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Funny, that. As I was dozing off the other day, my entire field of vision suddenly flashed blue, and the following mysterious text appeared in front of my eyes:
A problem has been detected and your mental activity has been shut down to prevent damage to your psyche.

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to re-start your bodily functions.

If this problem persists, check with your Coronavirus supplier for any software updates....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
RickH

Post by RickH »

Syd wrote:
fausto copy wrote:She told us it hurt like hell. :shock:

If it did then it must have been operator error.

Or the needle just happened to hit a nerve ending.

I gave blood for many years (but decided to "retire" after my 75th donation) and even the big needles they use hardly hurt. Just occasionally there has been a really sharp pain. But, with no obvious sign of staff having done anything different or badly, I've just assumed on those occasions they've, literally, touched a nerve.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:The BCG was notoriously painful. We still have the scars!

The BCG was fine. The Heaf test before it, however, hurt like hell — and then didn't react anyway!

pwa wrote:But modern vaccinations are a doddle. They are surprisingly low on pain. Mild discomfort at most. And over with in a few seconds. Those with a phobia of needles need to be helped to focus on that, because their irrational fear is a big obstacle for them.

No, don't focus on the phobia! Warn the medics that you are not good with needles and must not see it uncovered, then look away and focus on something else: a tree or cloud out the window is my usual, or the door or even a light fitting if the room is very inconveniently arranged. Most vaccination needles I've had are tiny things that feel somewhere between a scratch and a sting. They are not enough to make me avoid this.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:The BCG was notoriously painful. We still have the scars!

The BCG was fine. The Heaf test before it, however, hurt like hell — and then didn't react anyway!

pwa wrote:But modern vaccinations are a doddle. They are surprisingly low on pain. Mild discomfort at most. And over with in a few seconds. Those with a phobia of needles need to be helped to focus on that, because their irrational fear is a big obstacle for them.

No, don't focus on the phobia! Warn the medics that you are not good with needles and must not see it uncovered, then look away and focus on something else: a tree or cloud out the window is my usual, or the door or even a light fitting if the room is very inconveniently arranged. Most vaccination needles I've had are tiny things that feel somewhere between a scratch and a sting. They are not enough to make me avoid this.

I can see your irrational aversion to needles is like mine. We know it is daft but we can't deal with it just through logic. Our aversion is more primal than that, and yes, we do acquire little tricks to quell the panic. My own is to talk, and I ask the person with the needle to get it done as quickly as possible. If they do that it usually goes alright.

Interestingly, I once cut the palm of one hand quite badly and went to have it stitched. I had to wait hours in A&E before being attended to, and by the time they came at me with a needle loaded with local anaesthetic I was so relieved to be close to being able to go home that I didn't mind the jab or the subsequent stitching and chatted happily throughout.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:I can see your irrational aversion to needles is like mine.

Sadly, mine is more learned than irrational. A medic from my youth has a lot he should answer for. And then, in a cruel twist, I get stuck with needles at least twice a year (and sometimes it has been twice a month) to deal with my illness.

But yes, as you say, "little tricks to quell the panic" can go a long way.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

My mother's boyfriend has to get injections in his eyeballs periodically --- :shock:
I am here. Where are you?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

mjr wrote:Sadly, mine is more learned than irrational. A medic from my youth has a lot he should answer for. And then, in a cruel twist, I get stuck with needles at least twice a year (and sometimes it has been twice a month) to deal with my illness.

When I was a kid my parents wouldn't buy toothbrushes (or toothpaste) so needless to say I ended up with more than my fair share of fillings.
So I'd go to the dentists for one and he would give me the injection to numb up and I had the time it took him to walk to his bench and back with his instruments for it to take effect.
Needless to say the pain was excruciating, whether deliberate or because he was just crap who's to say. It would start to numb up in time to stop the throbbing on the bus home.

This meant as a young adult whenever I went to the dentists I would have palpations and break into a cold sweat.
Eventually I got over it after a few "good" treatments, but I still remember the experience vividly.

On the plus side I made sure neither of my kids needed fillings whilst they were under my care and afaik neither of them have had any since they left.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Afternoon all, Slightly off topic I know :wink: , but what I'd love to know why adult staff in schools have not been prioritzed for the jag before they have to accept normality in their workplace?
As my daughter texted to me last night why should she have to be exposed to 60 families minimum, yet is barred from having time with her only two relatives!
Working as a HLTA she covers two classes so even if she dodges every other class in school she still is exposed to a substantial risk!
Being asthmatic, a coeliac and coupled with being no spring chicken she would certain feel safer if she got jagged.
Surely it isn't beyond reason to bring in a vaccine process PDQ? MM
pwa

Post by pwa »

merseymouth wrote:Afternoon all, Slightly off topic I know :wink: , but what I'd love to know why adult staff in schools have not been prioritzed for the jag before they have to accept normality in their workplace?
As my daughter texted to me last night why should she have to be exposed to 60 families minimum, yet is barred from having time with her only two relatives!
Working as a HLTA she covers two classes so even if she dodges every other class in school she still is exposed to a substantial risk!
Being asthmatic, a coeliac and coupled with being no spring chicken she would certain feel safer if she got jagged.

In her case, yes I agree that someone with health issues working in such an exposed position with young children would merit prioritisation. But for secondary school teachers I see no reason why they should be prioritised over someone who works in Tesco. And nobody is campaigning for supermarket personnel to be prioritised.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

kwackers wrote:

My missus said it felt like a small prick (and she should know).

It would appear the moderators removed my follow on post to the above response.
"And it was done in the best possible taste". :?
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

fausto copy wrote:
kwackers wrote:

My missus said it felt like a small prick (and she should know).

It would appear the moderators removed my follow on post to the above response.
"And it was done in the best possible taste". :?

Weird, I mean she does quite a bit of sewing and often pricks herself.
No idea why the mods would object. ;)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pwa wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Afternoon all, Slightly off topic I know :wink: , but what I'd love to know why adult staff in schools have not been prioritzed for the jag before they have to accept normality in their workplace?

In her case, yes I agree that someone with health issues working in such an exposed position with young children would merit prioritisation. But for secondary school teachers I see no reason why they should be prioritised over someone who works in Tesco. And nobody is campaigning for supermarket personnel to be prioritised.

I have seen several campaigns re supermarket staff being prioritised. But you are right: it doesn’t seem very widespread.
John
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

All teachers should get vaccinated 3 weeks before classes resume -- it's just not fair for them to be left with 60 families kids absolutely crawling with virus. Look at how the transmission has come down since the kids were off and the very first thing the government want to do is put all the kids back in together again. I'd wait till everyone over 35 is jabbed.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pwa wrote:I don't think talk of blood donation is going to help anyone struggling with a phobia of needles

Let's remind people that the needles used for vaccination are the smallest, thinnest sort, and you really do not feel anything much at all with them.

I was about to join in with a lifetime's experience of being on the other end of the syringe, but it might be better in another thread!

And both of the recurrent jokes have already been invoked. : - )

Jonathan (a legalised vampire)