Shoe recommendations for toeclips

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
heron8888

Shoe recommendations for toeclips

Post by heron8888 »

Could anybody reccomend, good cycling shoes, for use with toeclips? the slimmer metal type mks I think. I got a pair of, adidas cycling shoes, but they dont fit in well at all. Old shimano ones nearly worn out after 10 years!
byegad

Post by byegad »

I used some cheap trainers from British home stores for several years. The soles were hard enough for cycling and soft enough to stroll about in.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I've been using a pair of Shimano MT41 for the past 6 months. I've found them to be excellent. Very comfortable, easy to use with the toeclips and fine for walking about on too. They have good ventilation so they're very comfy in the heat, and I've had no issues in the cold either with thicker socks on.

The Exustar Stelvio seem to be getting good reviews too. Here's a link to a review by CTCs very own Chris Juden:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/viewindex.as ... sReviewCTC
E.C.Ryder

Post by E.C.Ryder »

What about the more traditional leather cycling shoe from Reynolds, they have a website and I`m sure a Google search will find it for you.
Graham

Post by Graham »

ColinandAlly wrote:The Exustar Stelvio seem to be getting good reviews too. Here's a link to a review by CTCs very own Chris Juden:

Yeah but wait until you can get the updated version ( with a leather tongue and less chunky soles ) as mentioned towards the end of this topic.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've found the basic Shimano MTB shoes not too bad. However, you need to watch out for deep ridges in the soles catching on the pedals when you are stopping, and wide feet (like mine) may catch on a quill, so track or platform pedals are better.
spanner1718

Post by spanner1718 »

I have used these squash trainers for many years now,they are not too bulky, and great if you want to walk anywhere also the "bumper" bit at the front stops your toes from getting pinched in the clips when climbing hills out of the saddle.Best bit is you can get them for between £15-£20.Image
james01

Post by james01 »

As above, you can do better & pay less by carefully selecting non-cycling shoes from cheap stores. I found a pair of real leather-upper trainers with stiff, smooth soles for £11.99, they were better than a Shimano pair which cost 3 times as much.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Generally, cycling shoes do have an advantage though. You want shoes that will not flex when pressed down on a pedal, because then you can spread the pedalling load across your soles. Soft soles will put pressure on the contact points on the pedal (and may be cut up by the pedal - one friend developed slots in his trainers after a lot of pedalling!)

For racing, stiffness is the watchword. For touring and general riding, some flex may help walking. In particular, upward flex is useful for this reason, and some shoes flex up but not down to get the best of both worlds.
heron8888

Post by heron8888 »

thankyou for your replies, very interesting, I think I will find a shop, stocking shimano mtb shoes, and try them,as my previous shimanos were spot on, the stelvios look quite narrow
and I cant risk another mail order pair, as I have quite a collection I dont like!
661-Pete-oldversion

Post by 661-Pete-oldversion »

I've had for some years a pair of very rigid trainer-type shoes one of the Specialized BG range - can't tell you the exact model though, nor whether they're still available. They are lace-up with a black suede finish at the front and very comfortable although a bit on the heavy side. Perfectly OK for reasonable walking in (though I wouldn't go mountain-climbing)! The soles are drilled for cleats (not sure which type) but you don't have to fit any.

Of course, in the old days we could get shoe plates to nail to our leather-soled shoes for use with toeclips. Don't suppose those exist anymore...
Graham

Post by Graham »

Graham wrote:
ColinandAlly wrote:The Exustar Stelvio seem to be getting good reviews too. Here's a link to a review by CTCs very own Chris Juden:

Yeah but wait until you can get the updated version ( with a leather tongue and less chunky soles ) as mentioned towards the end of this topic.

Latest from Stelvio Importers/Distributors . . . .

Subject: Re: Upgraded stelvio cycle touring shoes
Date: Mon, January 5, 2009 11:00 am
To: mbadmin@ctc.org.uk
Priority: Normal

Hi

Should be available in around 8 weeks from the usual stockists. If you need
a list, please let us know.
You can buy them on line from www.spacycles.com or www.etailsport.com

Regards
RSI

. . . . and www.bikeplus.co.uk . . . . of course !