First touring bike - Raleigh Royal?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tinribs

First touring bike - Raleigh Royal?

Post by tinribs »

Hi there

Going to invest in a new touring bike soon, am currently deciding between Revolution Country Traveller or Dawes Horizon, both of which I have read loads about on the forum. However, I have also noticed that the Raleigh Royal 2008 has a steel frame and I've seen one for £310. Does anyone have any experience of this bike in particular?

Any info appreciated

Cheers
Cyclefrance

Post by Cyclefrance »

I bought a Specialized Tricross this year using the Cyclescheme to save me half the cost - great bike that's light for unloaded work, and strong enough for touring (it has pannier rack mounting points front and rear)
TerryJ

Post by TerryJ »

Two riders at least have these in our club. They are good. I went on a tour of the highlands alongside one last summer, and the rider looked pleased with it. It carried the camping load well and was lighter than mine.
Of course , if you pay more you get shinier parts, but they do not necessarily work better and the weight is not very relevant for touring within reason.
TerryJ

Post by TerryJ »

referring to the raleigh royal, of course.

And shinier parts is also referring to the bike.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I've a Specliazed Tricross, which I used for touring in 2007 and 2008. I wouldn't recommend it for touring, the list of isues is too great
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

Cheers for all the advice

I decided to go with the Royal in the end as the price seemed a good deal. Rides nicely.
JC4LAB

Post by JC4LAB »

[quote="tinribs"]Cheers for all the advice

I decided to go with the Royal in the end as the price seemed a good deal. Rides nicely.[/quote

Folders apart I have been loyal to Raleigh for years..Once they left Nottiungham then quality obviously then came into question.as this may have been compromisaed to keep the price low..I have a Pionerr trail made in Taiwan.Slackish brakes and not the best tyres but for the price a pure bargain and I guess the raleigh Royal is the same..but what a great price....
hewittj

Post by hewittj »

Hi there

Ive been trying to find a Raleigh Royal at a local bike shop to test ride and cant seem to find one anywhere. Im in London but wondered where it was that you bought your bike from?

Cheers
Justin
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

the bikefactory are selling for £310 until 31/1/9 with £60 postage.

http://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/product ... ctid=46917
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

Hi

Yes I got it from The Bike Factory in Chester, I picked it up but I'm sure at the time postage was about 14quid, 60 seems a bit steep. I think it's only the 55in frame that is 310. Still very pleased with it so far, would certainly recommend it for the price.
hondated

Another..

Post by hondated »

vote for the Royale. I had one for years and loved it. Definitely good value for money.