can't cycle because of the snow and ice

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
benoit

can't cycle because of the snow and ice

Post by benoit »

Hi,
Well because of the snow and the ice on the cycle paths, I haven't cycled for the past 3 days... and well it feels really weird !
I have slick tyres, so can't really give it a try.

What about you ? Do cycle on the snow ?
I guess if you have a MTB, you can...

Ben
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

All depends whether it is 'freezing' or not. Some snow (fresh fall) and so on might be ok, some after three nights of a bit of thaw then -5 might not. If in doubt, dont :) There's a thread on here somewhere re 'studded tyres'.......
Biscuit

Post by Biscuit »

Si

Post by Si »

the thing about ice tyres is this: once you've laid out your hard earned on buying them, every time you try to go out with them on the ice the weather instantly warms up and the ice'n'snow turns to slush.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Hi Ben it all depends;
I won't cycle on "paths" precisely for the reason they are not treated in anyway.
As my commute is mostly A6 all the way it is usually being gritted by the time I am leaving for work.

Fresh, unfrozen snow is not too difficult if you approach it with commonsense, ie do not change direction suddenly, do not bend it over on bends, do not brake sharply etc.

Worst is ridged snow that has begun to freeze, cos it is nigh on impossible to ride through.

Then of course there are the idiots who spray slushy horrid snow all over you as they overtake carelessly.

I do not necessarily think MTBs are better in soft snow,; one night shift commute (as the snow was falling) I overtook a bloke on MTB who was really struggling whilst I was coping quite well on narrow road tyres. I am sure my thin tyres were cutting through the snow to the road surface below, whereas his fat, soft tyres were skating over the top surface of the snow.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Robzere31

Post by Robzere31 »

Well I do have a MB, but with slick road tyres on, as I mainly do road work now.
As long as your careful I don't think snow & ice is a problem, just use common sense when cornering & changing direction.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've been doing my usual five-mile commute in Hertfordshire. Needs a bit of care but not too bad.
patricktaylor

Post by patricktaylor »

I sure cycle on snow and ice, but I switch from my road bike to my knobbly-tyred mountain bike with the tyre pressure reduced. So I'm creeping along in carpet slippers instead of walking tall in leather shoes.

I agree with eileithyia's comment about struggling through deep snow with thick tyres. But I haven't come across thick snow recently - just thin crusty snow and hard ice. The variety of surface textures on lanes and tracks has made cycling very interesting over the past few days. And I don't hesitate to get off and walk if the surface looks too risky. It's all part of the winter fun.
drossall

Post by drossall »

It's difficult to know how to look at risk. If you switch to a car, for example, you're certainly increasing danger; when would there be more (serious) casualties on ice - if everyone went by car, or if everyone went by bike? A club mate once got through to Royston, 15+ miles away, when cars couldn't.

Just falling off a bike when you're already going carefully owing to the conditions probably isn't that risky. It's actually felt safer at times these last few days because motorists have, in general, been going so carefully. Whether that will continue if the cold snap goes on... OTOH putting yourself in the way of drivers who are struggling to control their vehicles because of the conditions may not be the wisest thing. And when we're told not to make unnecessary journeys, there's no obvious reason why that wouldn't apply to bikes as well as cars.

I certainly feel that attitudes have changed over the thirty years I've been riding. I've been out on winter club runs on ice - I remember running over a club mate's back wheel when he fell off. He wasn't happy, but only the wheel was hurt. Now, would we cancel? And I've got photos of myself and friends riding up into the Peak District in snow.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Drossall, I agree with most of what you say. Unfortunately I had one or two come a bit too close when I was coping with ice on Tuesday.

But am always amused by the "travel only if necessary" comments we are issued with, just what is necessary....?

I can just imagine ringing to work saying travel office have said do not travel, and am sure some poor woman on delivery suite would not be amused if none of us turned up to work!!!! :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Si wrote:the thing about ice tyres is this: once you've laid out your hard earned on buying them, every time you try to go out with them on the ice the weather instantly warms up and the ice'n'snow turns to slush.

I thought that was how they worked
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[smug git] Faired recumbent Trike[/smug git]

Superb for this weather, and if snowy then (as above) knobbly tyres with lower pressure

Not mine - but an example....
EdinburghFixed

Post by EdinburghFixed »

We switched from NCN1 to the A90 when it got icy last year, precisely because the path is so badly maintained / treated.

Having realised how much faster it is to ride on dual carriageway, both my girlfriend and I have stopped using NCN1 altogether. You also get badgered *much* less by motorists when they've got a second lane to move into.

When it's very icy, we drive, but in just "bad" conditions I find that the arterial routes are still ok.

We both ride skinny tyres (23/25's) for what it's worth.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Cunobelin wrote:[smug git] Faired recumbent Trike[/smug git]

Superb for this weather, and if snowy then (as above) knobbly tyres with lower pressure

Not mine - but an example....

Yup Two Wheels good, Three Wheels way better in snow and ice. I'm getting out only a little less often at the moment than I do in the summer.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

byegad wrote:Yup Two Wheels good, Three Wheels way better in snow and ice.
Seconded :) Cunoblin's fairing would have come in handy the other night though: -7degC just outside our house. I thought some of the usual frost pockets felt cold!
"42"