ClappedOut

Re: Getting a bike for my daughter at 13

Post by ClappedOut »

Well done
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

its me again :D

I was told there is a huge shortage and backlog of bike orders due to covid.

I went to all the independent bike shops in hull, yorkshire (where I live) and I only liked 2 MT bikes and a trek hybrid, which are

Van wolf - £325

https://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/product/m ... ADIOACTIVE

coyote (this shop dont have a website, so i googled this) - £275

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/mountain/ ... csEALw_wcB

£475 - trek hybrid (I am just worried about the trek) as it might get too much attention or stolen, as she is only 12 going on 13
https://www.kenellerkercycles.co.uk/m1b ... _Disc_2021

There was a GT hybrid with all the same shimano brakes and disc brakes at £429

and good ol carrera from halfords at £350

she doesnt want an aldi bike :(
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Check locally as the police do free bicycle register scheme from time to time and it can be covered on house insurance.

Scallies & Druggies will steal anything so a quality lock in a public place will lower this risk.
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

Would you know anything about the quality of those bikes

The coyote, GT and the van wolf ?

They looked ok to me
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

There is always an issue with children buying a bicycle that is suitable, affordable as my 13 yr old daughter is growing rapidly taller and mature to not throw bike down and lock it up- I would choose trek.

However whatever bike, I would be asking bike shop questions like- if it needs a service or adjustment what are the costs.

The bikes other than trek are budget and less likely to get pinched as resale value lot less.

If your daughter wanted rides at weekend with her Dad out and about the trek is a better bike.

But my 9yr old is riding a serviced by me £200 retail and £40 second hand jump bike, reason is he will scratch,drop and generally be a 9 yr old.
My son wouldn't get a trek as I would be annoyed at treatment he would give it.

So my advice is you want a bike that your daughter can enjoy without recriminations if scratches with support from local bike shop.

Most bikes have a free first service as things need adjustment after first use.

What I'm getting at is a bicycle the child will enjoy and a situation whole family are happy with.

The cheaper bike will likely want tyres within 2 years, but will your daughter have grown and would you be happy carefree enjoyment v a bike you said you have worries about theft etc.
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

My thoughts are thus

Since she is still a child as u rightly mentioned. I was thinking a budget bike for now and maybe when more mature then something else

As she would hardly use it and wont go riding in winter. As it's just occasionally
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Ehi wrote: 25 May 2021, 4:16am My thoughts are thus

Since she is still a child as u rightly mentioned. I was thinking a budget bike for now and maybe when more mature then something else

As she would hardly use it and wont go riding in winter. As it's just occasionally
Fully understand sounds like the bikes use will be ridden at very most 8- 15 miles a week to park, mates house etc

I would suggest is cheap mountain bike tyres are soft and can attract thorns etc, tyre sealant fitted will not seal permanently-but a thorn can be ridden home and dealt with at home.

I get my son to check his tyres when we put bike away and as yet always got home to repair the puncture
Also a cheap floor pump and some wet lube for chain. Asda do glue free tyre patches for puncture repair are easier.

👍
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

I finally got a van wolf MTB bike. They are building it and said I should come for it tomorrow. Something like this but silver. I wanted to get her a tiger MTB which had hydraulic brakes, but she didnt like the colour

https://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/product/m ... 8/P2-VW008

I had to talk her out of getting a cheap bike and the carrera, as the halfords BIKES which she wanted was out of stock as their website (which you pre-order) seemed to have old stock as the 2020 bikes were out of stock and obviously none for 2021.

I also preferred the way the van wolf bikes cable was inbuilt rather than exposed as with the halfords.

I was unable to drop the 2nd (and smaller) back seat of my car. I was asked to come back tomorrow to see if it fits into the car, its a 2012 honda accord salon. I will be posting another thread about bike carriers, as I also went to halfords to check prices
Ehi

Post by Ehi »

ready for next week saturday's visit