Bikes in Room - UK Hotels - Which?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Possibly planning a short Travelodge tour in a week or two. I say Travelodge because I know they let you take your bike into your room.

I was wondering if any of the other budget chains also allow you (preferably by policy, not goodwill) to do this.

Premier Inn, Best Western, etc?
rotavator

Re: Bikes in Room - UK Hotels - Which?

Post by rotavator »

Premier Inn allows you to take your bike into your room. The one at Elgin asked me to put it in a store room which was also fine.
L+1

Post by L+1 »

Almost all Premier Inns will - they have a page on their website telling how bike friendly they are. Sometimes the staff on reception will apologise that they don’t have a secure lock up and you’ll ‘have’ to take your bike up to your room!
The only ones we’ve been in which didn’t allow bikes into the room were Fort William - maybe most bikes are too muddy? - and Glasgow Buchanan Galleries - a tower block with only 2 small lifts. Both had secure locking stores instead apparently. As it happened we were just enquiring.
If you are ever in Glasgow I would recommend the City Centre South or Charing Cross PIs instead.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I’ve stayed in numerous UK hotels covering a range of budgets and never had a problem with any around keeping a bike in our room.

Only place, worldwide, I have ever had a minor issue was at a hotel in Los Gigantes, Tenerife. They didn’t want bikes in rooms but, after a short discussion, let us use a seldom utilised storage room just off the main foyer.
PH

Post by PH »

Premier Inn have a policy
We’re proud to say that every one of our hotels are bike friendly. Whether you want to keep your bike in your room or have it stored away safely, the choice is yours.
https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/why/bike-friendly.html
Though when we had this subject a few weeks ago, someone pointed out it didn't apply to the Premier Inn Hub chain.

I used to think Travelodge also had a policy, after having no issue with twenty or so in the last few years, then last year one in Oxford was reluctant to let me bring it inside. I emailed a complaint, only to be told it was at the managers discretion and advising I ring before booking.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for the replies. I'll expand my search.

Trying to plot a route I keep finding one hotel that is silly money.

It's hardly a replacement for my normal 5 to 6 months on the road, but will make a welcome change from day rides.
PH

Post by PH »

simonhill wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:05am Thanks for the replies. I'll expand my search.

It's hardly a replacement for my normal 5 to 6 months on the road, but will make a welcome change from day rides.
Friday and Saturday nights can be busy and expensive, and in some locations also noisy, I try and avoid them. I have a four night tour coming up at the end of the month, the Sun night in Edinburgh is £32, I thought I might add the Sat night but that was £142!
Some YHA's are offering private rooms and they don't hike the price at weekends, I have one for £36 (Inc CUK discount)
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

PH wrote:
simonhill wrote: 2 Jun 2021, 8:05am Thanks for the replies. I'll expand my search.

Friday and Saturday nights can be busy and expensive, and in some locations also noisy, I try and avoid them. I have a four night tour coming up at the end of the month, the Sun night in Edinburgh is £32, I thought I might add the Sat night but that was £142!
Some YHA's are offering private rooms and they don't hike the price at weekends, I have one for £36 (Inc CUK discount)
Caveat emptor, I'd booked a holiday using YHAs, unfortunately they canned it - apparently they have a group booking system and an individual booking system, a group had fully booked the hostel so we had a booking but no room.

To sort this you have to go online and arrange alternative dates or cancel. They then have the cheek to charge you a cancellation fee.

Will join the cheaper HI in future, still like to stay in well run DJH and Danhostel.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

When I am considering a tour, I ask on cycle.travel's linked hotel booking broker whether hotels accept bikes in rooms or offer other secure parking. The answer is made public on the linked page.

Do any of the booking sites let you search for bike parking yet? I sometimes ask in feedback forms for it to be added, but that is shouting into wells.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
climo

Post by climo »

Airbnb. Many houses have garages or secure gardens. Shameless plug, we do AirBnb in Warminster and have secure storage.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Last week, all in Premier Inns.

Home - Witney - Stratford upon Avon - Hereford - Oswestry - Shrewsbury - Redditch - home.

No problems. Staff don't even bat an eyelid. I did wait outside for a few minutes in Oswestry as I ridden 2 hours in rain and dripped by the front door.

I always say, just walk in with your bike like it's a normal everyday occurrence.

I think they all have an attached restaurant to one degree or another. And a lot also had supermarkets within walking distance for cheaper evening food and breakfast provisions every day.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

All OK.

Thetford Travelodge - took bike in lift up to reception on first floor. Was offered to use storeroom, but I preferred in room. Room changed to same floor, heavy (fire) doors held open to help me take my bike there.

Norwich Central Travelodge - took bike into reception area. Had chat to receptionist about cycling, no mention of bike. Just took it to room after checking in.

Stowmarket Best Western - was offered to lock it in conference room (not used due to Covid). Saved me getting it up difficult stairs in the 16th C part of the building I was in.

Much as everyone above has said - no problem. To be honest, I was quite surprised to see such a relaxed attitude in the UK. Full marks to budget hotels. Also, I made a point in filling in the post stay surveys and praising staff and bike friendly nature of the hotels.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I just returned from a mini tour staying in Premier Inns each night. The bikes stayed with us in the room and overall I found the staff to be reassuringly apathetic to wheeling bikes through the hotel. On the first night I explained at check in that we had bikes, the lady didn’t seem to care much, so after that we just wheeled them straight through.

It’s handy to have a no-fuss option although I found the Guildford hotel a bit run down