JOGLE Accommodation

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Ishiwata Fan

JOGLE Accommodation

Post by Ishiwata Fan »

Does anyone know how to find the cheapest accommodation for JOGLE? I’ve looked at some places online and I would be totalling nearly £1k on accommodation for 2-3 Weeks . Is this unavoidable or could I get this down to just a couple hundred quid?

Currently weighing this up against carrying a tent with me.

Thanks!
Paulatic

Re: JOGLE Accommodation

Post by Paulatic »

I think you need to up your budget :D
You can’t even get 21 campsites for £200.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Ishiwata Fan

Post by Ishiwata Fan »

Cheers. Yeah I am more than willing to splash out on this - been dreaming of a JOGLE for ages :D . Never booked accommodation for this long before lol.

Will get on the price comparison sites ASAP.
nickyboy

Post by nickyboy »

That pricing doesn't sound out of the way

Ours is coming in at about £40 per person per night based mainly on two sharing. Mixture of B&Bs, small hotels, Premier Inns
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Yeah, £1000 is about right, especially spread over 2-3 weeks. To get it cheaper, you need to go faster! ;-)

Depends where you're staying and when; you can sometimes find special offers on places like Premier Inn / Holiday Inn - pre-Covid they depended an awful lot on business travel and then were often dead at weekends so you could sometimes find very cheap offers for Friday nights. The opposite for smarter places which do most of their business at weekends (things like weddings, couples staying etc) but are then very quiet during the week.

Leaving it to the absolute last minute has some benefits too. I got a hotel room in Harrogate looking out over the start/finish line of the World Road Race Champs for £35 by booking it on the day. Before the event, hotel rooms had been several hundred pounds per night and up but then as the weather was so appalling, loads of people had cancelled and the hotels were faced with empty rooms so they were knocking them out super cheap.

Travelling alone is often more expensive too, a lot of rooms have a single supplement so that needs factoring in.

Edit: you could also try something like this: https://www.warmshowers.org/ - it's kind of like a couch-surfing organisation for cycle tourists!
Last edited by rareposter on 7 Jun 2021, 1:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

£1000 sounds pretty good to me. The only way you will get much lower without camping, is relying on youth hostels, bunk houses, and farms. If you can make a youth hostel / bunk house every night & take the cheapest bunk, you're still around £300 - 350 total, and I don't think there is enough coverage, even including independent places & farms.

Using cheapest possible solutions, you might be able to get it down to £500. Sometimes, in rural areas, there is the occasional farm that doesn't advertise, but just sticks a sign up by the road. I imagine there are fewer and fewer of those these days. You could also try some stuff like Facebook marketplace, and community websites.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

"Currently weighing this up against carrying a tent with me."
I have done a lot of backpacking, but carrying a tent on a bike along with all the other gear seems to be too much of an added load. That, plus having to rise out of the tent and pack the gear in the morning if it has been raining - or maybe frosty - and everything is soaking wet, would in my consideration, take all the fun out of the adventure.
Others have suggested Booking.com as a means to find B&B's.
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

just wondering when you were thinking of starting this epic tour and how do you expect to return to your start point. cheers T
Ishiwata Fan

Post by Ishiwata Fan »

newbootclimbco wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 5:32pm just wondering when you were thinking of starting this epic tour and how do you expect to return to your start point. cheers T
I live down south and will get the train back from Penzance (wanting to get the longer journey up to JOG done first). Training now to do this in September (covid permitting).
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

i did LEJOG back in 2007 with a cycling buddy i managed to book B and Bs but mainly Hostels for our 16 day tour that was before AIRnB ,but it was an ordeal in it self nearly as bad as cycling the route.We still had to get home. so a 17 hour train journey to London then to Dorset was no fun. I fancied doing JoGLE in september too and looking at train routes i could get a train from Bristol to Edinburgh then onto Thurso just have to figure my way from Bournemouth to Bristol. I was also thinking of camping but accept it would probably be a slower return home but as i'm retired i have plenty of time. Get yourself a decent saddle ,cheers T
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

newbootclimbco wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 11:05am i could get a train from Bristol to Edinburgh then onto Thurso just have to figure my way from Bournemouth to Bristol. I was also thinking of camping but accept it would probably be a slower return home but as i'm retired i have plenty of time. Get yourself a decent saddle ,cheers T
If you can't get a lift to bristol, I'd just get a Bournemouth to Birmingham int service and pick up an Edi service there (it's much easier to change there than new street).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ishiwata Fan wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 12:50pm Does anyone know how to find the cheapest accommodation for JOGLE? I’ve looked at some places online and I would be totalling nearly £1k on accommodation for 2-3 Weeks . Is this unavoidable or could I get this down to just a couple hundred quid?

Currently weighing this up against carrying a tent with me.

Thanks!
Yes. Warmshowers. https://www.warmshowers.org/
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker