Fish 'n' Chips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Blondie

Re: Fish 'n' Chips

Post by Blondie »

freeflow wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 6:45pm I tend to find fish and chip shop portion sizes to be enormous, even when you ask for the small portions. I had a portion of chips in Oundle early on Saturday evening whilst riding an Audax. I had to throw more than half of them away despite offering them around to other audaxers.
My wife and I tend to get one portion between two of us. It’s more than enough.
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Hellhound wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 8:42am
Govnor wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 9:48pm Bread and dripping is champion as well, but thing of past.
Back in the 80/90s when I played Pool in the local pub leagues,bread and dripping was always part of the buffet and always the first plates to empty.It was proper Beef dripping then.
A local Butchers sells dripping sandwiches but it's Pork dripping.
Pool, darts etc all back in the day with a haze of smoke in the air, smoking ban killed pubs in my opinion, first time I thought about second hand smoke was when that fellow Roy Castle died- the Guinness world records chap and musician.

Different time now I guess, the other day someone got buttock pinched by the way I talk- nowt unpleasant like from me. Miss Beef dripping and toast.

Can't see much chance of that as Doris has gone all George Foreman on us and it varies from different to a crime against food at the moment.

Chip shops a cultural thing, I like all the different fish as long as fresh, My Doris and I when courting would share a bag of chips.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Blondie wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 3:59pm
freeflow wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 6:45pm I tend to find fish and chip shop portion sizes to be enormous, even when you ask for the small portions. I had a portion of chips in Oundle early on Saturday evening whilst riding an Audax. I had to throw more than half of them away despite offering them around to other audaxers.
My wife and I tend to get one portion between two of us. It’s more than enough.
We get one between 4 (albeit a large between 4)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

francovendee wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 7:46am One of the things I miss is fish and chips, haddock in preference.
To satisfy my craving we bought a deep fat fryer and found a really nice batter recipe.
I was amazed how well it turned out, really delicious.
French friends who've visited the UK and tasted fish and chips all love them.
I've since discovered there's a van selling fish and chips in Les Sables- d'Olonne .
We've cycled past numerous time and always been put of trying some by the long queue.
Fish an chips, great British nosh :) :)
Les Sables d'Olonne? Oh what memories of family holidays I have from there. We had one last trip there a good few years since we stopped going there. It's funny that I remembered as being different to that last trip. It seemed to have more rocky sections to the beach than I remembered it having. It's a shame I kind of didn't like it as much.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Back in my Leeds university days the hike soc used to stop at Settle on the way to the lakes. They parked the minibus down the hill in a big carpark near a petrol station. We then all piled out and into the chippy. The veggie or vegan types went to the nearest chippy that cooked in veg oil. Those of us who liked good chips went up the hill to the one in the square area that cooked in animal fats. Their fish and chips simply had a flavour the veg oil chippy couldn't get. Mmmmm!!!!!
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:37am Back in my Leeds university days the hike soc used to stop at Settle on the way to the lakes. They parked the minibus down the hill in a big carpark near a petrol station. We then all piled out and into the chippy. The veggie or vegan types went to the nearest chippy that cooked in veg oil. Those of us who liked good chips went up the hill to the one in the square area that cooked in animal fats. Their fish and chips simply had a flavour the veg oil chippy couldn't get. Mmmmm!!!!!
Proper food
Watching rate my takeaway on YouTube and Danny top lad, drooling at the food.

Here it's punishment Time until Friday evening and a sirloin steak, chips, mushroom's and pepper Corn sauce.

This healthy eating lark seems to be permanently hungry.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:33am
francovendee wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 7:46am One of the things I miss is fish and chips, haddock in preference.
To satisfy my craving we bought a deep fat fryer and found a really nice batter recipe.
I was amazed how well it turned out, really delicious.
French friends who've visited the UK and tasted fish and chips all love them.
I've since discovered there's a van selling fish and chips in Les Sables- d'Olonne .
We've cycled past numerous time and always been put of trying some by the long queue.
Fish an chips, great British nosh :) :)
Les Sables d'Olonne? Oh what memories of family holidays I have from there. We had one last trip there a good few years since we stopped going there. It's funny that I remembered as being different to that last trip. It seemed to have more rocky sections to the beach than I remembered it having. It's a shame I kind of didn't like it as much.
We first visited 30 years ago and at the time it seemed slightly neglected with building, needing at least a coat of paint. It's now very up market and often very busy. We prefer it as it was.
There is a rocky coast but to the north and you have to cross the channel between Les Sables and La Chaume.
We prefer this side as it was the area where the fishermen lived in small cottages. Not many fishermen nowadays as many houses have been bought by wealthy Parisians. Le changement, c'est la vie. :(
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 12:37am Back in my Leeds university days the hike soc used to stop at Settle on the way to the lakes. They parked the minibus down the hill in a big carpark near a petrol station. We then all piled out and into the chippy. The veggie or vegan types went to the nearest chippy that cooked in veg oil. Those of us who liked good chips went up the hill to the one in the square area that cooked in animal fats. Their fish and chips simply had a flavour the veg oil chippy couldn't get. Mmmmm!!!!!
It's not just the meaty flavour - you can cook *much* hotter in dripping than in veg oil. And that fundamentally affects how the batter is cooked, and the seepage of the fats into the meal.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.