Is this charity ride doable by a fit-less newbie?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

AND

if you have the time to snap and go, dont forget your camera! :lol:

Mary
cathnmike

Post by cathnmike »

Thanks again folks - that link about clothing is great and I have to admit I do like the shopping aspect of all this ... Now starting on Simon Doughty's book which arrived this morning and seems full of sound advice - as of course is this Forum - I'll definitely keep posting.

Once I find out how I can upload a photo to my profile I will put one on of after the first spinning class - hopefully it can only get better! :oops:

Thanks again for the help.

Cath.
cathnmike

Post by cathnmike »

Just to say that I ordered some cold-weather clothing from swrve.co.uk - thanks for that link, Dee Jay. Ordered yesterday at about 4pm and arrived this morning! Not cheap, but really good quality.

I did my second spinning class last night - I think I overdid the heart-rate as I felt really ill at one point - need to remember it's four years since I last exercised, and not only am I heavier and unfit, I'm four years older!

I'll get there, though. Oh and yes Manx Cat, thanks for the reminder about the camera. I've started already so when I'm fit and slim I'll remind myself of how far I've come - the current photos (after spinning) are not terribly flattering!!
mrs doubtfire

Post by mrs doubtfire »

Hello.84 miles sounds like just a little further than The Great Yorkshire Bike Ride.Wetherby to Filey. You can do it. It is not a race it's a day out on a bike.Get some training in don't hurt yourself and the stamina will build up.On the day you will see people better than and people worse than you.Take rest at the stops and you can do it.Good luck.
cathnmike

Post by cathnmike »

Thanks for that. I think you're right, it's important to remember it's not a race but a charity ride and there are likely to be people of all ages and abilities.

I'll try not to fall off the spinning bike tonight! :P
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

cathnmike wrote:Just to say that I ordered some cold-weather clothing from swrve.co.uk - thanks for that link, Dee Jay. Ordered yesterday at about 4pm and arrived this morning! Not cheap, but really good quality.

You're welcome, Cath.

Have you tried them on yet? What's the fit like?
Dee
cathnmike

Post by cathnmike »

Brill, I'm really pleased and their service was excellent. As I say not cheap but very good quality.

Thanks again. I'm now all togged out and have no more excuses not to ride - tonight spinning, tomorrow the bike for the first time in four years! :shock:
Dee Jay

Post by Dee Jay »

Cath, hi!

I have PM'd you.
Dee
burnsie

Post by burnsie »

Late motivation from me Kath, but fully support all the advice here....and am sure you can do this, so go for it!! (live in Hightown and sometimes ride out to s'port so will look out for you on training rides!!)

:D Dave