Modern bikes noisier?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
squeaker

Re: Modern bikes noisier?

Post by squeaker »

Syd wrote:With a solid rear carbon disc wheel the sound is very distinctive but difficult to describe.
Large, stiff, light area; bit like a loudspeaker cone :roll:
"42"
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I think it was an expensive looking carbon bike that came past me the other day -- sounded like a stone breaker ( not on free wheel but while he pedalled ) -- that would do my head in if I had to listen to that for 30 miles. My xt and 105 groupsets on mtb and road bikes are silent.
I am here. Where are you?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi All, I would be a good diversion for those who hate the sound of noisy cycles? My cycles are quiet, sadly I'm not called "Mersey Mouth" for nothing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No Bell needed! MM
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

My old Ti warhorse with 23 mm tyres was as quiet as a mouse in brothel-creepers. My current carbon butterfly sounds like someone running a tap full on into a steel sink. My nice new DT Swiss rear freewheel sounds like a young football rattle, and when I tried a 28 mm tyre on the front the wretched thing sang. No chance of folding your tent and silently stealing away on that clunker.

It is a very comfy ride, though.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
peetee

Post by peetee »

I commented earlier about how much smoother my 80’s bike was than my 2000 era 10 speed bike. Far, far worse than that relatively modern machine are the various 1x systems on bikes I have serviced. Without exception all the machines I have mentioned are in excellent condition and running faultlessly so it’s not a wear and tear related din, it’s just inherent in the system.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

In my experience one of the noise culprits are modern wheels. The fluted low spoke count ones seem to set up a whirring noise. My old 36 spoke wheels are almost silent.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

My bikes are both aluminum framed and my road bike is 2019 with 36 spoke wheels, 28mm tyres and therefore a little heavy at about 10kg ( probably about 13kg now with rack, locks and spares on board etc) but I don't think I could put up with carbon if that's the noise it made even when pedalling. Sounds like the frame is amplifying and the pilot doesn't know how to set up the derailers.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

bigjim wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 4:12pm In my experience one of the noise culprits are modern wheels. The fluted low spoke count ones seem to set up a whirring noise. My old 36 spoke wheels are almost silent.
The reason I didn't go for low spoke wheels is that I'd heard too many stories of how a bump off the curb could result in loose spokes and a clink on each revolution. I want my bike to be able to transport me to far off lands while loaded with all but the kitchen sink.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Got a new carbon bike with ultegra gears and fulcrum wheels, only you can generally hear is the tyres, otherwise very quiet.
Hope hubs are very noisy when freewheeling but also seem to be pretty well made and last well, quite handy for alerting pedestrians!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Agree with the above consensus.

I'll add that the noisiest component around CAN be disc brakes! (only a few do it, but you know one when you hear one ... )