Similar vehicles to Vauxhall Zafira

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
SimonCelsa

Similar vehicles to Vauxhall Zafira

Post by SimonCelsa »

My 2006 Vauxhall Zafira is getting close to the great scrapyard in the sky. Owned since 2009 and still only 75,000 miles on the clock, but bodywork corrosion and an intermittent electrical problem are steering me to purchase another vehicle.

The Zafira is ideal as I could fit 3 bikes and 3 people inside with a tandem on the roof. Ample space to sleep in the back should this ever be necessary, space for 7 people if required etc etc. An all round ideal vehicle.

I am not sure how the newer Zafira compares with the older model and hence would appreciate any recommendations on similar vehicles which people may have experience of.

I am looking for something ideally around 3 year old, less than 30,000 miles, around £12K - £13K, good headroom for getting bikes in the bike (dropping off front wheel as required), folding split rear seats, facility for fitting roof bars/box. Looking for circa 10 year ownership if possible.

I am not particularly interested in things like electric seat adjustments, bluetooth, sat nav, air con, leather trim, alloy wheels and the other cosmetic stuff. I would like a radio though!! I do not use a car for the daily commute and could basically do without but I think the family would complain somewhat.

I have seen a Ford Tourneo Courier petrol 1.0 ltr which looks like it might fit the bill, I don't really want anything transit sized.

Would appreciate any one line suggestions/recommendations to assist my new vehicle search.

Cheers
Jdsk

Re: Similar vehicles to Vauxhall Zafira

Post by Jdsk »

VW Touran.

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

My Carlton was similar to a Zafira: it was a Vauxhall, and it nearly caught fire.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Fabia estate
Octavia estate
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ford Smax or Cmax
We've had two Cmax(my daughter still has one of them)and they were/are great cars.
The Smax in fantastic,even better than the Cmax due to it handling better,it's a big MPV that drives like a small one.
To be clear we don't spent a lot of money when buying our cars but I do a lot of tyre kicking and investigating before we part with the cash.
I look for well looked after examples with minimum owners/maximum service record and not mega mileage eg; the current 2010 Smax was bought two years ago for £6k,55k miles FSH two owners and was A- condition,we've put 20K miles on it and it's never missed a beat,it's a similar story for the two Cmax's.
Ford IMHO make very good cars(and vans,I've had three LWB Transits as work vehicles all with similar stories) the other thing is servicing and parts are cheap as chips :D
Last edited by reohn2 on 8 Sep 2021, 9:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

reohn2 wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 6:43pm Ford Smax or Cmax
We've had two Cmax(my daughter still has one of them)and they were/are great cars.
The Smax in fantastic,even better than the Cmax due to it handling better,it's a big MPV that drives like a small one.
To be clear w don't spent a lot of money when buying our cars but I do a lot of tyre kicking and investigating before we part with the cash.
I look for well looked after examples with minimum owners/maximum service record and not mega mileage eg; the current 2010 Smax was bought two years ago for £6k,55k miles FSH two owners and was A- condition,we've put 20K miles on it and it's never missed a beat,it's a similar story for the two Cmax's.
Ford IMHO make vry good cars(and vans,I've had thre Transits with simila stories) the other thing is servicing and parts are cheap as chips :D
I used to work in design/development at Ford Research Centre. Ford are IMHO one of the best products out there (and without a premium price). We've had other makes (briefly) but always come back to Ford. As part of my work there (20+ years ago) we used to examine/strip competitors products as part of the process (a process used by other manufacturers as well). General public may not be aware, but most car parts (except body and sometimes engine) are bought in (unlike the old days), and the car .manufacturers. are little more than 'car assemblers' these days. Just about all mechanical parts and seats/trim are made by the same suppliers, irrespective of who you get your car from.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Paulatic wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 6:29pm Fabia estate
Octavia estate
+1
Also Roomster and Yeti.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why is there bodywork corrosion?
It's only a 2006 vehicle.

Electrical/electronic faults can scrap a vehicle as they are very expensive to fix.
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Not too sure why the corrosion has taken hold. It has spent it's entire life in the North of Scotland and possibly the winter road salt has gotten to it. When I worked at sea it spent 6 months of the year sat in a fairly well sheltered carport. Now I've been ashore for the past couple of years it is seldom used, maybe 20 miles per week on a Saturday evening getting the shopping in. I intend to work a bit less next year and possibly do a wee bit more local travel.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah .......... Scotland.

We've lived on and off in Scotland over past years.
Been down here in Cornwall for 30odd years though.

Bought cars in Scotland, and then moved "down south" only to find ours were rotting out but similar aged cars of the same make/model were fine.
Lived up there twice for extended periods and bought cars up there on both occasions.

The only cars down here in Cornwall that rot, are the ones kept near the sea. Inland, they don't seem to rust.
We put it down to the Scotland roads being salted more than the south of England roads.

Back in the 1977, we bought a very nice 4yr old Hillman Hunter in Dunfermline. Lovely 1725cc car and drove wonderfully.
Drove it down to Plymouth when we moved in 1980, but it came as a shock to me to see how the other Hunters much older than ours had almost perfect bodywork, when ours had rust spots and had to have new sills fitted.

I thought all those days had gone with road salt rotting cars.
I thought that a 2006 car would have been immune from it.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Grand Scenic is the other obvious contender
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

fastpedaller wrote: 8 Sep 2021, 6:54pm .......... Ford are IMHO one of the best products out there (and without a premium price)........
I agree,I've put some mega miles on Fords over the years,Cortina estate,Fiesta,Mondeo estate,Cmax,Smax,Transits.All extremely reliable,well built,well equipped and no rot,except for the Contina but it was a 1966 Mk1 :?
We've had Vauxalls and liked the two Carltons and the Omega but they had niggly problems,went back to ford and,well,never looked back,great cars :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We used to carry the tandems upside down with the rear seat in a holster and the rear bars in clamps. That way they'll go on any car with a roof rack, regardless of length.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My daughter has a VW Touran which is quite roomy. Dont think it has the self igniting feature though

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
peetee

Post by peetee »

VW Touran.
And incidentally, for those interested in running costs or put off VAG cars because of the scandal, I can recommend this site for real-world fuel consumption figures https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/vo ... ouran-2015
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.