Odd signs.....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jamesh

Odd signs.....

Post by Jamesh »

Out on the busy back road from Ikley to Bolton abbey I noticed approx 4 signs, yellow triangle shaped, not official but not amateur with what looked like a dog or a cow chasing a wheelchair.....!

Anyone have any idea what it's meant to warn of?

Perhaps a posh house when a guard dog lives and if you trespass you'll end up in a wheel chair?!!!

Cheers James
jb

Re: Odd signs.....

Post by jb »

Warning, wheel chair users taking there cows for a walk.
Cheers
J Bro
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Any photos of them?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jb

Post by jb »

Its a poor sign if its not immediately obvious!

Unless its only meant to be understood by those in the know.
Cheers
J Bro
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Next time I'm piddling up there I will take a picture!

Was doing langbar / Cow and calf so pressing on!

Cheers James
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Saw a sign a few weeks back saying "No payphone", with an arrow pointing into a village. Bit odd, I thought.

After some research, I discovered there used to be a payphone, but it had been removed. Rather than go to the trouble of removing the sign, as would be sensible/sane, they opted to add the word "No". On both sides of the sign, which must have taken longer than it would have to take the sign down. :?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jamesh wrote: 7 Sep 2021, 9:36pm Out on the busy back road from Ikley to Bolton abbey I noticed approx 4 signs, yellow triangle shaped, not official but not amateur with what looked like a dog or a cow chasing a wheelchair.....!

Anyone have any idea what it's meant to warn of?

Perhaps a posh house when a guard dog lives and if you trespass you'll end up in a wheel chair?!!!

Cheers James
At a guess, a warning to drivers to expect livestock and people in the road ahead.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Darkman wrote: 9 Sep 2021, 10:47pm Saw a sign a few weeks back saying "No payphone", with an arrow pointing into a village. Bit odd, I thought.

After some research, I discovered there used to be a payphone, but it had been removed. Rather than go to the trouble of removing the sign, as would be sensible/sane, they opted to add the word "No". On both sides of the sign, which must have taken longer than it would have to take the sign down. :?

But if you knew it had been there and were expecting it to be, 'no payphone' tells you more than the sign being missing.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Perhaps BT removed the kiosk and the traffic authority left the sign; perhaps the locals added the "NO"
Steve

Post by Steve »

The sign in question.
"Wheelchair user exercising dog", I'd say.
Attachments
20210916_171400.jpg
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Looks more like an Australian type sign but I would agree.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

That is the active wheelchair user logo, which is far nicer than the static ISO ones...

https://accessibleicon.org

Given that it is an Australian style sign I wonder if there is a wheelchair user who lives locally who has had issues with motorists being idiots?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jb

Post by jb »

Man & dog in hoop rolling contest
Cheers
J Bro
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems to meet the main requirement of road signs - causing confusion.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I read it as “Beware - dogs chase wheelchairs here”!