Anyone for Gas?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Re: Anyone for Gas?

Post by al_yrpal »

At the end of the day the reason that China remains the worlds largest producer of greenhouse gases is that it is the worlds biggest manufacturer with a very large population. So, as consumers of these manufactured goods its actually on us. The US is second with a fraction of the population of China. Logically it would be more effective to pressurise these countries instead of sitting on the M25 annoying many possible supporters. Will the road blocking activities be reported in China or the US, and will the public realise why China is the biggest polluter...unlikely :(

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That was then, this is now.....https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-worl ... wer-plants

80 countries have them and others are getting them.

We have closed coal fired stations wholesale because we realised they are a problem.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 10:59am At the end of the day the reason that China remains the worlds largest producer of greenhouse gases is that it is the worlds biggest manufacturer with a very large population. So, as consumers of these manufactured goods its actually on us. The US is second with a fraction of the population of China. Logically it would be more effective to pressurise these countries instead of sitting on the M25 annoying many possible supporters. Will the road blocking activities be reported in China or the US, and will the public realise why China is the biggest polluter...unlikely :(

Al
I suspect far more blocking of the M25 is caused by the inadequacy of the road for the amount of traffic it has to carry than by people sitting on it.

How much of the pollution that's got us to where we are now do you think was produced by China and how much by the UK?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 11:05am That was then, this is now.....https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-worl ... wer-plants

We have closed coal fired stations wholesale because we realised they are a problem.

Al
We closed coal fired power stations because the bloody Tories shut all the pits.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

pete75 wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 11:08am
al_yrpal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 11:05am That was then, this is now.....https://www.carbonbrief.org/mapped-worl ... wer-plants

Al
We closed coal fired power stations because the bloody Tories shut all the pits.
Straight from the voice of Boris Johnson, Al. The government is still reluctant to stop coal mining

People protest here, not to tell China but to tell our own government.
John
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

pete75 wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 11:05am
I suspect far more blocking of the M25 is caused by the inadequacy of the road for the amount of traffic it has to carry than by people sitting on it.
It's more the inadequacy of infrastructure for alternative & better modes of travel in the area leading to far too much travel by car. The M25 can never be anything but inadequate, it's an inherent property of roads and car based travel; never has any building or widening of the M25 ever resulted in it being anything other than a somewhat larger carpark in a couple of years.

So in a way it is caused by the people sitting on it, just it's mostly the ones sitting on it in part of an otherwise empty three piece suite & tonne or two of metal & glass.

At any rate, given our reliance upon gas for heating and electricity (around 50% of our electricity is being generated by CCGT plants over recent days) and the contribution of our poor housing stock to the UK's total footprint, the goals & actions of the protesters seem quite sensible to me. Government needs to pull its finger out.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 9:28am
PDQ Mobile wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 9:23amI have seen venn diagrams that suggest around 50% of the food on the plate "is oil".
What is being measured to get that figure of 50%, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
As I understand it it is the dependency of food on fossil fuel energy input from cultivation, transport, storage and fertilizer production.

From what I see on terms of agriculture on my travels and in my own rural community, I think it perfectly feasable.

I might add that domestically I manage a very low carbon establishment. Producing lots of food.
But it is not carbon neutral.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The first Earth Day was in 1970.

The folks in power still aren't listening. It's not effective to 'go after China' because they aren't listening, either. Things that disrupt people's lives, though? That might get some attention.

As far as I am concerned, protesters should shut down the M25 every day. And other motorways, too. The convenience of someone's trip being disrupted is nothing compared to the looming disaster.

If we don't make drastic changes very quickly; like WWII kind of effort, all over the world, we don't have much hope of preventing significant climate change. I do think that people underestimate the human race's capability to survive climate disaster. And our capability for innovation to mitigate it.

But I'd really rather we did this in a sensible way.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 10:59am ..... Logically it would be more effective to pressurise these countries instead of sitting on the M25 annoying many possible supporters. Will the road blocking activities be reported in China or the US, and will the public realise why China is the biggest polluter...unlikely :(
People sitting blocking the M25 used to annoy me when I used the roads. Sitting in their lorries, vans and in their cars, stationary and a complete block with engines running burning fuel, emitting pollution. Far better people sit on the M25 without cars or lorries or engines running.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 10:59am ..... Logically it would be more effective to pressurise these countries instead of sitting on the M25 annoying many possible supporters. Will the road blocking activities be reported in China or the US, and will the public realise why China is the biggest polluter...unlikely :(
The descriptions of the M25 protesters by climate change sceptics is going a bit over the top. Basically they are campaigning for more loft insulation yet Richard Madeley is calling them fascists.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 11:08am

Al
They shut them to break the unions not for environmental reasons despite what the liar in chief Boris Johnson claims about Thatcher.
The UK was importing coal including very low quality coal and orimulsion to burn in UK powerstaions loonnnngggg after the pits were shut!

As for the claim by some that China is the worst polluter,not by head of population it isn't,that accolade goes to the west.

One might check on China's clean energy program,which puts the UK to shame,before complaining about it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have been a big fan of insulation ever since awareness of climate problems emerged. People are right to draw attention to it. My objection is merely to their daft methods. There are other far more effective methods of raising awareness. All these protests will do is to provoke more crack downs by Ms Patel

Al
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Now complaints about shutting pits! You couldnt make it up!

Al
pete75

Post by pete75 »

al_yrpal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 2:10pm Now complaints about shutting pits! You couldnt make it up!

Al
Nooo - stating that was the reason for getting rid of coal fired power stations , not for environmental reasons as Johnson claims.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pete75 wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 11:05am
al_yrpal wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 10:59am At the end of the day the reason that China remains the worlds largest producer of greenhouse gases is that it is the worlds biggest manufacturer with a very large population. So, as consumers of these manufactured goods its actually on us. The US is second with a fraction of the population of China. Logically it would be more effective to pressurise these countries instead of sitting on the M25 annoying many possible supporters. Will the road blocking activities be reported in China or the US, and will the public realise why China is the biggest polluter...unlikely :(

Al

How much of the pollution that's got us to where we are now do you think was produced by China and how much by the UK?
You mean by the over reliance on cars rather than sensible modes of transport. We absolutely know that building more roads isn't a way to reduce congestion.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.