16" marathon plus - good deals?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

16" marathon plus - good deals?

Post by Tangled Metal »

I need something tougher than stock racers for my work brompton. Something real tough! Any recommendations? Both tyre choice and place to buy from.
gazza_d

Re: 16" marathon plus - good deals?

Post by gazza_d »

Have a look at the Small Tyre Shop ran by West Country Recumbents. They often have small wheel tyres in at reasonable prices. They have 16" M+ in for £21 but I'm not sure if that's cheap or not http://www.wrhpv.com/smalltyreshop/inde ... 349/date/1
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Best price I've seen, thanks.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I riding over gravel filled potholes, gravel supplied by waste recycling centre on estate. Contains glass and don't know what. Think M pluses are the toughest tyres out there so perhaps best choice.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Yup, Marathon Plus a good option for a working Brompton. If you are commuting on a Brompton, puncture resistance is far more important than the small weight saving & slightly lower rolling resistance a lighter tyre might give. Also, fixing a rear tyre puncture on a Brompton is not a nice roadside job.

I have run Marathon Pluses on my Brompton for years. Keep them pumped up to the maximum and they roll well. So far, touch wood, no punctures (I will now have one tomorrow).
geomannie
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I have the Marathon greenguard fitted to mine. They are a stock supply (OME).

As a touring tyre they are very puncture resistant, so happy to have them on my Brompton. Hard to tell how much 'less comfortable' they are on the little wheels.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Tannus tyres surely?!

Cheers James
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just got the marathons in the end from a lbs where I was this weekend. Impulse buy I guess. Just watched the rear tyre changing video. That lead to hub gear adjustment video and derailleur gear adjustment. That led to a can't be bothered this weekend. I bet I get a puncture now.

I wonder what it would feel like with a marathon front, easy change, and a racer stock tyre on the rear? Until next weekend and I have more time, of course, to play with the hub gear. If it's stuck in 2, I can always just use the derailleur gears to get up the steep hill. I rarely use 1 and 3 I can freewheel to avoid. That's if I stuff it up.

How hard are hub gears to adjust? I can see how they need it but what about the derailleur gears, will they need adjusting? Taking off a rear wheel of my road bike doesn't affect the gearing so I don't think the 2 speed derailleur on the Brompton will be affected, right? I need to learn sometime, although I doubt I'll change the tyre on the side of the road anyway. There designed for public transport afterall. 20 minutes walk to the train then catch the later one home. No issues. I think Brompton are made for taking home to sort out.