Panic buying, hoarding

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
roubaixtuesday

Re: Panic buying, hoarding

Post by roubaixtuesday »

jb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:15pm ...their gas and oil wealth goes a lot further per head for instance.
Denmark's oil production is more than 20x less than Norway, and more than 10x less than the UK.

Sweden and Finland produce precisely zero.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... production
jb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:15pm Our glorious leaders depend on high population levels to keep things cheap and them rich.
The glorious leaders of Norway and Sweden preside over significantly more immigration per capita than we do. Denmark is about the same, Finland rather less.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ation_rate
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 2:16pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:45pm
Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:07pm At Waitrose this morning it wasn’t just the caviar and sesame oil that was missing on the shelves. There were no frozen peas (and hardly any other frozen veg, for that matter although I wasn’t buying that).

Thankfully, the Spam shelf was fully stocked.

Have no fear, though. According to Mr Bolzonara, Mr Johnson has been begging emergency corned beef or something. You discover your real friends and likeminded allies in an crisis.
It really would be so much more convenient if the retailers could gather together the panic bought goods and clearly mark the Panic Buying Aisle.
On our hols ATM in St Neots......
When I read that I wondered how long until somebody (probably some Russian Government internet mis-information operator) puts out that ATMs are not being refilled because of driver shortages and we start having empty ATMs as people make sure they have enough cash for Christmas and ... we have a run on the banks that then need rescuing ... (again).

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 4:21pm
reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 2:16pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:45pm

It really would be so much more convenient if the retailers could gather together the panic bought goods and clearly mark the Panic Buying Aisle.
On our hols ATM in St Neots......
When I read that I wondered how long until somebody (probably some Russian Government internet mis-information operator) puts out that ATMs are not being refilled because of driver shortages and we start having empty ATMs as people make sure they have enough cash for Christmas and ... we have a run on the banks that then need rescuing ... (again).

Ian
The accommodation's rather compact but the cashback's brilliant.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 4:24pm The accommodation's rather compact but the cashback's brilliant.
Well,your right about the accomodation as we're in the caravan and it's cheaper than a hotel :wink:

PS,and the weather's great too :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 4:46pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 4:24pm The accommodation's rather compact but the cashback's brilliant.
Well,your right about the accomodation as we're in the caravan and it's cheaper than a hotel :wink:

Are you down in Branscombe BTW?, Sorry I just saw your in St. Neotts.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rjb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 5:00pm
reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 4:46pm

Are you down in Branscombe BTW?
No we're in St Neots Cambs until Monday
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jb

Post by jb »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 2:17pm
jb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:15pm ...their gas and oil wealth goes a lot further per head for instance.
Denmark's oil production is more than 20x less than Norway, and more than 10x less than the UK.

Sweden and Finland produce precisely zero.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... production
jb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 1:15pm Our glorious leaders depend on high population levels to keep things cheap and them rich.
The glorious leaders of Norway and Sweden preside over significantly more immigration per capita than we do. Denmark is about the same, Finland rather less.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ation_rate
I know some don't produce oil. the point was the economic model of the Scandinavian countries that most people allude to when dreaming of being more like them isn't something that's likely to work here.
Cheers
J Bro
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

Traffic queues into Sainsbury’s yesterday had backed up onto the main road and brought the town to a standstill! The first thing you come to is the petrol station, the car park for the supermarket is further on, so the car park was virtually empty because customers could not reach it. Madness!!! The irony is that when there is a fuel shortage (real or perceived), we all react by burning even more of it, inching forward in a queue, engines belching even more pollutants into the air. 😟. Mrs D takes the car to do the shopping today. Think I’ll ask if it can fit into the panniers of our bikes, guessing the answer is ‘No’. Utter madness!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Even if there is no overall petrol shortage there is a shortage due to non-delivery in some places, and not just because of panic buying. The non-delivery was there first.

A farmer on R4 this morning had just had to destroy £500k of tomatoes.

Anyone else old enough to remember when you could buy fuel, afford heating, the shelves were stocked and food wasn’t left to rot?

Obviously good preparation for the 2022 Festival of the UK.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 25 Sep 2021, 8:57am, edited 1 time in total.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

AlanD wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 4:46am Mrs D takes the car to do the shopping today. Think I’ll ask if it can fit into the panniers of our bikes, guessing the answer is ‘No’. Utter madness!
Just for info: we can fit all the contents of one of the shallow trolleys (about 100L capacity - not the full-depth 250L type) into four rear panniers. Sometimes we take a rucksack for light items in case there's a surplus, but it's hardly ever needed.

Probably depends how far away the supermarket is. Can you make two trips if necessary?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 7:51amAnyone else old enough to remember when you could buy fuel, afford heating, the shelves were stocked and food wasn’t left to rot?
"And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you"

Jonathan (One Lancashireman)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

We still have the fuel ration book from the seventies. :D
Mrs P reminds me it’s why we got married as we lived 40 ml apart and fuel for visits was getting hard.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Paulatic wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 9:04am We still have the fuel ration book from the seventies. :D
Mrs P reminds me it’s why we got married as we lived 40 ml apart and fuel for visits was getting hard.
I saw what you did there. :D
Are you sure it wasn't a convenient ruse? :shock:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 8:59am
Oldjohnw wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 7:51amAnyone else old enough to remember when you could buy fuel, afford heating, the shelves were stocked and food wasn’t left to rot?
"And you try and tell the young people of today that ... they won't believe you"

Jonathan (One Lancashireman)
what did you get in the supermarket.jpg
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

jb wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 10:58pm
I know some don't produce oil. the point was the economic model of the Scandinavian countries that most people allude to when dreaming of being more like them isn't something that's likely to work here.
Why not?

Your post suggested it was oil or immigration as I read it. It's neither of those, so what's stopping us becoming the Stockholm of the North Sea?

Serious question.