First Aid Training for DA Rides.

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
York Rally Committee

First Aid Training for DA Rides.

Post by York Rally Committee »

Major cycling events usually hire in external First Aid cover. On DA rides, is is also very useful to always have have at least one rider with Emergency First Aid, training.
Concern amongst a minority of my DA in N. Yorkshire, that anyone administering First Aid on a DA ride might be sued by the patient, or relatives, if wrong diagnosis/treatment is given.
Do we have protection from such prospective legal action? Answers from anyone in the know, please.
keepontriking

Re:First Aid Training for DA Rides.

Post by keepontriking »

Oh dear - "the can't help as I might be sued syndrome". It really is so sad taht some people think that way. If it were the case why would anyone ever bother to take a first aid course?
If you are attempting to save a life and are acting within your training you will be fine. I'd advise you contact your local St John Ambulance section and put the question to them for the full run down, then sign up for a course.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Isn't this the sort of thing the CTC has legal advice for? The law is a ass - a polite way of saying only a qualified lawyer can answer a q like this. It is no good being in the right if it later costs you so much to find out you go bust/barmy in the process. Mick Agar
Paul Power

Post by Paul Power »

In our business we organise everything from water based activities to cycle rides, cycle training etc and in all the years I've been involved as a partner in our businesses, I've never yet heard of anyone being sued under the circumstances described above.

Personally I think it's a shame that this sort of unfounded paranoi exists.

How about putting unfounded worry to one side and getting out there enjoying a good bike ride?

Paul Power
www.paulpower.co.uk
troywinters

Post by troywinters »

There used to be a scheme where once you had passed an exam with SJAB either FAW or public first aid cert. then you would be insured for the duration of the certificate i.e 3 years as long as you did what you had been trained to do. this without having to join the brigade.
but inspite of that I'd say dont worry This aint america yet and a jury here will be made of reasonable people like you and me. therefore if you do your best for someone by the roadside and it goes wrong well you did your best and no one can do any more than that and you're not a professional so you dont have a higher duty of care. save lifes first worry about lawsuits latter.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Donald Rumsfeld caused some amusement with his comments on the lines that there are some things we don't know, and we know that we don't know, and there are some things we don't know and we don't know we don't know.

It is amazing how many people will advise on the law when they don't know how much they don't know.