load of old bells

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mattsccm

Re: load of old bells

Post by mattsccm »

Some nicey screechy disc brakes are the best :D
I have had my share of the "well I didn't hear it " commesnt. I try to be polite but have been known to fail :lol:
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

MikeF wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 7:59pm
Something that really irritates me is cyclists who have no idea how to use a bell and then rant about pedestrians complaining as though it's their fault.
My understanding is that under the new Highway Code's rules, the onus of responsibility lies more with the the cyclist than that of the pedestrian.
https://wheelsforwellbeing.org.uk/wp-co ... sponse.pdf
I think some cyclists don't realise how quiet their bikes are and that when approaching people from behind they should consider using bell, horn, voice etc in plenty of time.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... -UQAvD_BwE
only £7
:lol: :lol:
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

There is a dual pedestrian/cycle path adjacent to the road on the last leg of my commute to work which I no longer use. The reason I no longer use it is that I have had more dangerous incidents on the path than I have on the road. The path is just wide enough for 2 pedestrians side-by-side and less than 1.5m form the limits of the carriageway (A 60mph single carriageway A road). My main issue is with pedestrians/runners walking/running in the same direction as I'm cycling. They are the worst, especially the ones wearing headphones. They are totally unpredictable as to which way they are going to move and it doesn't matter if you approach fast or slow. No amount of bell ringing gets their attention, and then if they catch a glimpse of my flashing front light the usually leap one way or the other without looking.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Tongue in cheek I thought I would share this suggestion that came in my inbox today referencing the Natchez Trace route:

Please be aware of dogs on the bicycle route as dogs also like lightly travelled, country roads. You might want to take an air horn to scare dogs away.

Maybe that would also scare pedestrians away as well. :wink:
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Fridays commute home gave rise to three occasions where I needed to ring my bell due to meandering pedestrians in a world of their own, all in roughly the same area (Castle Square/Bailgate area of Lincoln for those who know it). All three occasions I was given a thorough ignoring as the pedestrians ambled towards a collision course, one almost forcing me into a bollard as she abruptly changed direction.

On the run up to Castle Square I'd ridden up Spring Hill/Drury Lane, so riding pretty slowly and nearing the cobbles of the square I was undertaken by a Just Eat rider at speed on an e-bike squeezing through a narrow gap and very close to clipping my bars. It took me completely by surprise as I was moving across to avoid a meandering couple. I sure would have appreciated a bell or some other warning from the rider.