TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: TV licensing...

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:15am Hi,
I think to register you have to be on a webpage not an app?

Are you sure that it's not just finding your email, An active one that you're surfing with?

We don't know but it's possible you have discovered a loophole.
Or
Their software is being use to track your ISP ID to your location.

If they know it's you and you have a license then it's very possible every time you return, there just auto signing you in.

On the sly, when you had no license did you try to make an attempt, let's say success or failure your method?
They can't "finding your email, An active one that you're surfing with?" as there is no such thing. I don't browse the web with an e-mail. In practice I have over 100 e-mail addresses so which one would they get from my web browser (which knows nothing about my e-mail as I never use web access to my e-mails).

There are many different ways to register for iPlayer without an e-mail e.g. my Freeview box is registered for iPlayer through Freeview Play - a procss which does not use e-mail, no address, no IP (as I connected through a VPN when setting-up).

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 11:15am Hi,
I think to register you have to be on a webpage not an app?

Are you sure that it's not just finding your email, An active one that you're surfing with?

We don't know but it's possible you have discovered a loophole.
Or
Their software is being use to track your ISP ID to your location.

If they know it's you and you have a license then it's very possible every time you return, there just auto signing you in.

On the sly, when you had no license did you try to make an attempt, let's say success or failure your method?
How quaint... even my ISP doesn't know my email address, they know the throwaway one I gave them.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Obviously things have moved on and I've been left in the past.
At one time your email address could be dragged from your profile on the net.

But I would imagine today everything is tightened down so much, So it doesn't apply anymore.

It's only celebrities and politicians who are still exposing their inside leg measurements for everybody to see.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 10 Jan 2022, 12:09pmAt one time your email address could be dragged from your profile on the net.
What do you mean by "profile on the net", please?

Thanks

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Comments above only go to show exactly how difficult it is to accurately guage the level of exposure one has on-line and to whom. I've spent the last two decades working in IT (indeed have received training in GDPR matters!) and consider myself - unjustifiably, perhaps - to be at least of average intelligence and yet I have no idea how exposed is my pii and who out there can see what... I suspect I'm not alone.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Right.
Here we go.
Do as I do.

Yes, I know this is an AppleMac, but no doubt PCs are similar.
Go to your browser preferences and click on Privacy.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 15.59.17.png
Click on Manage Website Data and then Remove all data, and then click on Done.
All website cookies and data will be gone.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 15.59.44.png
Then, go to BBC.co.uk ............ I'm picking R4.
Click on the Play arrow.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 16.05.45.png
Then you get this.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 16.07.00.png
Click on Register.

Then say you're over 13 and put in a fictitious date of birth.
I did 21 12 1980
Then Continue.

Then fill in absolute fiction.

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 16.14.57.png
Click on Register, No Thanks, and then Continue .............. and you're in.
I have no idea where that postcode is, other than it's Liverpool somewhere. They want a valid postcode, so I went through the alphabet randomly.

Use my info and do it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS.
Screenshot of my passwords.
Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 17.14.12.png
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Licence fee frozen for the next 2 years. With inflation expected to reach 6% the BBC are reported to have to make savings of 2 billion pounds!
Help them out Mick F!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Nadine Dorries: BBC licence fee announcement will be the last
She said "the days of the elderly being threatened with prison sentences and bailiffs knocking on doors" were over.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60014514

She's assuming she'll be "Culture" secretary beyond the next couple of weeks
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Hi Simon :These guys are like Arnold in the Terminator they never give up.I watch TV for only 1 hour a month but pay coz BBC content is so good on Radio.
My fiends say simply let them in and look round.However there is an issue of personal freedom.Many of us might not use product X but you do not get people knocking on doors to check.Note you could follow my post on Pope Francis-he refuses to watch TV at all.
At the end of the day they get paid to check and they follow through to get the income.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Licence fee to be abolished by 2027? Sweetener to win back the lumpenproletariat red-wall voters, I guess. De-funding the BBC to the point that all they'll be able to broadcast is game shows and the like ... will they care?

Admittedly it's been years, decades even, since the Beeb's glory days of the 1950s/60s/70s. Remember Forsyte Saga? Hancock's Half-Hour? War and Peace?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

661-Pete wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:14pm Licence fee to be abolished by 2027? Sweetener to win back the lumpenproletariat red-wall voters, I guess. De-funding the BBC to the point that all they'll be able to broadcast is game shows and the like ... will they care?

Admittedly it's been years, decades even, since the Beeb's glory days of the 1950s/60s/70s. Remember Forsyte Saga? Hancock's Half-Hour? War and Peace?
On another thread it was said that many young people think we live in a systemically racist society. Many young people also think they shouldn't pay for a service they don't use (whether they actually do use it more than they think or let on is another matter). But media is changing, we can't pretend it isn't.

I have no problem with the licence fee, but I am relatively old. But the young (whose interests are always mentioned when there are discussions on Brexit, or housing availability, or.....) don't universally love the licence fee. It's a fact that older people are going to have to get used to. You're looking to our future remember...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

The Daily Mail is all for removing the Licence fee (maybe just the BBC in truth).
The low numbers of young people who watch/listen to the BBC is cited as a reason to get rid.
As we get older our listening changes. When I was young Pop and Rock and little news. Today it's reversed and I value the BBC news and documentary output.
I'm in a difficult position of watching and listening to the BBC but cannot pay the fee as I don't have a UK address to register to.
I'd willingly stump up (£169?) if I could. Someone suggest giving the money to a charity but that misses the point.
There are many like me who watch without paying, some willingly some not.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

francovendee wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 8:05am I'm in a difficult position of watching and listening to the BBC but cannot pay the fee as I don't have a UK address to register to.
I'd willingly stump up (£169?) if I could. Someone suggest giving the money to a charity but that misses the point.
You need this... (if this link hasn't been posted in 113 pages it should have been).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lzS8yW8INA
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

francovendee wrote: 17 Jan 2022, 8:05am The Daily Mail is all for removing the Licence fee (maybe just the BBC in truth).
The low numbers of young people who watch/listen to the BBC is cited as a reason to get rid.
As we get older our listening changes. When I was young Pop and Rock and little news. Today it's reversed and I value the BBC news and documentary output.
I'm in a difficult position of watching and listening to the BBC but cannot pay the fee as I don't have a UK address to register to.
I'd willingly stump up (£169?) if I could. Someone suggest giving the money to a charity but that misses the poinxt.
Send the Beeb a cheque...simples. As those young folk age I am sure that they will grow to use the Beeb more and more.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......