DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: DVLA nearly over 70 renewing licence

Post by Mick F »

In the old days, anyone finding something could hand it in at the local police station.
These days, we don't seem to have a police force at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 2 Dec 2021, 10:02am In the old days, anyone finding something could hand it in at the local police station.
These days, we don't seem to have a police force at all.
Devon & Cornwall Police:

Lost property

There is a free, quick and easy way to report lost property. There is no charge for Devon and Cornwall Residents.

Simply follow the link and complete the online form at the Report My Loss website.

Your lost item will be added to a police-approved, national database that can be viewed by police nationally.

Once you have completed the form (which you can update or edit at any time), you will receive a lost property reference number which can be used for your insurance claim, should you choose to make one.

What to do with found items

Most found property does NOT need to be passed to police.

Items can be handed to the premises owner or public transport operator where they were found.

You can also use the Record found property form to let us know that you have found an item.

The following items should be taken to your local police enquiry office:

Mobile phones, laptops, cameras – anything with an internal memory
Personal ID - such as passport, driving licence, bank card, utility bills
Drugs
Significant amounts of cash
For your nearest Police Enquiry Offices (PEOs) across Devon and Cornwall please visit the Police Enquiry Offices page.

Please ring 101 for advice before moving the following items (or 999 if there is an immediate threat to life):

Poison or any hazardous substance/liquid
Firearms and ammunition
Explosives (or what appears to be an explosive)
What to do about stray animals:

If you find a stray dog and it has no address tag or telephone number on its collar, please contact your local authority dog warden, via your local council’s Environmental Health Department, who will be able to help you.

For any other stray animals, please visit:

pets located
national pet register
The Police only need to be informed if a stray animal is on the public highway..

https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/co ... -property/

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There was a bit of discussion earlier in this thread about police warrant cards. There seems to be a good case for asking to see them and then making a close examination. The fact that some body is wearing what look like police togs and standing near a police van does not necessarily mean they are the real thing rather than a ganiff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59540781
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That man is a prat.

Who the heck gave him permission for that? He/she should be sacked for bringing in the police force into disrepute.

Disgraceful in the highest (lowest?) degree.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Applied online Monday for mine received today (Thursday). :D Can’t knock that.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Well at long last it arrived :shock: on Saturday 08/01/22
By contrast I applied for a passport on Christmas Eve, the whole process took less than an hour and that included speaking to a referee for my ID. The passport arrived before the driving licence. Somewhat ironic that I can get a passport to go virtually anywhere in the world in a matter of a few weeks (and be kept up to date with it's progress) and yet it takes nearly 9 months to get a driving licence to go and do my shopping 1/4 mile away.
It beggars belief !!!
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Glad to hear you are sorted. AIUI, you should think yourself lucky you didn't have to send something like your passport to Swansea. I was reading something the other day about somebody who applied for a HGV licence based on their Polish(?) HGV credentials and their passport had been in the black hole ie Swansea for months. In short, if it's online you are ok; if people are involved, don't hold your breath
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 9:30am Glad to hear you are sorted. AIUI, you should think yourself lucky you didn't have to send something like your passport to Swansea. I was reading something the other day about somebody who applied for a HGV licence based on their Polish(?) HGV credentials and their passport had been in the black hole ie Swansea for months. In short, if it's online you are ok; if people are involved, don't hold your breath
Not necessarily. In the summer I needed proof that I'd Sorned a vehicle three years ago. I rang Swansea and the lady who answered the phone said they'd post out a copy of the Sorn notice. It arrived two days later.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm pleased you got good service.
========================================================================
Here's the latest (10 January 2022) from the horseless carriage licenser's mouth
Paper applications

As a result of ongoing COVID safety measures and the impact of previous industrial action by members of the Public and Commercial Services union, there are ongoing delays with processing paper applications.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and our staff are working hard to reduce waiting times. There may be additional delays in processing more complex cases, for example, if medical investigations are needed as part of your driving licence application.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona ... -19-update

The same link has a list of where they are up to with different types of application. the longest listed delay seems to be
Renew a driving licence with a new photo 19 October 2021
(Nearly three months in the old money.)
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

thirdcrank wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 11:05am I'm pleased you got good service.
========================================================================
Here's the latest (10 January 2022) from the horseless carriage licenser's mouth
Paper applications

As a result of ongoing COVID safety measures and the impact of previous industrial action by members of the Public and Commercial Services union, there are ongoing delays with processing paper applications.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and our staff are working hard to reduce waiting times. There may be additional delays in processing more complex cases, for example, if medical investigations are needed as part of your driving licence application.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/dvla-corona ... -19-update

The same link has a list of where they are up to with different types of application. the longest listed delay seems to be
Renew a driving licence with a new photo 19 October 2021
(Nearly three months in the old money.)
how do they get from January 2022 to October 2021. they obviously haven't got a clue what they are doing. Even worse how they are disrupting the lives of people who need a licence to get about. and the Covid get out of jail free card doesn't wash either. I was about to start making a serous complaint and was directed to the Ombudsman there I read a report that in 2015 the ombudsman service had investigated the DVLA situation and in 2016 told them to get it in order. well before Covid 19. I don't blame the poor guys on the end of the telephone it's the higher ups that need a rocket. for my money it's gross incompetence.
sorry guys rant over :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

From my link, I also found this, which might be relevant to some of us oldies on here
Applying to renew a driving licence if you have a medical condition

As the NHS is prioritising resource to support the COVID-19 booster vaccination rollout, we have agreed with the Department of Health and Social Care to temporarily pause referrals to doctors for further information to support driving licence applications. This means some driving licence applications will take longer but we will continue to prioritise applications for bus and lorry driving licences. (My emphasis.)
I don't know what this means in practice but it sounds as though it might stop some older drivers from driving by administrative decision. Obviously, nobody should be driving if they are not fit to do so, but this is different imo
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

ferrit worrier wrote: 16 Jan 2022, 8:53am it takes nearly 9 months to get a driving licence
It 'only' took 5 months to get mine back when the DVLA medical centre had it, and I thought that was a long while.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A report here of a case I found interesting when somebody ignored the DVLA and its predecessors for a lifetime

Prosecution for man who says he drove without licence for 70 years
Insp Christine Busuttil added: "We would like to reassure the public we are regularly out on patrols, use camera vans and run operations to clamp down on motorists who commit offences on our roads and place other road users at risk.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-n ... e-60173188

Perhaps a case which doesn't reassure the public at all. My other point is that as this is almost certain to be the end of his driving career in which he has not apparently previously "come to police attention" this could have been dealt with by a caution. I wonder if the initial publicity on social media has backfired.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I assume because he has never had insurance he also never displayed a valid tax disc in his window all those years. He can’t of parked up in a town? :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Without a public inquiry, we'll never know. The driver may have embroidered his account. It does show the dangers of policing by social media: a tweet about the police catching somebody has unwittingly given an insight into the countless occasions when they may not have done so. Even in the days when much more routine attention was paid to things like tax discs