One man and his bike....

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jamesh

One man and his bike....

Post by Jamesh »

One man and his bike is a good read about a journo who cycles around the coast of Britain.

Little about the bike, more about places and people...

Rather like Bill Bryson on a bike!

Cheers James
dav66

Re: One man and his bike....

Post by dav66 »

Read it , actually really enjoyed it . would love to do something like that one day ,don't know if the wife or work would be to happy if I just took off for that amount of time :lol:
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I enjoyed this too.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
RevDonkBonkers

Post by RevDonkBonkers »

Read this book last year and it inspired me to buy a bike and do this myself, I am quitting my job this month and leaving to do it in April.
pwa

Post by pwa »

RevDonkBonkers wrote: 9 Jan 2022, 7:38pm Read this book last year and it inspired me to buy a bike and do this myself, I am quitting my job this month and leaving to do it in April.
Would you consider posting a daily diary on this Forum?
RevDonkBonkers

Post by RevDonkBonkers »

I will definitely keep some kind of diary of it, I was thinking of starting a Facebook page, I am not sure of forum etiquette, but if I did that could I link to it from here when done?
horizon

Post by horizon »

RevDonkBonkers wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:06am I will definitely keep some kind of diary of it, I was thinking of starting a Facebook page, I am not sure of forum etiquette, but if I did that could I link to it from here when done?
You could link but for those of us who aren't on Facebook it wouldn't be possible to view it (AFAIK).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

horizon wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 12:13pm
RevDonkBonkers wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 9:06am I will definitely keep some kind of diary of it, I was thinking of starting a Facebook page, I am not sure of forum etiquette, but if I did that could I link to it from here when done?
You could link but for those of us who aren't on Facebook it wouldn't be possible to view it (AFAIK).
I can't get access to most of Facebook. Just keeps asking me to login and I wont open any Facebook account (I am not a product).

If it were me I'd setup my own site. Cheap, easy and under your control and e.g. with Wordpress easy to update and maintain whilst on tour.

Ian
RevDonkBonkers

Post by RevDonkBonkers »

Psamathe wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 12:16pm If it were me I'd setup my own site. Cheap, easy and under your control and e.g. with Wordpress easy to update and maintain whilst on tour.
Yes I have actually bought a domain and got WordPress set up on it. I actually run three WordPress websites as a way of generating passive income, so I am quite familiar with it. However I guess I wanted to use the cycle to get away from technology etc as much as possible after working from home and being welded to my desktop computer far too much!

I don't own a laptop and have no idea how easy WordPress is to edit from a mobile as I've never tried it, but I suppose it is always a possibility.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RevDonkBonkers wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 12:51pm
Psamathe wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 12:16pm If it were me I'd setup my own site. Cheap, easy and under your control and e.g. with Wordpress easy to update and maintain whilst on tour.
Yes I have actually bought a domain and got WordPress set up on it. I actually run three WordPress websites as a way of generating passive income, so I am quite familiar with it. However I guess I wanted to use the cycle to get away from technology etc as much as possible after working from home and being welded to my desktop computer far too much!

I don't own a laptop and have no idea how easy WordPress is to edit from a mobile as I've never tried it, but I suppose it is always a possibility.
I've managed to post daily posts to Wordpress site (photos, tracks, altitude profiles) over 2 tours each of 2 months, plus travels South America and SE Asia (4+ months and 3 months) using a tablet (low end rather old iPad). iPad/tablet also useful for creating routes, backing-up photos, etc.

Ian
RevDonkBonkers

Post by RevDonkBonkers »

Yes I have no doubt I could do it if I bought a tablet, etc, but it is more a question of whether I want to do it. It is something I will have to think about.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RevDonkBonkers wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 4:04pm Yes I have no doubt I could do it if I bought a tablet, etc, but it is more a question of whether I want to do it. It is something I will have to think about.
I have been told that on Facebook there is no way to export what you have posted on your page (e.g. to export to other sites). I don't use it so cannot confirm that but assuming what others have said is the case it becomes something of a "black hole".

Ian
CathM

Post by CathM »

I also read "One Man and his "Bike" recently, and enjoyed it very much. It certainly made me itch to go cycle touring again, come the spring. Often when I read travel books I admire the writing and enjoy the descriptions of places, but don't warm to the author. Mike Carter came over as a nice bloke, one I'd be happy to meet on a tour, and he describes places and people with humour. I'd recommend the book for reading on dark January evenings.
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

I'm definitely going to give this read a try. I listened to Aleister Humphreys book on audible and enjoyed, while marooned in a tiny tent during a storm.

Adventures are cool.